M11, happy launch anniversary.

SrMi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, Harout62 said:

If this thread is about the 1 year experience with the M11. Why do we have to read about why people did not buy one and why they chose an M10R , or how great and happy they are with their M10R.  Lol. 
 I think I am going to start posting on the M10 pages on how happy I am with my M11. , post pictures of my M11 , and keep telling everyone on why I traded my M10R FOR MY M11. 

Sorry I will stay out of your fiefdom. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, jqian6 said:

You think M10 people couldn't do the same by coming here M11 sub-forum making posts about how happy they are with their M10R, posting pictures of their M10Rs, keeping telling everyone why they sold their M11 for their M10Rs?

Ahhhh they do non stop , all year 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Harout62 said:

If this thread is about the 1 year experience with the M11. Why do we have to read about why people did not buy one and why they chose an M10R , or how great and happy they are with their M10R.  Lol. 
 I think I am going to start posting on the M10 pages on how happy I am with my M11. , post pictures of my M11 , and keep telling everyone on why I traded my M10R FOR MY M11. 

I posted to see what I might be missing by not upgrading. So far, besides yours, there's been some informative responses. 

Edited by thatkatmat
  • Like 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb SrMi:

This is my list of M11 advantages:

- Much improved live view and EVF

- Improved PDR, at the level of best Nikon and Sony cameras

- Triple-resolution modes allow you to shoot at lower resolution without sacrificing image quality.

- Multi-field metering can make your life easier if you have issues with center-weighted metering.

- Lower base ISO may allow keeping the aperture one stop wider.

- The electronic shutter (faster max shutter speed) also allows shooting wide open in bright light (no need for ND filters)

- According to CIPA measurements, battery life is much better (210 vs. 700 shots).

- Long exposure (up to 60 minutes) works amazingly well, even without LENR (tested up to 10 minutes).

- Lighter camera body if going with black.

- In-camera body charging is a good backup.

- Internal memory can be used as a backup card when necessary.

- Compatibility with old lenses has been improved.

- Better flare resistance as there is more room in the chamber.

An impressive list of improvements and I wouldn't want to give the M11 away. However, there are still annoying things that should not be kept quiet and that are unworthy of the camera (and Leica):

First and foremost is the problem of overexposure, which happens every now and then and unpredictably. This is a core function of every camera that has to work.

In second place, from my point of view, is the poor implementation of the actually very useful internal memory. Why can neither the Leica app nor Lightroom on the Mac tell the two memories (internal and SD) apart? Why are no preview images displayed when you want to import directly from the camera via USB-C cable into Lightroom?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, elmars said:

An impressive list of improvements and I wouldn't want to give the M11 away. However, there are still annoying things that should not be kept quiet and that are unworthy of the camera (and Leica):

First and foremost is the problem of overexposure, which happens every now and then and unpredictably. This is a core function of every camera that has to work.

In second place, from my point of view, is the poor implementation of the actually very useful internal memory. Why can neither the Leica app nor Lightroom on the Mac tell the two memories (internal and SD) apart? Why are no preview images displayed when you want to import directly from the camera via USB-C cable into Lightroom?

Actually, i experienced another issues.. dont know if it’s related to overexposure

while transferring files, i could see three thumbnails with artifacts, and LR definitely couldnt open ‘em

i dont review the images while shooting, i might have missed it not aware till when im transferring, yeah this kind of things shouldnt happen..

i dont use the internal memory yet as it’s a back up.. that being said, i enjoy using the M11, battery is amazing.. 556 shots, down to 80-75%

Edited by jakontil
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, DOJ said:

It does. The more stuff you put into an M the less it will feel like a mechanical rangefinder and more like a modern mirrorless camera. That’s why I’m done with digital M’s with the M10R. If anything I would go “backwards” to film if I need to buy a new camera. 

I might have until I noticed the price of film the other day!!

NZ $50 for 3 rolls. Plus processing. 

Edited by Kiwimac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/16/2023 at 8:30 PM, Harout62 said:

If this thread is about the 1 year experience with the M11

It’s a one year anniversary but we all have our stories.  Eg I went to a Leica store and played with it.  Then we discussed it a whole year and everyone was wrapping their head around it.  Some got it done didn’t, all good to share why and how.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SrMi said:

This thread is like an anniversary party. It is customary to be nice to the celebrant. :)

I’m afraid so many have fallen into the “this is why I didn’t buy camera X rut” they simply can’t climb out of it. 

A while ago, I got a very demanding Chinese boss, who often berated me.  Initially it often made me upset.  But then they explained to me it just means he cares about me.  He’d simply ignore and get rid of those he didn’t care about.  The criticisms from fellow Leica users should be taken in the same vein.:). Happy birthday M11!

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, setuporg said:

A while ago, I got a very demanding Chinese boss, who often berated me.  Initially it often made me upset.  But then they explained to me it just means he cares about me.  He’d simply ignore and get rid of those he didn’t care about.  The criticisms from fellow Leica users should be taken in the same vein.:). Happy birthday M11!

Chinese bosses with a declaration of love for the M10 are invited to choose the M10 forum :D.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, jqian6 said:

dude, it's called gaslighting. Chinese bosses are good at it. By the way, I am a Chinese ethnically, before anyone accuses me stereotype :)

Totally.  I’ve ended up with more respect to that boss and learned a lot of valuable lessons and achieved more.  All applicable here as well!

• Like 2

Another happy m11 user here. 

Returned to the rangefinder club this month (m6, mp, m9 a few years back). Partnered my m11 with the excellent 21SEM for a bit of a challenge. no doubt will add a few others later down the line (50mm ‘lux surely next). DR, iso performance excellent. I also like the perspective control (is this new to the m11?)

USB c + direct charging - means I never take the battery out - so don’t notice the baseplate change (although I am a sucker for a little heritage). 

haven’t had a problem with the internal memory to require a memory card (yet) - not sure I will. 

and freezegate? Pah is what it is - I’m sure it will get ironed out. 

onwards and upwards. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2023 at 12:49 PM, setuporg said:

Exactly, gaslighting M11 users is totally legitimate and helpful as it leads to a better M11-P and M12!:)

Why not just be honest and call it a sport for you?

Last time I checked M11 users aren't being tapped to build M11-P's or M12's

50 minutes ago, Kwesi said:

Why not just be honest and call it a sport for you?

Last time I checked M11 users aren't being tapped to build M11-P's or M12's

Most of this forum consists of debates of features, so it might be a sport for some to insist their stuff is fine?  Sorry, no sacred cows here last time I checked.

I’m quite sure that Leica product team peruses this forum very thoroughly, and that input influences design of the next models.

37 minutes ago, setuporg said:

Most of this forum consists of debates of features, so it might be a sport for some to insist their stuff is fine?  Sorry, no sacred cows here last time I checked.

I’m quite sure that Leica product team peruses this forum very thoroughly, and that input influences design of the next models.

What direction would you like to influence Leica in if i may ask?