SOOGZ alternatives

Advertisement (gone after registration)

New to this forum, but not new to Leica...

Wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to genuine SOOGZ for my several screw mount A36 lenses... On my Leica Standard I bought the FISON hood, but for my other screw mount lenses, I'm looking for inexpensive (Chinese?) SOOGZ replicas so that I can use 39mm filters / hoods etc.

Any help is appreciated

Justin

I haven't seen a modern replica (which is a bit surprising, as it's an obvious thing to make now that the original has become expensive). You might want to get a FIKUS hood, which is 'zoomable' and can be used on several lenses. Some (all?) of the A36 lenses also have filter threads for which you can get conventional stepping rings or use directly with modern filters, though they tend to be odd sizes - e.g. 19mm for the 5cm Elmar f/3.5 (which allows you to use the aperture lever with the filter mounted), or 34mm for some others.

Edited by Anbaric

I too wonder why no replica SOOGZ has been produced. In the meantime, I've made several relatively cheap clamp-on hoods for A36 lenses by removing the glass from A36 clamp-on filters (not Leitz originals) and epoxying old push-on hoods of the correct size to the front of the former filter rings.

Alan

Here's a step-up ring that I think would work if you have one of the A36 lenses that also has a 34mm thread (though I haven't tried it):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/160328-REG/Heliopan_700293_34mm_39mm_Step_Up.html

Previous discussion of A36 lenses with 34mm threads:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/357691-filter-for-summaron-28f56-1956

Edited by Anbaric

14 hours ago, nf3996 said:

I too wonder why no replica SOOGZ has been produced. In the meantime, I've made several relatively cheap clamp-on hoods for A36 lenses by removing the glass from A36 clamp-on filters (not Leitz originals) and epoxying old push-on hoods of the correct size to the front of the former filter rings.

Alan

That's definitely something I'll think about doing! 

Thanks for the idea!