M11 LIVE-VEIW ISSUES WITH LENS PROFILES - VIGNETTING OCCURS AT DIFFERENT LEVELS

jacksbenjamin

One last thing occurred to me this morning after reading your note.  I didn't recall any display graphics in you rvideo that showed where the focus point was, so I went back and reviewed your video to confirm that.  From the video, it certainly seemed as if you were center or highlight weighted with the focus point centered, aperture wide or close to wide open? Regardless my display setup has various aids on... 9x9, e-level, focus point... perhaps enabling/disabling graphic aids has an effect. If I get a chance I'll try shutting off all aids later today.

On 1/13/2023 at 8:52 AM, jacksbenjamin said:

Hi all, hope everyone is having a beautiful start to their 2023! Love this community and would be very appreciative for any insight on the following.

Since the firmware updates of 1.3 and 1.6 I notice that the camera has LiveView issues with Lens Profiles, essentially when you are viewing and scanning various indoor areas (that is where you see this most) vignetting becomes more or less introduced, as if the camera is making real time adjustments to the lens profile that has been input, or if the Lens Profile has been set to auto. NOW - If you turn OFF the lens profile function this all goes away, but of course we want to know what lenses we shot with for our metadata so I don't see lens data off as a great solution for this, I experienced this with my SL2 and then later Leica fixed it, but its quite distracting when shooting with LiveView from back of camera or with the VisoFlex.

Anyone else experience this?

I filmed the back of the camera while hand-held tilting to show what happens, please excuse the shaky hands but I was filming the back of the M while also holding the iPhone, but you can see the shifts of vignetting as the camera tilts up and down. You can see video here >> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gF5Z3hJy6mlP3uS6kxKmSYiD3TXWW5Vl/view?usp=sharing

Any thoughts greatly appreciated! 

BEN JACKS // www.ben-jacks.com   

Sounds like the camera is adjusting the vignette correction amount based on the aperture, which on the M is a guess and can be easily fooled.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jacksbenjamin said:

@hdmesa - much appreciated for that hypothesis! I tried stopping down to more ‘stable’ apertures 2.8 etc and it does seem to resolve the issue a bit more; but it is still there. The quest for the answer continues! Appreciate your feedback amigo 🙏🏽

Maybe you should check the guesstimated apertures in EXIF  against the real ones during your experiment. 

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, wanted to follow up and let those following this thread know I had a great chat with Brian the head Tech Manager at the NJ repair office for Leica, and this is what he said below -- I can confirm it is a firmware Len Profile issue and hopefully Leica will be issuing a firmware update to resolve this. His note below! Hope this gives everyone some clarity.

- Ben 

"

Good afternoon Mr. Jacks, Over the past couple days in the office, I’ve had the chance to handle your camera mounted with a couple different lenses and can confirm what you have been experiencing. Our technician has reflashed the firmware on your camera. Unfortunately, the flickering of the vignette is still occurring. Whether it is actually switching between profiles I can’t immediately say for sure, but this does appear to be something present on other M11 bodies as well. This shouldn’t affect your actual image or the consistency from image to image, but I completely understand how you’d find this distracting. We’ve gone ahead and opened up a ticket with our firmware engineers to see if this can be rectified. I’ve also reached out to another colleague of mine to confirm he’s experiencing this anomaly on his m11 and I’m awaiting a response. I regret to say this is likely not something that will be rectified immediately, but I assure you we are bringing this to the attention of the appropriate people in the company to hopefully facilitate a firmware update in the future" 

• Thanks 5