M11 LIVE-VEIW ISSUES WITH LENS PROFILES - VIGNETTING OCCURS AT DIFFERENT LEVELS

jacksbenjamin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, hope everyone is having a beautiful start to their 2023! Love this community and would be very appreciative for any insight on the following.

Since the firmware updates of 1.3 and 1.6 I notice that the camera has LiveView issues with Lens Profiles, essentially when you are viewing and scanning various indoor areas (that is where you see this most) vignetting becomes more or less introduced, as if the camera is making real time adjustments to the lens profile that has been input, or if the Lens Profile has been set to auto. NOW - If you turn OFF the lens profile function this all goes away, but of course we want to know what lenses we shot with for our metadata so I don't see lens data off as a great solution for this, I experienced this with my SL2 and then later Leica fixed it, but its quite distracting when shooting with LiveView from back of camera or with the VisoFlex.

Anyone else experience this?

I filmed the back of the camera while hand-held tilting to show what happens, please excuse the shaky hands but I was filming the back of the M while also holding the iPhone, but you can see the shifts of vignetting as the camera tilts up and down. You can see video here >> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gF5Z3hJy6mlP3uS6kxKmSYiD3TXWW5Vl/view?usp=sharing

Any thoughts greatly appreciated! 

BEN JACKS // www.ben-jacks.com   

@Photoworks - thanks for your thoughtful response! I checked exposure preview with it on permanent, at half shutter release, and off — and it still occurs. Then when I turn OFF the lens profiles function, it all goes away.

it’s pretty subtle the vignetting — but I do find it distracting so I may need to just live with no lens profiles until next update? 🧐

39 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

it looks like an exposure preview adjustment to me. as you tilt up the sealing vignetting appears lighter, but in reality you just moving from the center light source.

try again with exposure preview to permanently, and even lighting.

@lct thanks for you response amigo! I have my own user profile on camera which is active, I have also assigned the lens profile - Summilux 11874 from the look up menu, and also tried with it on auto sensing.

in all scenarios it shows this live view vignette changing etc, but when I turn off lens profile it goes away. 

it’s a mystery as to why it’s happening!

When you tilt the camera, do you happen to have your finger over the external exposure meter?  The camera guesstimates the aperture by this means combined with the actual exposure. If that is incorrect the vignetting compensation will be incorrect. 

@lct thank you! I did try another user profile and did not work sadly.  @Photoworks very much appreciate you trying both lenses! I tried a Summilux 35 11874 and a Voigtlander and it happens on both, it’s most notices when scanning a white wall where you can really see the vignette changes. And again it all goes away when Len profiles are turned off. It’s a mystery! Really appreciate everyone’s insights. Will keep digging for the solve…

1 minute ago, jacksbenjamin said:

@lct thank you! I did try another user profile and did not work sadly.  @Photoworks very much appreciate you trying both lenses! I tried a Summilux 35 11874 and a Voigtlander and it happens on both, it’s most notices when scanning a white wall where you can really see the vignette changes. And again it all goes away when Len profiles are turned off. It’s a mystery! Really appreciate everyone’s insights. Will keep digging for the solve…

Did you try to reset the camera?

Thanks! @lct tried that as well — great idea, but still a bust. It’s certainly most noticeable in indoor areas with lots of white whereas outside it’s pretty subtle. But still there. And of course once I disable lens profiles it’s gone. So strange! Anyhow, you all have been very kind in helping navigate. If you find a solve, awesome, but don’t want to take up too much bandwidth from the community. 🙏🏽

3 hours ago, jacksbenjamin said:

And of course once I disable lens profiles it’s gone. So strange!

Quite odd.  I would have thought if lens corrections were being applied in real time that you'd see the opposite... more vignette with profiles disabled. 

I tried to reproduce this with an uncoded 75 'lux, but despite monkeying with a number of settings... metering modes, enabling and disabling lens detection, rear display vs EVF... nada. The only thing I see when panning from a darker scene over to a bright light is the exposure changing.

@Photoworks indeed correct! Vignetting is def there naturally (which I love), it’s just the pronounced effect changes (real time differences) with the Lens Prof on as I pan and scan which is the mystery. I hope to uncover answers from Kathy at the Leica NJ office this week. Will keep everyone posted! 🙌🏽

Edited by jacksbenjamin