Exposure Spot Metering - Circle?

Ian R

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Folks, still relatively new to the Q2 but the manual indicates that the 'Spot metering (exposure not AF) only captures and analyzes a small area in the middle of the screen image, which is shown in a circle.'

AF spot metering has a cross but I'm not seeing the 'circle' for exposure spot metering. What am I missing about how it works? 

Hi there, you are right that from the manual you expect to see a circle in the middle of your screen. But there is no such visible circle. Just imagine one. Be aware that that curcle is in the middle. It does not follow the AF point position.

I think that you do nothing wrong.

In the instruction manual of the M11 I can read: "Spot metering only captures and analyzes a small area in the middle of the screen image, which is shown in a circle. The metering field may shift."

And indeed it shows as a circle. That exposure metering circle you can move around the screen. Like that you can manualy follow the area where you set your focus (manual though).

Maybe some parts in the Q2 instructions is copy/paste 😁. But I might be wrong.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There isn't a circle. It's your rectangle.  Wherever you place the rectangle is where the camera will meter.  It is not done in the center of the screen, unless the rectangle is in the center.  You can easily hold your camera, with it set on spot meter, and move the rectangle around by touching the LCD screen.  You will see your exposure change accordingly.   The cross appears when you have it on spot focus.  Put it on an area/field focus and you will retain the rectangle not the cross.  If you have it on spot focus and spot metering, you can touch your LCD screen and the focus and metering will occur at the cross.  You just need to experiment more with your camera.  Either way, your spot metering will be the rectangle, not a circle. 

Edited by DenverSteve
  • Like 1

vor 14 Stunden schrieb DenverSteve:

Wherever you place the rectangle is where the camera will meter

That's what the manual says:

SPOT METERING –

Spot metering only captures and analyzes a small area in the middle of the screen image, which is shown in a circle.

The statement with the circle is evidently wrong as we see in our own cameras. But I do not think that the metering follows the AF point. Even high class Pro cameras do not do that (some yes of course but e.g a Canon R5 does not). Maybe I am wrong and I did not know by now.

1 hour ago, M11 for me said:

That's what the manual says:

SPOT METERING –

Spot metering only captures and analyzes a small area in the middle of the screen image, which is shown in a circle.

The statement with the circle is evidently wrong as we see in our own cameras. But I do not think that the metering follows the AF point. Even high class Pro cameras do not do that (some yes of course but e.g a Canon R5 does not). Maybe I am wrong and I did not know by now.

Then you should try it. I do it all the time.  It only follows the AF point if both are set to spot. 

Edited by DenverSteve