Thoughts from owners of these three 50mm options please!

Kiwimac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for that very detailed and useful assessment!

At the moment I’m leaning towards the Summilux or (possibly) the Noctilux and a mint pre-owned Summicron. 

The latter option is obviously more expensive. However it would give both the artistic render option and the smaller, lighter more mainstream option. 

I’ve noted that the M10-M is discontinued in the USA. It’s still listed as available here and is in stock but I might be able to get one discounted as I just did with my M10-R.  Then I might need two lenses..! 🤔

I have the APo and the Lux.  If I where to have one one it probably would be the Lux 1.4.  The APO does have amazing micro contrast and overall a very clean rendering, pure, but the lux gives you almost that plus the flexibility of the extra stop and a little more character to play with.

I say that but....I ahjve not sold the APO becasue every now and then I take it out and it is just perfection.

14 minutes ago, Kiwimac said:

Thanks for that very detailed and useful assessment!

At the moment I’m leaning towards the Summilux or (possibly) the Noctilux and a mint pre-owned Summicron. 

The latter option is obviously more expensive. However it would give both the artistic render option and the smaller, lighter more mainstream option. 

I’ve noted that the M10-M is discontinued in the USA. It’s still listed as available here and is in stock but I might be able to get one discounted as I just did with my M10-R.  Then I might need two lenses..! 🤔

The noctilux does give have a very unique and irreplaceble quality, but I would not have it as my only 50.  It is just not as friendley to use.  It is an amazing addition to a "bag of tricks"  

In that sense, then, if I where to ahve 2, I would go with teh APO and the Noctilux.  There you are covered for anythign you may want to render artistically.

12 hours ago, lct said:

If they come on the LUF they could ;). 50/1.4 asph (above) vs 50/2 apo @ f/2:

This is also quite visible on my own comparison.  I was leaning much more towards the lux until I took the time to see the smaller differences which surprised me quite honestly.  What I think I have to do is commit to the APO for a couple of weeks without using the lux so I take away the extra stop rendering myth off my head and see what it all does for me in real use.  But in paper, and based on my limited experience, the Lux ends ul being the better all around choice considering price, IQ and usability

On 1/13/2023 at 4:27 AM, Kiwimac said:

I have narrowed my 50mm options down to these three:

1. Summilux f1.4 current model
  2. Summicron APO f2
  3. Noctilux f1.2 reissue

Ignore price for the purpose of this other than to note that (2) and (3) are double what (1) costs.

I cannot get access to any of them easily to try myself as the nearest physical stockist is several hundred Km from where I live. In NZ, there is no ability to return things just because you changed your mind, so that is not an option either.

I am drawn to the rendering of the Noctilux; I like the vintage look. However at that price point, I am only buying one for at least a year and I do wonder if the f1.2 might become too much of a good thing if it was the only lens.

The APO is, well, the APO. We all know how good it is but it's perhaps a little sterile. Possibly too much perfection negates character? 

The Lux is a well known quantity. Not perfect (I have seen some very angular bokeh on images taken with it from time to time) but a good blend of competence - a bit of a generalist. There seems to be a rumour that it might also be replaced by (presumably) an improved version relatively soon.

All three are available in stock new. None are available pre-owned here at the moment.

I realise that ultimately, this choice is mine but I would very much appreciate any experience others have had that might help in the process.

The lens will be going in an M10-R and if you want to see examples of previous work (mostly shot with Nikon and Olympus) look here.

I finally gave up on the reissue 1.2 after a full year of use with lux, 0.95 and apo sparingly, i found 1.2 was the most characteristic of the bunch, i’d love to keep it and great for my traveling kit, however i cant have one too many, besides for light gathering, it is too close to lux asph

bottom line, if u like characterful lens, it is the one to get, otherwise lux or apo.. i love the apo more though

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This might have been mentioned, but Sean Reid of Reid Reviews often does comparisons that might be helpful.  My subscription just lapsed and I'm not in the market for anything so I won't renew.  I looked at the article index and there are a few that are relevant to the lenses you mention.  Good luck with whatever you decide.  

18 hours ago, Jared said:

I actually had more problems with flaring with mine than I expected

People's perceptions seem to vary on this aspect of the summilux asph. I would characterise mine as more-than-averagely flare resistant, whilst others report it as susceptible to flare. Possibly a sign of sample variation.

1 hour ago, sinjun said:

People's perceptions seem to vary on this aspect of the summilux asph. I would characterise mine as more-than-averagely flare resistant, whilst others report it as susceptible to flare. Possibly a sign of sample variation.

It’s not something I would normally think of as subject to sample variation, but different photographers tend to favor different lighting, and it is certainly possible that the angle of light I often chose put the sun in an awkward position for the lens. In general, the Summilix has a reputation for good flare resistance. That didn’t match my experience, but I’m just one photographer.

hello i am late in this discussions but i checked your webpage, fantastic pictures, congratulations. if i look at your beautiful pictures i would go for the Summilux ASPH, perfect flexibilitity for people and landscape! i checked out the normal summicron, i have the summilux v3 and i had the noctilux 1.0 but i still prefer the summilux asph, the perfect lens for my leica m10r

• Like 1

Hello Kiwimac,

I own a lot of 50s, and among them the apo 50, both ‘lux 50 asph standard and Black Chrome.

The AP0 is small, wonderfully engineered (I love the how the shade works), and gives crisp and clean images. Microcontrast is nothing short of amazing. And with a smoother bokeh than the ‘lux.

The standard ‘lux 50 asph is a very nicely designed (looks great on a M), a bit heavier and bulkier (46mm Filters vs 39 on the APO) than the APO. Bokeh is a bit more nervous sometimes than the APO, at medium distance and further, it is hard to tell any difference between APO and ‘Lux ASPH. At close distances and/or in poor lighting conditions, I find nothing equals the APO.

The BC ‘lux is a Joy to use, a bit bulkier (with the shade) and heavier. My copy seems a little sharper than my standard ‘lux copy. 

I prefer the APO for ist rendering and the clean and full of microcontrast pics.

I had the opportunity to try the 1,2/50 in Wetzlar. Great to use compared to the .95 I own. Wonderfully built and still compact. I was less than thrilled by IQ first time I tried it wide open, BW images looked dull and lacked sharpness. But later on, I had the opportunity to shoot the lens at mid-distances, and the portraits and other pics had something very special :) I would NOT buy it as my everyday lens, but as a specialty Lens, yes. I am considering it, but also trying to limit GAS :) 

If I were in your situation I would get the APO. You can’t get wrong !

Didier 

• Like 2

I swear camera dealers are worse than crack dealers!

I was offered a Grade 10 (that’s mint condition with all boxes etc) Noctilux 0.95 silver today at 33% less than the new price. 

The dealer suggested that with a CV Apo Lanthar as a lightweight every day option. 

2 hours ago, Kiwimac said:

I swear camera dealers are worse than crack dealers!

I was offered a Grade 10 (that’s mint condition with all boxes etc) Noctilux 0.95 silver today at 33% less than the new price. 

The dealer suggested that with a CV Apo Lanthar as a lightweight every day option. 

0.95 a lens i rarely use but cant part with.. irreplaceable 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jakontil said:

0.95 a lens i rarely use but cant part with.. irreplaceable 

I used to have an f1 Noctilux which I purchased in Singapore in about 2004 for some ludicrously cheap price compared to what such things cost today! 

When I shifted from Leica I sold it all - a mistake I regret as prices then were much lower due to the fact that there seemed to be little likelihood of a digital M ever appearing.

I am certainly considering grabbing this one and not letting go: it's a bit big and heavier than I would like but chances like this are not that common!

26 minutes ago, Kiwimac said:

I used to have an f1 Noctilux which I purchased in Singapore in about 2004 for some ludicrously cheap price compared to what such things cost today! 

When I shifted from Leica I sold it all - a mistake I regret as prices then were much lower due to the fact that there seemed to be little likelihood of a digital M ever appearing.

I am certainly considering grabbing this one and not letting go: it's a bit big and heavier than I would like but chances like this are not that common!

Never sell a leica glass when possible 😂😂😂 im already regretting letting go my noctilux 1.2, but that’s to fund for other things.. 

0.95 is quite a special glass, like other opinions, may be after the noct, easier if you want to add another for companion, i have the lux, apo and used to have the noct 1.2 .. anyhow… never feel enough, just learning each to their own usage 

• Like 1