Best lens for the M9?

dennersten

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello. I ordered the M9 toady. I had 22 Leicas which I sold and invested in our family restaurant. 

I swapped to Hasselblads. But it itches to get Leica feeling again. 

It seems like the M9 has a lot of character. I also want a lens with character. I don't want the crisp - super sharp perfect pictures. I have that with my Hasselblad equipment. One option could be the 35/1.4 Steel rim. Love the character. But out of my budget just now.

So please give me some advice for the first lens I should have buy. 

• Like 1

The way you describe your criteria, I’ll kick things off by suggesting any Summicron, of your favoured focal length up to say version 3 or 4. 

I know exactly what you mean, I have a Nikon Z system for any ultra sharp pristine corner to corner blah blah images whereas a rangefinder and a classic Summicron, well that’s just far more enjoyable isn’t it.

Edited by Ray Vonn

Go for Voigtländer. Plenty of excellent characterful lenses at very reasonable prices. I am over the moon with my recently purchased Nokton 50 1.5. Like a Summilux 50 but with more character   Zeiss lenses worth looking at as well. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ray Vonn said:

The way you describe your criteria, I’ll kick things off by suggesting any Summicron, of your favoured focal length up to say version 3 or 4. 

I know exactly what you mean, I have a Nikon Z system for any ultra sharp pristine corner to corner blah blah images whereas a rangefinder and a classic Summicron, well that’s just far more enjoyable isn’t it.

Thanks! I will check them! 

15 hours ago, jaapv said:

Go for Voigtländer. Plenty of excellent characterful lenses at very reasonable prices. I am over the moon with my recently purchased Nokton 50 1.5. Like a Summilux 50 but with more character   Zeiss lenses worth looking at as well. 

Sounds perfect! Thanks :) 

I have two M9s and I'm looking for a 35mm Summarit having had one and foolishly sold it. They are an excellent cheaper option from Leica, if that is, you can find one. They are thin on the ground at the moment.

For a single lens I’d be choosing between a 35mm and a 50mm. 
I’d also be looking for something reasonably compact to start with. 
Finally on an M9 I’d be looking for something quite fast - of course this does depend a bit on what you are shooting, but fast for maximum flexibility. 
Finally your spec of not unlimited budget, and a bit of character. 

I’d give another shout out to the Voigtlander 50mm Nokton II f/1.5, for an even more vintage look go for the SC version over the MC version - just be sure you’d be happy with the flare. 
Alternatively the Voigtlander 35mm 1.4 Nokton Classic II, again an SC version would take you even further down the character road. 

Zeiss 50mm Sonnar is also well liked and similar to the Nokton - beware the focus shift though. 

Enjoy your M9!

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2023 at 5:50 PM, pgk said:

I have two M9s and I'm looking for a 35mm Summarit having had one and foolishly sold it. They are an excellent cheaper option from Leica, if that is, you can find one. They are thin on the ground at the moment.

Thanks will check it! 

• 4 weeks later...

I can highly recommend the Voigtländer 35mm 1.4 SC II. Not clinical & lots of character! Gorgeous bokeh. The SC flares more (single coating). If you want a more stable lens design then the MC is an option. This is the smallest lens I own and matches the M9 CCD sensor perfectly. These are with the SL2-S, but once I'm home I can search for some with my M9. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, oliviersm said:

once I'm home I can search for some with my M9.

Here's one with the M9 & the Voigtländer 35mm 1.4 SC II. 

• Like 3

From practical POV, if you want non practical M9 and don't have money for Leica lens, get Color Skopar-M 35 2.5.

My lens from Leica I only find worth to keep is Summarit-M 35 2.5, but Color Skopar is not really far from it on digital M. For much less money.

I also have Nokton 35 1.4 II. Like one photog calls it, it is Super Skopar. :)  If you want odd photos @f1.4, it is the lens. But @f2.5, Color Skopar, Nokton and Summarit-M are hard to distinguish at any digital M. 

From my long time shooting experience, if you really want to see Leica and else difference, you got to get it on bw dark room prints. This is one of the major reason I have kept only Summarit-M 35 2.5 from all Leitz lenses I was able to afford.   :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend the 50mm Summarit f1.5 as a character lens. Relatively inexpensive and make sure you get a copy with clean front glass as these are prone with cleaning marks and haze. The swirling bokeh is unique and not for everyone but definitely more special than the typical Summicrons.  Had one and wish I never sold it. 

17 hours ago, M6bigletter said:

I highly recommend the 50mm Summarit f1.5 as a character lens. Relatively inexpensive and make sure you get a copy with clean front glass as these are prone with cleaning marks and haze. The swirling bokeh is unique and not for everyone but definitely more special than the typical Summicrons.  Had one and wish I never sold it. 

Ahh, I had one too... Bought it about 8 years ago when they were less than two hundred pounds for a decent one. I certainly regret selling it...

shout out to zm sonnar u can order them from the dealer and ask them to get one optimized for f1.5 from zeiss.  I used to call this as a poor mans noctilux but  @oliviersm corrected me it ain't.  Its a very special lens indeed

Edited by Crowmagnon
  • Like 2