M5 battery cap

15 minutes ago, Marc9876 said:

Hi all, 

Recently bought a used m5.

Didn't come with any batteries, so I got a kanto px625 adapter.

Problem is, the cap won't screw on with the px625 adapter in place. Even without an sr43 battery slotted inside the adapter.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

JD

I have never used a kanto adaptor but I have had no problems with MR-9 adaptor from Small Battery Company which I believe is the same item..

Edited by Matlock

There were slightly different specifications for the original mercury battery (German vs Japanese), so there can be difficulties in making the adapters fit if they were made for the other specification. You’re probably not doing anything wrong, as such, it’s just the adapter won’t fit in your M5. You could try a different one (as suggested), if that resolves it do report on this forum as it could be useful for others.

Make sure you use a 386 cell in the adapter - at least with the MR9. Most other cells that appear to fit are thicker, and can cause such problems. I had trouble fitting an MR9 in my old CL, and DAG pointed out the problem - used a 386 and all was fine.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TomB_tx said:

Make sure you use a 386 cell in the adapter - at least with the MR9. Most other cells that appear to fit are thicker, and can cause such problems. I had trouble fitting an MR9 in my old CL, and DAG pointed out the problem - used a 386 and all was fine.

That was my thought initially but I tried the adapter with out a battery and even with the opening below, it still won't close.

It is the saucer/ portion that's too thick I think.

34 minutes ago, Marc9876 said:

That was my thought initially but I tried the adapter with out a battery and even with the opening below, it still won't close.

It is the saucer/ portion that's too thick I think.

Make sure that you are fitting it the correct way, negative (open) end innermost.

6 hours ago, Marc9876 said:

Hi all, 

Recently bought a used m5.

Didn't come with any batteries, so I got a kanto px625 adapter.

Problem is, the cap won't screw on with the px625 adapter in place. Even without an sr43 battery slotted inside the adapter.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

JD

The best solution is to have the voltage converted so you don't need an adapter.  DAG can do that for you.

15 hours ago, Huss said:

The best solution is to have the voltage converted so you don't need an adapter.  DAG can do that for you.

The problem here is that the conversion is for PX 625A and PX625S batteries. The former are Alkaline and not suitable for camera use (non stable voltage and leakage possibilities). The Silver Oxide, PX625S, are no longer freely available. 

• Like 1