does the tl2 work with any "L" mount lens?

roedj

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used to have a TL camera but sold it. Now I have an urge to buy a "new" TL2. It doesn't make sense - just humor my insanity.

I see a lot of "L" alliance lenses available, most of the for FF cameras. I believe that they'll work on a TL2 even if only the center of the image gets recorded. But I've also read somewhere that the TL2 won't work with the newer "L" lenses due to some firmware compatibility issues. Is this true? The TL2 needs some sort of an firmware update which, of course, is never coming from Leica.

Bottom line: what appears to be a substantial list of "L" lenses for the TL2 is far less than it appears when talking about actually working on a TL2.

Is my understanding correct? Please advise.

Dan

Dan, welcome! I don't own a TL camera, but all T models are L-mount. So, no problem, as long as you take account of the crop factor. Those covering full-frame will be bigger. Lenses made by Sigma and Panasonic are much less expensive, yet excellent performers.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, that is the theory but I still have it my mind that I read somewhere that while the CL works with newer "L" lenses the TL2 does not. Something about needing a firmware update which will never come.

Are there any TL2 owners out there who have actually used the newer "L" lenses and can clear this issue up?

Dan

2 hours ago, roedj said:

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, that is the theory but I still have it my mind that I read somewhere that while the CL works with newer "L" lenses the TL2 does not. Something about needing a firmware update which will never come.

Are there any TL2 owners out there who have actually used the newer "L" lenses and can clear this issue up?

Dan

I have a nice used TL2 and love it. All of my L and M mount are working fine. 

My Leica 35mm APO SL, Leica 24-90mm, Voigtlander 75mm, and 7 other Sigma and Panasonic lenses.

My problem is the sigma adapter (MC21) for Canon eos ef to L mount. TL2 doesn't work for any eos ef.

And another problem is finding BP-DC13 battery for TL2. I ended up buying Leica batteries marked as year 2014 and one used 2017 battery. It works but it is not last long enough for me for each shooting. I have to bring at least 2 batteries for all day for perhaps 150-200 images.

I have Leica SL2-S as my main camera. So, having TL2 as a walk around camera is very convenient. Quality image is behind SL2-S but it is very good.

Psrkn,,

Thanks for that wonderful reply - right on topic.

But could I ask one more favor of you - please list those 7 other Sigma and Panasonic lenses that work with your TL2.

Does auto focus work as expected?

Just how compatible is compatible?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Dan

1 hour ago, roedj said:

Psrkn,,

Thanks for that wonderful reply - right on topic.

But could I ask one more favor of you - please list those 7 other Sigma and Panasonic lenses that work with your TL2.

Does auto focus work as expected?

Just how compatible is compatible?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Dan

All the L mount lenses that I have they are all working as they should for the APS-C TL2 camera as far as I tested and worked with. Autofocus (AFS) works well but not AFC (the same problem with SL2-S). Face detection works. Movie works well in the manual focus but not AFS.

I don't know whether you can rent and try it out before you buy it. It's a discontinued camera but it's very good for my type of shooting (static in general no moving subject, landscape, nature, family photos, and no evf just using LCD screen). It's a camera that function like a iPhone camera.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks again. That clearly spells out the limitations of "L" lenses on the TL2. It's not a total deal-breaker but it does put a crimp in my desire to own a TL2. I'm still after a small but capable APSC kit - maybe a Fuji XE-4. Heresy - I know.

Dan

1 hour ago, roedj said:

Thanks again. That clearly spells out the limitations of "L" lenses on the TL2. It's not a total deal-breaker but it does put a crimp in my desire to own a TL2. I'm still after a small but capable APSC kit - maybe a Fuji XE-4. Heresy - I know.

Dan

I know it doesn’t have the form factor or UI of the TL2, but the discontinued CL is still a small but capable APSC kit with either Leica’s TL lenses or Sigma’s recent primes. I have four of the Sigma contemporary primes and despite being FF, they are well proportioned for the CL and they work flawlessly. The current CL UI works well too. The biggest difficulty is finding a CL, new or used …

• Like 1

TL2 todavía se vende nuevo.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1348986-REG/leica_18188_tl2_mirrorless_digital_camera.html

Baterías BP-DC13 para TL2, todavía disponibles, mejor que sean 985mAh.

http://www.tienda-baterias.es/bateria/leica/BP-DC13-183603.html

Cuando voy de excursión llevo 2 baterías y un pequeño banco de energía para cargar las baterías. Es una de las cosas buenas que le he encontrado a la cámara TL2, junto con los 32G de memoria interna.
Yo uso lentes TL y M, sin problemas, los lentes M en manual.

Si no quieres gastarte mucho, tienes la opción de las lentes TTArtisan, que no son las mejores, pero valen mucho su precio. Una lente leica es mejor, pero no 20 o 25 veces mejor.

Creo que en el tema de la fotografía y con la Inteligencia Artificial, aplicada a la fotografía, entramos en otra dimensión. Los fotógrafos Eugenio Recuero y Rodrigo Rivas han impreso murales de varios metros cuadrados con fotografías realizadas con smartphones. Hay rumores de que Aphel podría lanzar una cámara que incorpore Inteligencia Artificial. Creo que eso sería revolucionario.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Dopaco

On 1/11/2023 at 11:19 PM, Dopaco said:

TL2 todavía se vende nuevo.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1348986-REG/leica_18188_tl2_mirrorless_digital_camera.html

Baterías BP-DC13 para TL2, todavía disponibles, mejor que sean 985mAh.

Cuando voy de excursión llevo 2 baterías y un pequeño banco de energía para cargar las baterías. Es una de las cosas buenas que le he encontrado a la cámara TL2, junto con los 32G de memoria interna.
Yo uso lentes TL y M, sin problemas, los lentes M en manual.

Si no quieres gastarte mucho, tienes la opción de las lentes TTArtisan, que no son las mejores, pero valen mucho su precio. Una lente leica es mejor, pero no 20 o 25 veces mejor.

Creo que en el tema de la fotografía y con la Inteligencia Artificial, aplicada a la fotografía, entramos en otra dimensión. Los fotógrafos Eugenio Recuero y Rodrigo Rivas han impreso murales de varios metros cuadrados con fotografías realizadas con smartphones. Hay rumores de que Aphel podría lanzar una cámara que incorpore Inteligencia Artificial. Creo que eso sería revolucionario.

Please translate. 

On 1/11/2023 at 11:19 PM, Dopaco said:

Google:

TL2 is still being sold new.

BP-DC13 batteries for TL2, still available, better be 985mAh.

When I go hiking I take 2 batteries and a small power bank to charge the batteries. It is one of the good things that I have found in the TL2 camera, along with the 32G of internal memory.
I use TL and M lenses, without problems, the M lenses in manual.

If you don't want to spend a lot, you have the option of the TTArtisan lenses, which are not the best, but they are well worth the price. A leica lens is better, but not 20 or 25 times better.

I think that on the subject of photography and with Artificial Intelligence, applied to photography, we enter another dimension. The photographers Eugenio Recuero and Rodrigo Rivas have printed murals of several square meters with photographs taken with smartphones. There are rumors that Aphel could launch a camera that incorporates Artificial Intelligence. I think that would be revolutionary.

Edited by Dopaco