Best overall first lens for M10R

Snipe10

14 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Cropping won’t change perspective, which is dictated only by subject to camera distance.  But moving one’s feet, e.g., to maintain relative subject size when changing focal length, will change perspective.

DOF and focal length is a more complex discussion, also often misinterpreted, as explained here…

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

Jeff

Yes, that is what I meant. With a wide lens, like in my example, one would want/need to get closer in order to crop, which would then change the angle in relation to the subject.

26 minutes ago, charlesphoto99 said:

Yes, that is what I meant. With a wide lens, like in my example, one would want/need to get closer in order to crop, which would then change the angle in relation to the subject.

The latest marketing craze, Leica included, is promoting use of high MP cameras so that one can crop in-camera (or in post) without having to move. Regardless of one’s opinion about that technique, perspective (relationships between near and far objects) remains identical.  The Q2 is a prime example (pun noted) of said marketing.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Best overall first lens for an M10R?  IMHO, the 28mm Summilux ASPH. 

Many M users gravitate to a 35mm.  That said, it is telling that the Q platform continues to be made with a 28mm f/1.7 Summilux rather than a 35mm f/1.7 Summilux.

A 28mm lens will work for portraits, provided you take a bit of care with where you place your subject in the frame to avoid distortion.

Edited by Herr Barnack

Went through all the images I have taken with M lenses I've used since purchasing a pair of M9's which seems like a century ago. Currently shooting with an M10-R and M10M. Across all the bodies, years and trips, the 28 mm Summicron Asph (now using v2) has been the most used. Smooth, almost a classic rendering, with excellent resolution and micro contrast, with a rich color and wonderful tones. Does not scream "digital" like my 35 APO SC SL.

• Like 1

My advice would be to keep your system as light as possible, so go for a lens you'll be happy carrying around all day. My first lens was the 35 Summicron IV, which I bought new, and fit the bill for me for years on my M4-P. Later I got the 28 Elmarit ASPH, which is a similar size and weight. Now on my M10 Mono, or M10R BP, one of those is my go-to lens when I leave the house for a casual photo walkabout. I'd recommend either of them, or a similar Zeiss/Voigtlander offering. I came to realise that if the lens is too heavy I baulk at taking it out. Might as well take a DSLR if I want a heavy lens system. 

Here's a link to a post I made showing some images from the 35 Summicron IV on various cameras. This was before I got the Mono or the M10R.

Edited by nodrog
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My first lens for the M10 was the 35mm summicron. For me it’s the most versatile, great small size and beautiful rendering.

50mm is just no good for tighter indoor images, but is beautiful for portrait work.

I have now added a 50mm lux and 75mm summarit. The 35mm gets used 75% of the time.

Having owned many focal lengths I would personally go with 28mm, it's a touch wider than 35mm so makes it slightly more interesting sometimes. It's also useful indoors and can get a little more context in. It also has the benefit of easily being cropped slightly to become a 35mm if you wanted that. 

35mm is sort of the obvious single lens choice and you can't go wrong with it but for me 28mm pips it. I no longer own a 35mm lens although I have a slight hankering for one even though I know I'd basically never use it.

28mm & 50mm are my go to and I'd take the 28mm if I had to have one of those two. 

I'd personally go with the Voigtlander ultron 28mm f2 type ii but that's because it's way cheaper than the Leica alternative and essentially the same and better in some respects. If money were no object then I'd probably go with the Leica 28mm summilux lens to keep everything Leica and have that f1.4 it offers although it's larger so not 100% on that.

Edited by Henners

Am 14.1.2023 um 17:03 schrieb Herr Barnack:

Best overall first lens for an M10R?  IMHO, the 28mm Summilux ASPH. 

Many M users gravitate to a 35mm.  That said, it is telling that the Q platform continues to be made with a 28mm f/1.7 Summilux rather than a 35mm f/1.7 Summilux.

A 28mm lens will work for portraits, provided you take a bit of care with where you place your subject in the frame to avoid distortion.

Regarding the optical results, I totally agree.

However, the 28 Lux is IMHO too large and heavy to carry as every day lens. That‘s why I love my Q2.

• Like 3

On 1/21/2023 at 1:24 AM, Robert Blanko said:

Regarding the optical results, I totally agree.

However, the 28 Lux is IMHO too large and heavy to carry as every day lens. That‘s why I love my Q2.

I had seriously considered the 28 lux. Wide open it is cinematic, smooth, excellent micro-contrast, neutral color. Top image rendering! But I have to agree the size and weight is not a good fit to carry everyday for me. Also the chromatic aberration when shooting in backlight or contrast scene can be pretty bad even stopping it down. If 28mm is the goal, I would opt for 28 cron ASPH V2. Color is a little muted, sharpness is just almost as good as the 28 lux while it is still capable in most lowlight situations.

Personally, I also opted for Q2. Great experience so far.  Love it. But I look forward to the new 28mm lux and I hope it will fix the CA issue and give a 0.5 close focus like the new 35 lux. 

Take out your camera phone and frame the scene. If you like photos as framed, then it would be 28mm. If you think some amount of cropping would be desired, then a 35. Both would be general purpose one lens setups.

As a second lens go with a 50.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Elmarit:

Best first lens for any M is a small 35 or 50 (if you know you like this focal length). If you’re unsure then go for a 35mm. 

Make sure they’re small. The APO Lanthar and the Zeiss 35f1.4 may lure you for their super image quality. 

A mistake I made was thinking that if I didn’t get the most resolution super sharp perfect lens I was missing out on all my 40MP. That I wasn’t getting “the most” out of my camera. 

I now think this is all a myth. You’ll know what you want in due time. But the most important thing for a Leica M is the size. It has been this way forever. This is why the Leica M existed. To give a photographer something small with big image quality. 

Lenses like these 

Not this

Totally agree! Even though the chrome ring of the Zeiss Distagon goes well with   a BP… 😄(that’s how I excuse my Distagon).

one lens to start with a leica m? i am in love with the 50mm summilux asph and i do 90% of my pix with this lens. i tried a lot of lenses from leica, zeiss zm and voigtländer from 15mm to 135mm and i always come back to my beloved 50mm summilux asph, it almost love 🥰