Best overall first lens for M10R

Snipe10

When the Leica-Q was launched with the incredible detailed sensor . . .  the 28mm was seen as a natural choice, because you can later crop in post processing.

But I like the 35mm a lot for it's nice field of view (I have two 35mm Summicron varieties). They give an unprecedented detail on the M10-R.

That said, I also like those lenses that have a high colour contrast. They bring out the best qualities of the M10-R sensor, which is not only lines/mm (resolution) but also colour depth (and hence apparent sharpness!).

What impressed me with the big aperture lenses like the 50mm Lux v2  is that the 'stage' is so natural with the M10-R. Take that ice-cream example . . . Finger-licking good. 

I did a few tests with 'other brands', like a very well praised 35mm F2.8, but it showed much blue bands (chromatic aberration) on high contrasts like trees or reflections. Stick with Leica! 

Edited by Alberti
  • Like 1

I think one of the best ways to determine which focal length is more natural to you is to look at your previous photos and study them. What focal length did you gravitate towards in your previous body of work? Start with that.

I did this many years ago and found that most of my own photos that I actually liked were somewhere around the 28-32mm focal length. However, I still picked the 35mm Summicron as my first Leica lens.

I thought 35 would be a safe bet as a single lens system. This turned out to be mostly true but I realized over time that 35mm was a bit too tight for my shooting style. I’ve since invested in a 28mm and find the wider angle to be perfect in close quarters allowing me to get real close and still have other elements in the frame. 

Also, can I suggest that you buy one and only one lens for your new M and stick with that focal length for a good while, like a year? This will help you develop your own style and bring a sense of continuity to your work. Even though I have a second lens, a 50mm, I probably only use it about 10% of the time. This is just my opinion, but there’s nothing better than simplifying gear and shooting with one lens, if it fits your style of course. 

Good luck.

The 18mm Super Elmar.  With that lens you get 18mm, and can crop to get the rest - 21, 24, 28, 35, 40, 50, 75, 90, 135....

Of course I kid!  Just poking fun at those who say get a 28 as you can crop.  One lens only?  You will never, ever regret getting the 35mm Lux FLE. The Crons and Summarits do not give you that option of subject isolation/separation that a Lux does. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, earleygallery said:

Insist on the latest autofocus version!

1 hour ago, Snipe10 said:

Thanks James, I think the latest is sku 11891, right?

He’s making a joke. 

A 50 is a great start. Cropping from a 28 or 35 is really the wrong way to go about things, except for emergency use. The depth and perspective just won’t be the same as switching to a longer lens. For example, the below, taken with a 50 just could not be reproduced and have the same impact if cropped from a wider lens, imo. M10-R. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Huss said:

You will never, ever regret getting the 35mm Lux FLE

I agree. My most used lens by a large margin. I will often take a body with just one lens - and try frequently to get away from ‘always’ using the 35.... but it’s futile. I return to the FLE every time!

I started with 35 Summicron ASPH V2. A handsome looking lens! It is light weight and pretty sharp at f2 ( sharper than the lux at 1.4) and offers the same sharpness as the lux when stopping down a couple stops. Very easy to get things in focus when wide open as it's an f/2 lens. Focus can be as close as 45-50cm in real life vs the 70cm mentioned in the spec. The lux may have a little better SOOC color but who cares when PP will give you the final color anyway.  Cost, if buy used, is very affordable. You can easily get a perfect almost new copy for around $2500 or lower. And it offers the pure Leica experience too! 

Edited by Nick Lo

I am very happy with he results so far. Below are a few samples I got from the 35 Cron ASPH V2 and M10-R

• Like 4

35 Summicron ASPH V2 and M10R

• Like 2

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 3

• Like 1

19 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

The depth and perspective just won’t be the same as switching to a longer lens. 

Cropping won’t change perspective, which is dictated only by subject to camera distance.  But moving one’s feet, e.g., to maintain relative subject size when changing focal length, will change perspective.

DOF and focal length is a more complex discussion, also often misinterpreted, as explained here…

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

Jeff