Question about 21mm SEM aperture blades

Rico

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

today I received my new 21mm Super-Elmar-M 1:3,4/21mm ASPH. and I have a quick question if it's normal that the aperture blades are visible wide open at f/3.4? Maybe someone with the lens can quickly check if this is normal. Otherwise the lens seems to function and operate just fine.

Sorry for the bad image quality. 😅

This is at f/3.4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And at f/4

Many thanks
Rico

Edited by Rico

I don't have the 21mm Super-Elmar-M 1:3,4/21mm ASPH but I do have the 21mm Elmarit M and I can see the blades on that lens when at f2.8, I als have a 28mm Elmarit M and that is the same wide open at f2.8. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Rico said:

Hi

today I received my new 21mm Super-Elmar-M 1:3,4/21mm ASPH. and I have a quick question if it's normal that the aperture blades are visible wide open at f/3.4? Maybe someone with the lens can quickly check if this is normal. Otherwise the lens seems to function and operate just fine.

This is at f/3.4

And at f/4

Many thanks
Rico

I have the 21 SEM and the aperture blades are visible when wide open in the same way as in your image. So your lens is perfectly OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They look very, very slightly stopped down. Mine are visible, but more open. It’s only a really small amount.

I don’t think it’s worth worrying about. As long as your wide open bokeh balls are perfectly round you’ll be fine. 

Look from the back of the lens - I’m sure you won’t see the aperture blades, that’s what matters.

Some lenses have other circular baffles that effectively create the maximum opening (not necessarily this lens, I don’t know!). As long as the aperture blades open to that point (or beyond) it doesn’t matter, even if you see the blades from the front. (e.g: Canon 17-35/2.8L would appear to stop down as you zoom to 17. It was actually maintaining steady 2.8 and the blades were clearly visible from the front - but from the back, the opening remained circular because of a circular baffle in the design)

• Like 1

@PCPix unfortunately I see the blades also from the back of the lens. And I was able to trigger at least one bokeh ball which shows a non-perfect round shape where you also can see the the jags of the blades.

Mostly the bokeh looks pretty a-ok and smooth though.

Not sure if it really bothers me much as the lens is not intended to be used as bokeh machine. Maybe it just doesn't matter.

But it's my second (quite expensive) Leica lens which has a defect newly bought. That is not so nice. 😭

Maybe I go to the local Leica shop and show it to the dudes.

There seem to be some variation between samples. Mine looks like this:

Small dents visible, but maybe smaller than in your image. And I can see the aperture blades from back as well. But I'm not sure I can see the effect of the small dents in test shots.

This is in case perfectly fine for me, because I often shoot slightly stopped down and then the blades are visible anyway in OOF highlights.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rico said:

Hi

This is at f/3.4

And at f/4

Many thanks
Rico

Hi Rico,

If you move the aperture ring just a tad from f/3.4, the opening becomes circular. In some copies, the f/3.4 aperture is over-extended.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mujk said:

And I can see the aperture blades from back as well. 

Ditto with my lens

21 hours ago, Fred Miranda said:

Hi Rico,

If you move the aperture ring just a tad from f/3.4, the opening becomes circular. In some copies, the f/3.4 aperture is over-extended.

Ditto with mine.

Can't say I have ever had any concerns about blade visibility, aperture shape or indeed anything at all about this excellent lens!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Fred Miranda said:

Hi Rico,

Hi Fred, I don't notice much of a change when I move the aperture ring. Not sure but might still be the case. Hard to say tough.

21 minutes ago, Keith (M) said:

Ditto with my lens

Ditto with mine.

Can't say I have ever had any concerns about blade visibility, aperture shape or indeed anything at all about this excellent lens!

It's indeed a very nice lens Keith. I really like the size and handling a lot. And IQ is also excellent for such a wide focal length. I was just curious about the blades as I never saw this before until now. 

23 hours ago, mujk said:

There seem to be some variation between samples. Mine looks like this:

Small dents visible, but maybe smaller than in your image. And I can see the aperture blades from back as well. But I'm not sure I can see the effect of the small dents in test shots.

This is in case perfectly fine for me, because I often shoot slightly stopped down and then the blades are visible anyway in OOF highlights.

Thanks for the picture @mujk. I agree that there seems to be some sample variance. And it's hard to trigger big bokeh balls anyway with this very wide and not so fast lens.