A visit to the Leica digital "mother ship"

edlaurpic

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Every once in a while—although this M8 subforum is usually where I visit and "hang out"— I check the digital forum "mother ship" to see what's happening "up there." Among my favorite images that are routinely posted there are Doug Herr's amazing wildlife shots, for example.

What I just found on the main digital forum is a wonderful thread containing favorite shots that members have taken with their Leica R cameras and the DMR. Is it me or is there something distinctly different, deeper, more film-like about DMR imagery? This is not to knock the M8. It's my favorite camera by far, but its mostly because of its compactness, light weight and excellent imagery...in that order. I still feel the DMR delivers something special and more (with the side effect of bulk and weight, of course, but sometimes it doesn't matter).

Anyway, I decided to add one of my own images to that thread, my first post to the mother ship forum in which I have attached an image, a shot of a Kwakiutl Seal Mask that I took with my R9/DMR and 180/2.8 APO R. I have also uploaded it here in an effort to illustrate what I mean.

And here is the url directly to that thread

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/digital-forum/36403-your-favourite-dmr-pictures-3.html#post380833

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would agree as well. My R9/DMR images just have better color than my M8 ..this is of course subjective. I use my M8s 90% of the time but if its maximum image qaulity (in color) I tend to favor the R9/DMR. I don t have any issue with the R9/DMR up thru the 180/2.8 APO after its pretty darn heavy.

Hmmm... I love them both, but I'm going to say "no"--there isn't much difference between the two as systems. They both excel to me.

I hate to be the dissenting voice here, but it's all post-processing and lens choice to me (now JPEGs out of the DMR may be way better; I don't know because I don't shoot JPEG).

And I think people tend to shoot their DMR differently than the M8--lowish ISO, more control of light, etc...

But apples to apples when I've had them both on the same job, the colour rendition with the latest filters and profiles from C1 are just about equally good.

Now maybe the DMR has an edge due to its non-compressed RAW file, but I'd have to try an uncompressed M8 file to test that :)

I think it's all about colour handling too. The Imacon profiles for the DMR are some of the best I've seen for a camera, I have to say. Whereas until recently, the C1 profiles for the M8 were terrible. The new basic IR one is pretty good (but can still be tweaked, of course).

I would agree as well. My R9/DMR images just have better color than my M8 ..this is of course subjective. I use my M8s 90% of the time but if its maximum image qaulity (in color) I tend to favor the R9/DMR. I don t have any issue with the R9/DMR up thru the 180/2.8 APO after its pretty darn heavy.

Not wishing to disagree, but a raw file from either system will produce images with identical colour and contrast if processed correctly. If you're noticing differences between the M8 and DMR then your digital workflow is the culprit, not the camera.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had to chime in, of course, sorry dissenters but the DMR images are indeed better quality. Simply put the 16 bit A/D of the DMR RAW file carries more tonalities per channel:

16 bits= 65,536 tonal values per channel

14 bits= 16,384 tonal values " "

12 bits= 4,096 tonal values " "

8 bits= 256 tonal values per channel

In practical terms a bit depth of 16 bits allows for a much smoother transition as there is more information per channel giving the DMR files a film like quality that the M8 can only envy. As I said, tongue firmly planted in cheek, in another thread, get over it... ;)

Cheers,

And I can't believe this still comes up (and that you don't have a back-pocket M8 backup :))

And cheers right back!

I'll get the M8 after my second DMR and acquiring additional R lenses (Apo-Telyt modulars...). :)

Just 2 days ago I browsed through some images from last year which I took with the DMR and while I have used mainly the M8 for months now (and really like the image quality I get) I think the DMR images hard to beat. I decided to use the DMR more often again.

The mentioned DMR-thread in the digital forum indicates that others feel the same way regarding the DMR iq.

Cheers, Tom

That's the way the strawmen think here Maggie. they are extremly sensative to even the mildest crticism........... but they do change their spots when needed.........

What??? I'm saying the kind of attitude displayed by some MALE members on THIS thread is what is driving our female members away.

Guest guy_mancuso

Not sure there is much a big difference between them. i had them both and i really liked the DMR very much and the files can be spectacular but I also have the same in the M8 in that regard. What i do believe was the DMR was just matched better to C1 and with the M8 it is not and more work involved to get the same results. Frankly that has been the issue all along until this latest firmware version. The M8 is responding better in terms of color since it's introduction and it really can produce some outstanding files. I just finished doing our workshop here in Yosemite and i have seen some awesome files from our folks so it can be done just takes some dedication and skill to process a great file.

As a example this is a HDR image i put together along with Jack that given the lighting and conditions could not be done without great processing technique. But at the end of the day i really like both cameras and for me from a commercial standpoint have helped me deliver the images I want to clients and honestly don't care which camera is better or not as long as they deliver a image to work with.

using a Zeiss 15mm lens here shot pretty much in the darkness

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nice pic, Guy.

I'm due to get yet another replacement. We'll see.

Edmund

Not sure there is much a big difference between them. i had them both and i really liked the DMR very much and the files can be spectacular but I also have the same in the M8 in that regard. What i do believe was the DMR was just matched better to C1 and with the M8 it is not and more work involved to get the same results. Frankly that has been the issue all along until this latest firmware version. The M8 is responding better in terms of color since it's introduction and it really can produce some outstanding files. I just finished doing our workshop here in Yosemite and i have seen some awesome files from our folks so it can be done just takes some dedication and skill to process a great file.

As a example this is a HDR image i put together along with Jack that given the lighting and conditions could not be done without great processing technique. But at the end of the day i really like both cameras and for me from a commercial standpoint have helped me deliver the images I want to clients and honestly don't care which camera is better or not as long as they deliver a image to work with.

using a Zeiss 15mm lens here shot pretty much in the darkness