28 Summicron ASPH V1 vs 28 Elmarit ASPH latest model for film

Succisa75

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

in a bit of a dilemma. Looking for a 28mm for film on my M7 or M6. 

I have the option of either going with a 28 Con v1 or the latest 28 Elmarit. I’ve read many of the posts here in the forum already, but most are geared towards digital Leica cameras vs film.  

What would film shooters recommend? Would the extra stop of light make a big difference with the cron vs the Elmarit? 

Aesthetics wise the Elmarit looks better especially with the metal hood vs the massive plastic hood of the 28 Cron but looks aren’t everything ;) 

Thanks in advance. 

11 minutes ago, Succisa75 said:

Hi everyone,

in a bit of a dilemma. Looking for a 28mm for film on my M7 or M6. 

I have the option of either going with a 28 Con v1 or the latest 28 Elmarit. I’ve read many of the posts here in the forum already, but most are geared towards digital Leica cameras vs film.  

What would film shooters recommend? Would the extra stop of light make a big difference with the cron vs the Elmarit? 

Aesthetics wise the Elmarit looks better especially with the metal hood vs the massive plastic hood of the 28 Cron but looks aren’t everything ;) 

Thanks in advance. 

For what it's worth I have used my Elmarit almost exclusively on my M7 and can recommend it. As to the extra stop of the Summicron, only you can decide but I have found no problems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RayD28 said:

I have both.  Either is fine but I use the 2.8 most of the time.  Rarely miss having the extra stop.

Yes this was my main concern was that extra stop of light. Most of the time I shoot in a variety of lighting conditions but the size of the elmarit is really nice 

1 hour ago, spydrxx said:

I doubr on film you will notice significant difference other than the extra stop of light and the differences it brings. If you shoot at f/4 and above, I'd go with the smaller, lighter of the two.

Yes this was my concern especially in film 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I own the Elmarit ASPH II and can say that it’s good enough to shoot indoors in low light, especially if you’re pushing the film. I shot some NYE photos on Tri-X pushed 1 stop, developed the photos, and they look great (don’t have access to the photos at the moment). I shot them all primarily at f2.8 and 1/30th. Tbh, I’m certain they would have looked great even if I hadn’t pushed and shot the same aperture and shutter speed, as they looked almost overexposed.

• Like 1