Preowned Leica M10-P vs. M10-R - values

matthew-s

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello - I owned an M8 LONG ago, and thinking about reentering the hobby now that kids are FAR more independent and I have a bit more time.

Poking around the top online pre-owned Leica shops I'm surprised to see that the M10-P is priced neck-and-neck with the M10-R

Given the presumptive improved low light performance, and the higher resolution sensor, this surprised me a bit. What would be the reasoning for this, aesthetics alone?!?

For the digital M cameras, it generally seems the pricing reflects generation / relative performance - with obvious exceptions for collectible editions and other lower volume items.

This however seems to be an exception.

Thoughts?

57 minutes ago, matthew-s said:

Poking around the top online pre-owned Leica shops I'm surprised to see that the M10-P is priced neck-and-neck with the M10-R

Given the presumptive improved low light performance, and the higher resolution sensor, this surprised me a bit. What would be the reasoning for this, aesthetics alone?!?

Any of the Leica cameras that have the script on the top plate tend to hold their value more, at least from what I've seen when checking used  equipment prices.  Just for comparison, check the 10P vs a 10R black paint with script if you can find one used.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Photosite said:

The M10R is the exact same camera as the M10P. Just with another sensor. 

Locally i see used (converted in USD)

M10P - around $4,600

M10R - around $5,100

M11    - around $6,100

I see at the Leica store they’re priced the same at $6,000. 

Those local prices seem to be quite a bit better than what I see in USA, although the Leica store prices are similar. 

Prices for used M vary greatly with the retailer in the U.S.  One sensor difference is the highlight recovery of the R is significantly improved over the P.  

The M10 series may be popular for many years, the changes to the shutter and baseplate on the M11 are concerning to many.  

• Like 2

from my observation, the m10p holds better value, just like comments above, it's the p series, with leica script on top plate while m10r is the vanilla version and not made in P except the m10r black paint 

honestly i like the looks of P, right now, the price on R is still a bit higher than the P variant but i cant deny thinking one day they will be absolutely neck to neck the most

R will still commends a higher value being a later generation of M.. however i'd pick R still despite my love of P version, due to its improved sensor and my shooting situation loves highlights and daylights.. and iso100 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In addition to the above comments, the M10-P has been officially discontinued, and was popular even when current, while the R has not yet become scarce (black paint aside).  Besides looks, some also prefer a 24MP sensor as the “sweet spot” for the M, and for digital cameras in general.

Jeff

I tend to shop in the UK and I suspect that the R will depreciate more in the coming months (looking at sold items on eBay)

One of the man maths justifications I used to buy my (secondhand) R was that it was comparatively cheaper for a newer camera than when I got standard M10 (also secondhand)

The P always commands a premium over a standard model, even on Leica upgrade programs 

Unless one has a particular reason not to want 40mp then with everything else feature and price wise being equal between R and P, then the R is IMHO a no brainier, the sensor output is superior to the M10/p range in just about every measurable metric and many (myself included) find the R sensor superior aesthetically too

If the P is what the heart wants, then waiting until the inevitable M11P might be advisable to see what happens with the 10P prices

Just thinking out loud here… but the R might well have all the ingredients to be a modern classic  it already has quite the following, it was the last in a long line of digital Ms that followed a similar formula (before the quite radical changes with the M11) and it only had a short production run

my Leica dealer tells me it’s discontinued, and that the M10M is ‘special order only’ of course your dealer may tell you something different. Searching Euro dealers online it seems that if they have R stock they list it, but if not the only options are the M11 and the film Ms (ie I might see a listing for the M11 that’s “awaiting stock” but the R seems to be in stock or absent altogether)

• Like 1