6 bit coding detection on Leica M to Adaptor L vs manual selection of M lenses on menu

northernlights

54 minutes ago, northernlights said:

The lens profile is pulled down from the menu in camera. The lens profile is embedded onto the file taken by the camera. The adaptor does nothing. 
what the Leica adaptor does is recognise the lens automatically from the 6-bit coding and transmits this to the camera. 

so the answer is a lens profile can be embedded into the file because a manual selection is done.  The pull down is the bottom right button in the SL(601)

Is this coming from a Leica Store in Singapore? Few times I had the impression that some people in Leica stores haven't even used the camera or lean the interaction book.

This is not how it works on the SL2 or SL2s, sounds very strange to me that the 601 works a different way.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Yea but if an adapter is not connected electronically the camera does not know it is there, which means that the best way to mount an M lens is to use the Leica adapter which will bring up the lens choice menu. It is indeed more expensive than third party ones but we are talking about a multi thousand dollar camera. That should not be an objection. People carry it in eye watering expensive bags which add nothing to the functionality. 

On 1/9/2023 at 6:33 PM, LEGEND said:

Hi,

Perhaps this is why I thought that lens correction is applied also when you use non-Leica M to L adapter...
At that time I got the answer on my question about this issue from a Leica Store employe...

I was using the Leica SL 601... After that I never really checked if this is the case or not...
I just wanted to use my SL and shoot photos...  3 years after purchase of my SL 601
, when the SL2 came out, I bought her immediately and later changed to Leica L-Adapter-M...
Now I use SL2-S that is excellent... ;) :D 

Nikola

2 hours ago, Photoworks said:

Is this coming from a Leica Store in Singapore? Few times I had the impression that some people in Leica stores haven't even used the camera or lean the interaction book.

This is not how it works on the SL2 or SL2s, sounds very strange to me that the 601 works a different way.

I said Leica Service Center. They are technicians. 

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

Yea but if an adapter is not connected electronically the camera does not know it is there, which means that the best way to mount an M lens is to use the Leica adapter which will bring up the lens choice menu. It is indeed more expensive than third party ones but we are talking about a multi thousand dollar camera. That should not be an objection. People carry it in eye watering expensive bags which add nothing to the functionality. 

Precisely the camera does not know the lens is there, hence the need to manually key in. 

I have used various 3rd party adaptors. All of them still allow me to pull out the menu of M lenses you can choose ON CAMERA. 

what the Leica technicians are telling me is the adaptor has NOTHING to do with the camera and the m lense selection done ON CAMERA. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

You do have an EXIF file, only the lens information is blank. 

Thanks this is useful. Just wondering if the lens aperture info in EXIF is correct. Well perhaps, since the camera would have calculated the shutter speed, aperture and ISO setting for the exposure I wanted. 

It is rarely

32 minutes ago, northernlights said:

Precisely the camera does not know the lens is there, hence the need to manually key in. 

I have used various 3rd party adaptors. All of them still allow me to pull out the menu of M lenses you can choose ON CAMERA. 

what the Leica technicians are telling me is the adaptor has NOTHING to do with the camera and the m lense selection done ON CAMERA. 

The Leica technicians are not  quite correct. The Leica adapters DO communicate with the camera so it knows one is mounted and activate the automatic menu and it communicates whether there is a M or R adapter mounted so it shows the correct list. I do not know whether the R adapter can read the ROM though. There is even an EOS adapter ( by Novoflex I think) which allows AF.The lens lists are quite useless for non-Leica lenses though. There are no correct profiles for them and the only thing you can do is select a same focal length and approximate aperture for EXIF  and kill the (incorrect) profile in LR.  
Too much of a hassle for me. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Luke_Miller said:

I believe the ability to read the 6 bit code is unique to digital M bodies.

There is some confusion here. The adapter isn't coded, it reads 6-bit codes and transfers them to the SL body via the regular L-Mount contacts.

The camera will automatically prompt you to choose a lens from a list if you use it with a non-coded lens. Passive adapters (with no electronic contacts) do not prompt you, but you can still pick a lens manually if you want to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jaapv said:

It is rarely

The Leica technicians are not  quite correct. The Leica adapters DO communicate with the camera so it knows one is mounted and activate the automatic menu and it communicates whether there is a M or R adapter mounted so it shows the correct list. I do not know whether the R adapter can read the ROM though. There is even an EOS adapter ( by Novoflex I think) which allows AF.The lens lists are quite useless for non-Leica lenses though. There are no correct profiles for them and the only thing you can do is select a same focal length and approximate aperture for EXIF  and kill the (incorrect) profile in LR.  
Too much of a hassle for me. 

correct, and thats why the M>L adapter has its own firmware built in