6 bit coding detection on Leica M to Adaptor L vs manual selection of M lenses on menu

northernlights

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use 3rd party M to L adaptors with no electronic contacts. 

Question 1:

Can I ask SL users if the manual selection of M lenses on SL menu achieves the same as using a Leica M to adaptor L (or early T) where camera reads the 6 bit coding on the Leica M lens (6 bit coded). My SL despite using a third party adaptor is able to magnify, pull out the M lenses selection. 

Question 2: 

If the answer to Q1 above is yes. Then I assume that in actual fact the camera has in-camera-software-corrected the image based on the M lens selection.

However, when I try to get info on the image, the focal length is shown as 0mm. Photos uploaded to Flickr shows no lens info. I found this to be the case in 2 SL’s I have owned and the TL2. 

Is this the same experience with SL users out here?

Thanks.  

Edited by northernlights
Added info

Hi,

Few years ago I had the same question... 
I had used the Novoflex M to L adapter that have no 6-Bit code sensor...
I asked in one Leica Store for an advice and they told me that if I input 
the correct lens inside a camera menu the lens correction for this lens 
will be applied... 
Also this is important for the correct working of IBIS... 

In the mean time I purchased Leica L-Adpater-M because it better build quality,
has 6-Bit code sensor that can can transmit the camera what lens is mounted
and this will be inside the EXIF...
With this Leica adapter you don't need to input 
what Leica M lens is mounted as long the lens has 6-Bit coding.... 

Since the last FW update you can input what ever the focal length you want 
if is it not listed under the Leica M lenses...
But that way you will not get lens correction...
This is only for the IBIS so that it can work properly...

I hope that answer your questions...

Nikola

10 hours ago, northernlights said:

Thank you Nicola. Mine is SL(601) with no IBIS. 
Hence, my concern is even without the Leica adaptor, I can still use a third party adaptor and get my lens corrected on software based on lens profile, if I selected under drop down list. 

Hi,

You can make a test if you want to be sure...
Mount the lens on the camera, select the lens in the menu...
Make one photo... Than the the same lens just turn the lens select
in the menu Off and make another photo...
Import them in the RAW editor that you use and check the photos...

If there is any difference than the lens correction work...
That way you can be sure is the correction applied or not...
I also tested this with my Novoflex M to L adapter...

But I made more photos... One with aperture fully open and one photo
focused on the minimal focus distance of M lenses 0,7m and another 
focused on infinite...

The best is also to shoot on something white or
similar so you can easier the vignette...
This is to test if there is vignette correction apllied or not...
If yes than also other lens correction must be with this also...
Just try this and you will know for sure...

Enjoy your Leica SL (601)... 
I had it also... Now I use Leica Sl2-S and before her tI used SL2...
Original SL 601 is a great camera with excellent
Leica color science... Used her with my M lenses 
and also with Vario Elmarit SL 24-90 Asph. that 
I purchased together with the camera...
VE 24-90 Asph. is great lens, with superb quality
but it is little bit heavy so it is not for everybody...
I used her for shooting fashion weeks, weddings,
events, portraits and street photography...
The SL 601 never let me down...
Very reliable camera system at least in my experience...

Nikola

Edited by LEGEND
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, northernlights said:

Can I ask SL users if the manual selection of M lenses on SL menu achieves the same as using a Leica M to adaptor L (or early T) where camera reads the 6 bit coding on the Leica M lens (6 bit coded). My SL despite using a third party adaptor is able to magnify, pull out the M lenses selection. 

3rd party adapter only ad IBIS when selecting lens from menu, not an option on SL 601

Only when the camera has read the 6bit coding from the lens and the Leica M adapter ANY CORRECTION get applied.
Correction are vignetting, flag, evening out colors from center to sides. this correction are mostly noticeable in wide-angle lenses like the 21 SEM.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

38 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

3rd party adapter only ad IBIS when selecting lens from menu, not an option on SL 601

Only when the camera has read the 6bit coding from the lens and the Leica M adapter ANY CORRECTION get applied.
Correction are vignetting, flag, evening out colors from center to sides. this correction are mostly noticeable in wide-angle lenses like the 21 SEM.

Hi,

I need to test this with my Novoflex M to L adapter and also with the Leica M-Adapter-L...
I was told that this could work also without original Leica adapter... 
Perhaps differences are not that big so I did't notice them...
I used my Summilux M 50 Asph. for test... Will try again but now with my Elmar M 24 f3,8 Asph.
Will report what are the results...

Nikola

Just did the test with my Elmar M 24 f3,8 Asph. on the Leica L-Adapter-M 
with lens correction in camera set to Auto... The camera showed the mounted
lens... I made photo with open aperture with focus set on 0,7m...
Than I turned off the lens correction in the camera and made a photo...
You can clearly see the difference with correction applied or not...

I changed the adapter to Novoflex M to L and mounted the same lens...
Set the lens manually in the lens correction menu and make the photo...
Also make one with lens correction turned off... All this with open aperture
and focused on 0,7m distance...

Imported the photos in the Capture One Pro and checked the photo...
So you are right... You can see that the lens correction was only applied 
on the first photo when I used original Leica L-Adapter-M mounted on my 
SL2-S and Elmar M 24 f3,8 Asph.  

In all other instances, with lens corection turned off and with the Novoflex M to L
adapter the result was the same... No lens correction was applied... 

Thank you for correcting me... I always thought there is no difference but I was wrong...
I use this Novoflex adapter only for some non Leica M lenses...

Now I need to clean my sensor because I got some dust inside performing this test...
Not a problem... I planed to clean it anyway... :D 

Nikola

• Like 1

Yes , I think that is the reason I though that the lens correction was also applied when I used Novoflex M to L adapter...
90% of the time I shoot with my Summilux M 50 Asph.    If not the other 10% are with my VE 24-90, cron 35 Asph.
or with my newly purchased Elmar M 24 f3,8 Asph.  I did't use him that much because lately but I will soon... ;) 
I would love to have noct M 50 f0,95 but I have no money to buy him... At least not in the moment... :D 

Nikola

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/266302-sl-with-lightroom-profile-correctionsm-lenses-with-original-adapter/

This is the thread found in 2016. So refers to SL(601). It discusses double correction resulting in over corrected images. 

It seems that SL does embed a lens correction profile in DNG. 

there will be an interface dialog confirming this. If none, on LR or other software, you can ‘turn on” lens correction and image is corrected. 

this can be achieved without the original Leica adaptor it seems as correction on third party or Leica vintage uncoded lens can be done by approximating the lens profile nearest to the lens. For Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZM, some people choose Leica 35 lux pre-FLE profile. I remember reading this. 

8 hours ago, northernlights said:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/266302-sl-with-lightroom-profile-correctionsm-lenses-with-original-adapter/

This is the thread found in 2016. So refers to SL(601). It discusses double correction resulting in over corrected images. 

there will be an interface dialog confirming this. If none, on LR or other software, you can ‘turn on” lens correction and image is corrected. 

this can be achieved without the original Leica adaptor it seems as correction on third party or Leica vintage uncoded lens can be done by approximating the lens profile nearest to the lens. For Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZM, some people choose Leica 35 lux pre-FLE profile. I remember reading this. 

Hi,

Perhaps this is why I thought that lens correction is applied also when you use non-Leica M to L adapter...
At that time I got the answer on my question about this issue from a Leica Store employe...

I was using the Leica SL 601... After that I never really checked if this is the case or not...
I just wanted to use my SL and shoot photos...  3 years after purchase of my SL 601
, when the SL2 came out, I bought her immediately and later changed to Leica L-Adapter-M...
Now I use SL2-S that is excellent... ;) :D 

Nikola

I just verified this with Leica Service Center in Singapore that Leica SL (601) does embed lens profile when you manually select. 

this enables users to use other third party adaptors or non-6 bit coded lenses to be optimised. But we lose EXIF info and auto lens optimisation for 6 bit m lenses 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, northernlights said:

I just verified this with Leica Service Center in Singapore that Leica SL (601) does embed lens profile when you manually select. 

this enables users to use other third party adaptors or non-6 bit coded lenses to be optimised. But we lose EXIF info and auto lens optimisation for 6 bit m lenses 

That is strange choice from Leica.

Assume you have a Voigtlander 21mm lens and in the camera menu you pick a Leica 21mm Lens from the lens profile because other lenses from Voigtlander are not listed.

the result would be a possible wrong correction of shading and vignetting in the DNG. how can that be a benefit? isn't it better to do it in post?

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 1:54 PM, northernlights said:

I use 3rd party M to L adaptors with no electronic contacts. 

Question 1:

Question 2: 

If the answer to Q1 above is yes. Then I assume that in actual fact the camera has in-camera-software-corrected the image based on the M lens selection.

However, when I try to get info on the image, the focal length is shown as 0mm. Photos uploaded to Flickr shows no lens info. I found this to be the case in 2 SL’s I have owned and the TL2. 

Is this the same experience with SL users out here?

Thanks.  

How could an adapter without lens code reader recognize a lens?  That is totally impossible. And there are no adapters with such a reader. So no, the L mount cannot detect M mount lenses automatically, ever.

16 hours ago, Photoworks said:

the result would be a possible wrong correction of shading and vignetting in the DNG. how can that be a benefit? isn't it better to do it in post?

There are endless discussions in the M forum which lens profile will fit which third-party lens, although most are in the past, as a CCD sensor needs them more than a CMOS one.. The real answer is: almost never one of the same focal length. Just correct in postprocessing. 

18 hours ago, northernlights said:

The camera  will not recognize a non-electronically connected adapter, so the only adapter that automatically brings up the lens choice menu is the Leica one. 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 2:38 AM, northernlights said:

This discussion is about M mount lenses on an M camera and does not tell us anything about the L mount and adapters - and contains its fair share of bollocks anyway.It refers to an obsolete version of Lightroom too. (It is from 2016) 

6 hours ago, northernlights said:

I got a reply from Leica Singapore:

“Because the lens profiles are in the camera, the adapter has nothing to do with it, once profile is selected it will embedded in the files”

please ask leica singapore how to select an M or R lens profile in-camera when using an uncoded adapter a.k.a non-leica adapter.

The lens profile is pulled down from the menu in camera. The lens profile is embedded onto the file taken by the camera. The adaptor does nothing. 
what the Leica adaptor does is recognise the lens automatically from the 6-bit coding and transmits this to the camera. 

so the answer is a lens profile can be embedded into the file because a manual selection is done.  The pull down is the bottom right button in the SL(601)

However, no EXIF file is transmitted to the camera as there is no electronic contact on the 3rd party adaptor. 

so when a non Leica adaptor is used, you just don’t have EXIF files. 

but the image captured (file) has been corrected by the M lens profile chosen manually.