CaptureOne sizing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been getting to grips generally with C1 having moved on from PS Elements but I have failed to solve one issue.

Prior to posting images on this forum my PSE process was to "save for web" as JPEG then see the size of the file.  I could then adjust the size, if necessary, by changing the image % to perhaps 90% or whatever until an acceptable size appeared.

Under C1 I cannot find a similar Export process which allows me to see the size of a file produced under "JPEG for web".  The Dpi field can be changed, as can the size of the longest side but nowhere can I see the size result of any adjustments. Surely it cannot be a trial and error process to Export then view in MAC finder to see the size after each adjustment.

Can anybody advise what I am missing?

You click on the export and the export window opens.
You can then control the file size via the Jpeg quality between 30 - 70%
Change the resolution from 300 px to 75 - 100.
Edge length 2048
Under Summary you will then see the file size.
When you have found the "right" size, save it as the "forum size". You do this at the top of the export window by clicking the 3 dots next to Processing Presets and then Add Preset and New Processing Preset.

Edited by M Street Photographer
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, M Street Photographer said:

Change the resolution from 300 px to 75 - 100.

Subject drift FYI: changing the resolution is unnecessary.  The "resolution" field only affects a metadata field.  It has little effect on file size.

Proof: I exported the same image with "long edge" limited to 2000 pixels twice, changing only the resolution field between exports.  One was set to 300 px/in the other 72 px/in.   The file sizes were:

• 2,957,172 L1000052-300.jpg
  • 2,957,551 L1000052-72.jpg

Interesting that save with a resolution of "300" was ever so slightly bigger.  Haven't a clue why.  If you dig into the metadata you'll find the change is the value of the "X Resolution" and "Y resolution" fields.

Yes, for some reason Capture One saved one image at an every so slightly different size.  I haven't a clue why.  I made no edits to the source image. I only changed the resolution field between exports.

The file sizes should be identical as the X and Y resolution are stored in what is called "rational64u" format.  That is two unsigned 32 bit values, one for a numerator and the other for a denominator.   Using that format 72 and 300 (and any other value) take up exactly the same amount of space.

You'll have to ask Capture One why the file sizes are different.  Many years ago I did the same test in Aperture.  The file sizes were the same.  I'm pretty sure they are the same in Lightroom Classic, too.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, leica dream said:

Thanks, M Street, but does not work at all for me.

FYR.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 hour ago, M Street Photographer said:

Yea, but the Jpeg quality is 80 %, go down up to 30 %. Or what you want for 1 Mb.

😅

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I raised the matter with Capture One support and their response below is that there is nothing which will help.....yet.

"Thank you for contacting us.  There's not a feature like this, but we've heard from some users about it being the best way to control the image size.
I have forwarded your comments and suggestions to our Product Management team as something to consider in a future release. Hopefully, your feedback contributes towards a future version of Capture One.
Though we cannot comment on future releases and the features to be added, we recommend keeping an eye on this article - you can click Follow next to the title of the article to stay up to date with new features and improvements.

And thank you for this feedback on Capture One - we appreciate the time you've taken to contribute towards the development of the software."

What Erato posted above shows how to see the Capture One estimate of saved file size as you adjust the slider.  It may be the closest you can get to what you want.  

One issue with the Capture One estimate is that it isn't that great.   I picked an image and set the size to 2000 pixels for "Long Edge (Never upscale)" with the slider set to quality 100.  Estimated size was "~2 MB".  Actual size was 2,957,561 bytes -- closer to 3 MB.  My solution to large jpegs for web use is to use a third party plug-in called JPEGmini.  After JPEGmini does its job that 3 MB image at quality 100 turns into 937,972 bytes, less than 1 MB.   I use it with Lightroom Classic, too.  The few times I've compared before and after it was hard to see any differences.

I have found this by googling "decrease JPEG on MAC".   It worked for my first try by reducing the width so I shall go with this for a while.

1. In the Preview app on your Mac, open the file you want to change.
  2. Choose Tools > Adjust Size, then select “Resample image”.
  3. Enter a smaller value in the Resolution field. The new size is shown at the bottom.

On 1/6/2023 at 8:43 PM, leica dream said:

I have been getting to grips generally with C1 having moved on from PS Elements but I have failed to solve one issue.

Prior to posting images on this forum my PSE process was to "save for web" as JPEG then see the size of the file.  I could then adjust the size, if necessary, by changing the image % to perhaps 90% or whatever until an acceptable size appeared.

Under C1 I cannot find a similar Export process which allows me to see the size of a file produced under "JPEG for web".  The Dpi field can be changed, as can the size of the longest side but nowhere can I see the size result of any adjustments. Surely it cannot be a trial and error process to Export then view in MAC finder to see the size after each adjustment.

Can anybody advise what I am missing?

DPI is a printer value. It has no application to resizing files, which is the number of pixels and jpg quality.