6-bit coding in the UK

LocalHero1953

I don't know of anyone, but if you're tempted to buy a new mount, with recesses in for coding purposes, to fit yourself, "buyer beware".

I bought one on eBay and it was made of very thin, sharp metal - not something I was happy about having between my 24 ASPH and my camera body.

It's a pity that David from Leitax doesn't make them. His replacement mounts are first class.

10 minutes ago, andybarton said:

I don't know of anyone, but if you're tempted to buy a new mount, with recesses in for coding purposes, to fit yourself, "buyer beware".

I bought one on eBay and it was made of very thin, sharp metal - not something I was happy about having between my 24 ASPH and my camera body.

It's a pity that David from Leitax doesn't make them. His replacement mounts are first class.

I'd rather get it done professionally - the lens should outlast me, so I'm doing it for posterity. 

• Like 1

Skyllaney offers a 6-bit coding service, so I have emailed them an inquiry. Like Camera Obscura of notorious report, they do not give you a postal address or land line, just a mobile number and email address, but their instagram site says they are near Dumbarton in Scotland. They appear to have a considerably stronger track record than Camera Obscura, though they are new to me.

Has anyone here dealt with them?

I've never bought from or used Skyllaney before but Leica UK (the Mayfair store IIRC, which had a mini workbench of sorts) had always been accommodating and helpful when I asked them anything Leica related or had any issues. Since you simply wish to swap out your current mount with a 6bit coded one, it might be possible to have them order the part (or use a standard Leica 6bit mount and paint the code in) and do the swap for you. I also recall a thread here about people in the US buying 6bit mounts from Leica USA and doing it themselves - that might be an option (I.e. buying from Leica USA or UK). You can then use any camera tech in the UK to do the swap, e.g. Aperture in London, if you wish for it to be done professionally. 

My preference would be to use Leica 6bit mounts only because you can tell if someone is using a 3rd party 6bit mount and that might affect resale value of the lens if it is sold for whatever reason down the line. The shape of the 6bit milling is different for most 3rd party mounts vs Leica's and may bring up questions of workmanship and provenance even if practically it works the same and even if work was done by a competent tech.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I have a Summilux-M 75 that I want to get 6-bit coded. I think Leica will do it in Germany, but I'm unwilling to lose the lens for the period they are likely to take.

Leica did a fabulous job on my lens and fully srviced it too. Could be worth the wit but unlikely to be a cheap option. You could talk to Skyllaney as I have - they seem very knowledgable and understanding.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Has anyone here dealt with them?

Yes, on multiple occasions. I can only recommend them. Although I'm not sure they are accepting more service work these days, as their main focus is increasingly shifting towards lens design and conversion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have heard back from both Skyllaney and Leica UK. Both asked for information to check if the lens could be coded as-is, or whether it would need a new mount. Both decided that the existing mount could be reused.

Leica's cost was higher - perhaps as one might expect. Their sticking point is that they say it would take up to 12 weeks, while Skyllaney suggest half that. I will go with the latter. Leica's customer service is becoming its achilles heel - who wants to lose their kit for that length of time when there are potential alternatives available?

Skyllaney also made a helpful set of comments about focus calibration of this lens. Although I will use it either on a film M or a SL2-S, not a digital M with its tougher focusing sensitivity, I will be using it mainly for portraiture, and optimising for closer distances would be desirable.

• Like 1

Malcolm Taylor coded and serviced mine for me around 4/5 years ago, as with everything he has done for me, very satisfied customer, though think it was with him around 4 weeks.   I delivered and collected from him as he is only around an hour and a half from me, and chatting with him is a bonus and an education.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boojay said:

Malcolm Taylor coded and serviced mine for me around 4/5 years ago, as with everything he has done for me, very satisfied customer, though think it was with him around 4 weeks.   I delivered and collected from him as he is only around an hour and a half from me, and chatting with him is a bonus and an education.

He has recently serviced my II Model D and a Summitar 5cm. I agree about the pleasure of talking to him, though in my case it has been by phone. He is always full of good advice. I would happily send stuff back to him - I didn't ask him this time as he seemed to have a lot of work on hand, and I wanted to see what Skyllaney were like with what I hope will be a simple job.

I told Leica Mayfair of my reasons for choosing a third party lens coder (the time Leica takes, the unresponsiveness, the lack of information about what they actually do in a service/repair). They acknowledged the issue and said they would pass it back to Wetzlar. 
(I have always received good service from Leica Mayfair).

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

He has recently serviced my II Model D and a Summitar 5cm. I agree about the pleasure of talking to him, though in my case it has been by phone. He is always full of good advice. I would happily send stuff back to him - I didn't ask him this time as he seemed to have a lot of work on hand, and I wanted to see what Skyllaney were like with what I hope will be a simple job.

I told Leica Mayfair of my reasons for choosing a third party lens coder (the time Leica takes, the unresponsiveness, the lack of information about what they actually do in a service/repair). They acknowledged the issue and said they would pass it back to Wetzlar. 
(I have always received good service from Leica Mayfair).

Just because I speak as I find, I wanted to add, last two times I have sent something to Wetzler (aided by Leica Mayfair) service hasn't been too bad time wise.. though of course with the usual price tag.

They CLA'd my Noctilux that had a seized aperture ring and replaced the right dial of my CL that had dropped off and disappeared.  Both were done with return times of 4 weeks approx and I checked progress through the system online, not too shabby really given some of the horror stories reported on occasion, the paperwork that comes back with the repair is good to hang on to and of course offers some warranty. 

Early last summer, my Summilux-SL 75 froze during a lens firmware update when the SL2-S firmware was updated - the camera didn't recognise it. Leica Mayfair sent it to Wetzlar, telling me it would be up to 12 weeks. It took 6 months - I got it back just before Christmas. It took my own inquiries to find out what was going on - I was told they needed a new part, which was delayed from their supplier. It took a number of similar inquiries from me before I eventually got it back. There was no information with it to say what they had done, though it works as it should do. It was not under warranty, and I have the Summicron-SL 90 as an alternative.

So when I was told it might take up to 12 weeks to 6-bit code a lens, I was not prepared to take it on trust! I have sent stuff to Wetzlar on and off since 2011, and although the quality of work has been good, the service: return times, feedback, info on the work done, has got worse.

• 1 month later...

Reporting back: Skyllaney changed the mount and 6-bit coded my Summilux-M 75. From shipping to return it took under a week - very pleased with the service, which included some useful information about focus calibration of this lens, and a calibration check (recalibration wasn't needed). They returned the old mount, which can be passed on if I ever wish to sell the lens (my eyesight would have to deteriorate for that to happen).

• Like 5