loose diopter correction lens on M6 org. - SOLVED

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

So this additional diopter correction lens (not my photo) fell out of my camera - and I am not the first one, judging by the forums.
New M6, MP and M10 series use new type of diopter lens that is perfect (new diopter lens use much more massive thread size and are much bigger).

Later I learned that depending on the year of production, this rubber/metal viewfinder socket is different. Mine looks like early version - maybe that's why additional lens is not holding well.

It's possible to set the dopiter lens once in the camera with small friction, but when you remove it and attach again it starts to screw in normally and then starts screwing without any resistance.
But it's not because of overtightened threads. I think it's because, when the lens is brand new it's surface is rubberized. When you unscrew it and screw in again, the rubber comes off.

I purchased again the same lens. It allowed again to be blocked once in the camera and produced the same effect after some days. Loose.
As it's 150EUR more or less, I started to think what's wrong. Threads on the camera look fine (correct). And threads on the lens itself also correct (sharp, not bent or cut).

I noticed that if you put it in the camera it does not fall out by itself - it stays there, it's just super loose, like the screw thread is too short. Doesn't block itself against anything. In my opinion the thread on the correction lens is not deep enough (it's only 2 thread lines).

So anyway.... That's how the lens looks like brand new (not my photos): 2.jpg

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You can clearly see there are 3 zones in it.

• Thread ring
  • Small inner ring of 0.5-1mm wide
  • External main ring with more or less 1.5mm working surface

By design the inner ring is matching perfectly the recessed ring in the camera viewfinder.

It's a perfect match for the camera socket, which has a bit of recessed ring (rings.jpg)

What I noticed is there is a gap when lens is all the way screwed into the camera, between external ring on the diopter lens and the camera socket.

I measured this gap, it's around 0.5-0.6mm.

I measured diameter of external ring. 13.8mm internal and almost 18mm external size.

I designed a shim and 3D printed from rubber.

It's 14mm internal diameter and 18mm external one. 0.6mm tall. Including a small shrink of material after cooling down it matches perfectly the external ring.

When this shim is inserted between lens and camera it doesn't change the lens position. It only fills in the empty space that was there.
But it stops the lens from wiggling. Somehow, now this lens is rock solid. And I mean, seriously, it's not going anywhere.

I attach the files if someone needs it also.

Summary:

Very early M6 rubber viewfinder and diopter lens do not match perfectly.

Print a rubber ring, put it between lens and camera and done. (IMG_2490.jpg)

Gcode file ready to print.

STL to do the slicing yourself. 0.1mm layer size. 0.2 initial layer. 100% infill (because rubber).

200 degree C. Slow print speed (40mm/sec). 20mm/sec initial layer.

shim.gcode shim.stl

Edited by tester23
  • Like 2

Here is the "diagram" of what I noticed; hope it clarifies:

Edited by tester23
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have a 3d printer at home. But its a very simple print. You just need a material and a device.

The whole thing takes few minutes. If you want to experiment, you might want even to cut it from paper cardboard and verify if it helps before ordering from somewhere.

Are you maybe in EU?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 minutes ago, tester23 said:

I have a 3d printer at home. But its a very simple print. You just need a material and a device.

The whole thing takes few minutes. If you want to experiment, you might want even to cut it from paper cardboard and verify if it helps before ordering from somewhere.

Are you maybe in EU?

I'm in the US. Maybe I'll try the cardboard to verify, my diopter just keeps spinning in place without locking.

23 hours ago, tester23 said:

Hi :) How did it go? Did you manage to lock it in place?

Haven't had time to print them or cut them yet but I'm gonna print a whole sheet of them just in case I make a mistake cutting them. External ring is 18mm, internal ring is 14mm, hope I have the correct measurements.

Edited by Zancrow