Leica M6 TTL battery drain through sensitive release button?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear forum,

since a few weeks my M6 TTL acts strange and it’s losing battery power within a few days or sometimes within hours. I normally have the shutter release cocked to take a photo quickly while on the street. I found out when I turn the dial from OFF to a certain shutter time it is metering immediately or after a slight vibration to the body. I think the shutter release is super sensitive and always read the meter with a slight vibration.

Did someone experience a behavior like this and how can this be solved? I order more batteries than film right now…

Happy new to all of you and best wishes

M

Edited by reiniger

1 hour ago, reiniger said:

Dear forum,

since a few weeks my M6 TTL acts strange and it’s losing battery power within a few days or sometimes within hours. I normally have the shutter release cocked to take a photo quickly while on the street. I found out when I turn the dial from OFF to a certain shutter time it is metering immediately or after a slight vibration to the body. I think the shutter release is super sensitive and always read the meter with a slight vibration.

Did someone experience a behavior like this and how can this be solved? I order more batteries than film right now…

Happy new to all of you and best wishes

M

Hi M

presumably you are turning the shutter dial back to 'B' when you stop using the camera?

. . . . I didn't do that, and putting it in the bag quickly flattened the battery (at least they're cheap!)

best

vor 26 Minuten schrieb jonoslack:

Hi M

presumably you are turning the shutter dial back to 'B' when you stop using the camera?

. . . . I didn't do that, and putting it in the bag quickly flattened the battery (at least they're cheap!)

best

Yes I started to get used to put it in OFF mode but it ruins my nerves since it was never a point for the last 8 years… I want it to behave like it should. It’s really strange I just have to put a finger on the camera (not the trigger release) and the metering starts.

36 minutes ago, reiniger said:

Yes I started to get used to put it in OFF mode but it ruins my nerves since it was never a point for the last 8 years… I want it to behave like it should. It’s really strange I just have to put a finger on the camera (not the trigger release) and the metering starts.

I've just checked mine - when you turn the camera on  and touch the shutter release the meter comes on for about 15 seconds, and then it goes off - it doesn't start again until I touch the shutter - then another 15 seconds. It's a VERY light touch required though.

I guess if yours comes on anyway then there must be something wrong?

best

Jon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm wondering if there is a tiny bit of dirt in there - perhaps metallic - that is enabling the switch to turn on with just vibrations.

On lesser cameras I have been known to spray electrical contact cleaner into areas like that, which blows out any crud and evaporates immediately.  It is actually surprising how many cameras' electrical issues I've fixed like that!  But I've never had to try that with a Leica.

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Huss:

Also... the meter is only activated if the shutter is cocked.  So if you put the camera away uncocked, then no need to turn the shutter speed dial to OFF.

I know that of course.  It just feels more than strange to me to wind the mechanism before each picture.  It hasn't been like this for the last few years and I would just like to have the condition as it is intended.

I was surprised to find my M6ttl dead after carrying it in a full camera bag for a day. The battery was only a few days old and I never have the shutter cocked when in a bag. 
Then I found this which explained why: https://www.nemeng.com/leica/001b.shtml

If there is pressure on the shutter release and the camera is not "off", the battery will drain down regardless if the shutter is wound or released.”

Edited by plaidshirts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, plaidshirts said:

I was surprised to find my M6ttl dead after carrying it in a full camera bag for a day. The battery was only a few days old and I never have the shutter cocked when in a bag. 
Then I found this which explained why: https://www.nemeng.com/leica/001b.shtml

If there is pressure on the shutter release and the camera is not "off", the battery will drain down regardless if the shutter is wound or released.”

Interesting flaw w the M6ttl.  You always have to turn it off to eliminate the chance of running the battery down. Thanks for that link.

vor 53 Minuten schrieb ktmrider2:

Is the battery drain a recent occurrence? Early M6TTL's had a problem draining the batteries really quickly.  I had to return mine to Leica to get it corrected.  But if the symptoms just recently appeared, do not think it would be the same problem. 

Yes it started about 6 month ago after 8 years of use. I think I will need to send it to Leica to get it checked

As far as I know, the battery drain in early M6TTL's was apparent from opening the box.  I doubt you have the same problem as the one I am referring to as I have never heard of a battery drain issue just suddenly appearing after years of use.  And you probably will be better off sending it to Leica if only for peace of mind.  Good luck!

Yep, my M6ttl has the same issue, I have it in line to be serviced, seems to be a bad switch. I bought the camera new in box from a seller in Japan about 6 or 7 years ago, started acting up a couple years back. I have waited to get repaired, but it was bugging me so I finally sent it in.

I am mostly a handheld incident meter guy, should have ignored it, but what's the fun in that?

• 2 weeks later...
Am 11.1.2023 um 20:58 schrieb mshchem:

Yep, my M6ttl has the same issue, I have it in line to be serviced, seems to be a bad switch. I bought the camera new in box from a seller in Japan about 6 or 7 years ago, started acting up a couple years back. I have waited to get repaired, but it was bugging me so I finally sent it in.

I am mostly a handheld incident meter guy, should have ignored it, but what's the fun in that?

Thanks for your reply, so today again my battery died after 4 days. I just called customer service but they told me that service might be hard for the electronics and the repair queue is about 6 months from the day they receive the camera. @mshchem Did you already get a diagnosis from Wetzlar? 

On 1/25/2023 at 7:31 AM, reiniger said:

Thanks for your reply, so today again my battery died after 4 days. I just called customer service but they told me that service might be hard for the electronics and the repair queue is about 6 months from the day they receive the camera. @mshchem Did you already get a diagnosis from Wetzlar? 

I think that now you know that the camera has an electronic fault, and that the work around is to turn it off or leave the camera uncocked, I would do that until it is fixed.

:)

• 2 weeks later...