Lumix S5 II video reviews

Chaemono

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Sigma definitely not, the FP-L has PDAF since 2021 

And even with PDAF it has horrible autofocus.... So I woundnt really count that as a successful implementation, is not about been PDAF is about the reliability. The Pana S1 with contrast only detect had much better autofocus than the sigma. 

12 hours ago, Malabito said:

And even with PDAF it has horrible autofocus.... So I woundnt really count that as a successful implementation, is not about been PDAF is about the reliability. The Pana S1 with contrast only detect had much better autofocus than the sigma. 

Sure. The success of autofocus is mostly dependent on software optimization. But you also need the hardware (PDAF) to make it work.

On 1/30/2023 at 12:20 AM, Malabito said:

Maybe it was Sigma, or Leica who didn't want to leave the contrast detect ;)

I doubt it, Leica and Sigma are totally dependant of Panasonic R&D

However in its last interview, Lumix Director said that image quality issue from PDAF sensors has been solved in S5 II. Such point of view is certainly from Leica, a company obsessed by best IQ possible. 

S5 II SOC is developed by L2 technologies, so Leica and Panasonic R&D teaming  up is quite awesome. First try in PDAF is a success. I am impressed. 

3 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Is that just your estimation? Are you confusing a technical partnership with some other relationship? I think you'll find that Leica was making digital cameras prior to sharing tech with Panasonic 🙂. Were they "totally dependent" on Fujitsu prior to this, and on Jenoptik prior to that? That's not the usual definition of "total dependence," where you choose technical partners and develop products together.

As for Sigma, they've always followed their own road for cameras and lenses, without Panasonic's help.

6 hours ago, nicci78 said:

However in its last interview, Lumix Director said that image quality issue from PDAF sensors has been solved in S5 II. Such point of view is certainly from Leica, a company obsessed by best IQ possible. 

S5 II SOC is developed by L2 technologies, so Leica and Panasonic R&D teaming  up is quite awesome. First try in PDAF is a success. I am impressed. 

image quality issue from PDAF sensors has been solved - i never had an issue with image quality due to PDAF sensors..... but had a lot of issues with contrast detect focus. I always thought of that as a marketing gimmick to excuse themselves behind the horrible contrast detect autofocus. But i guess we will never really know the truth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BernardC said:

Is that just your estimation? Are you confusing a technical partnership with some other relationship? I think you'll find that Leica was making digital cameras prior to sharing tech with Panasonic 🙂. Were they "totally dependent" on Fujitsu prior to this, and on Jenoptik prior to that? That's not the usual definition of "total dependence," where you choose technical partners and develop products together.

As for Sigma, they've always followed their own road for cameras and lenses, without Panasonic's help.

For Leica, it is sure they signed multi-years technology sharing agreement with Panasonic since august 2000. Renewed many times. 
Leica’s AF tech is Panasonic DFD. 
Leica Q is full of Lumix tech. 
Sölm then Wetzlar has always been open about that. 
L-mount alliance then L2 technologies are just 2 steps further.  

https://news.panasonic.com/global/topics/4817

Edited by nicci78

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, nicci78 said:

For Leica, it is sure they signed multi-years technology sharing agreement with Panasonic since august 2000. Renewed many times. 
Leica’s AF tech is Panasonic DFD. 
Leica Q is full of Lumix tech. 
Sölm then Wetzlar has always been open about that. 
L-mount alliance then L2 technologies are just 2 steps further.  

Nobody doubts the partnership. It's the "totally dependent" statement that implies something different.

14 hours ago, BernardC said:

Nobody doubts the partnership. It's the "totally dependent" statement that implies something different.

Let’s see 🧐

No Panasonic tech = no D-Lux, no C-Lux, no V-Lux, no CL, no SL, no Q, no state of the art digital M (we can go back to M8/M9 Jenoptic era) 

Look how subpar zéro Panasonic tech was : X series and T series. 
When Leica fully embraced what Lumix has to offer, we got still awesome products : Q, SL, CL, M10, Q2, SL2, M11. 
Leica is not an electronic company, obviously they need what Panasonic can offer.
Hopefully the PDAF taboo is no more.
Leica will thrive with future PDAF SL3 and Q3 

7 hours ago, nicci78 said:

No Panasonic tech = no D-Lux, no C-Lux, no V-Lux, no CL, no SL, no Q, no state of the art digital M (we can go back to M8/M9 Jenoptic era) 

Look how subpar zéro Panasonic tech was : X series and T series. 

You forgot the S (all 4 generations), M240, and M10, which were all state-of-the-art in their days. Some people subscribe to a theory that the M11 is a Sony product. The X and T series had class-leading IQ at the time, they weren't "sub par" 10 years ago.

Correction: you did include the M10, which has a Leica-exclusive sensor, a Fujitsu CPU, and Leica software. Not sure how that makes it "totally dependent" on Panasonic. It's your theory, not mine, so I suspect there's some rationalization going on behind the scenes.🙂

• Like 1

T & X series are the prime exemples of when Leica try to not use Panasonic tech, it kind of goes wrong

• T is the worst camera I ever owned : über slow : AF, blackout, general operation, etc... So so IQ. Nothing to rave about : I really hated how saturated the reds were with T. You can like it of course, but I don't. Ultimately Leica did not carry on such look in any of its camera. 
  • X series never appeal to me : slow operation, never really understand the appeal. 
  • M typ 240 series were slow to start up, especially against instant M9, and its thickness makes it less appealing. 

CL vs TL2 is the best exemple of Lumix technology superiority : it is faster and it's great. 

Q and SL could have been Panasonic cameras with Leica UI, and they were great in 2015 and still are in 2023. Whereas X typ 113 and T were so-so at best, subpar at worst in 2014 and no-go in 2023. 

Now it is history, Leica embraced fully what Pana has to offer and it is for the best. Even better, Leica and Lumix tied their future forever with L2 technologies. It is a smart move, maybe two turkeys can make an eagle. 

Edited by nicci78