Lumix S5 II video reviews

Chaemono

32 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

SSD recording looks like a monstrosity. Should have internal SSD for extra cost, just like Hasselblad X2D

It is a USB-C SSD connected to USB-C port. HDMI port still according to this photo

Obviously it is absolutely impossible to connect SSD to HDMI

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I guess you haven't seen too many video rigs. That's less of a monstrosity than most.

And Hasselblad 1Tb internal SSD is too small for me. I'd rather choose my own for external use.

1 hour ago, Chaemono said:

The next iteration of L-mount cameras will have to offer 4K 60p recording with full sensor, not APS-C crop, to become relevant, again.

Panasonic needs to keep some specs for future S1H mark II. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I guess you haven't seen too many video rigs. That's less of a monstrosity than most.

And Hasselblad 1Tb internal SSD is too small for me. I'd rather choose my own for external use.

Not supporting internal SSD m.2 stick nor CF Express cards lead to such monstrosity. 

An USB-C hub should make the trick to connect both power delivery and external SSD. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We should rejoice. S5 II is the sign that SL3/SL3-S will be awesome. 
Panasonic stubbornness almost killed the whole L-mount alliance. Hopefully S5 II PDAF is the light at the end of the dreaded DFD tunnel for Leica too. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Panasonic needs to keep some specs for future S1H mark II. 

Obviously it is speculation, but Matthew Allard from newsshooter.com writes in his announcement write up: "You don’t have to read between the lines to work out that the S5 II and S5 II x are essentially the S1H replacement. The original S5 is not being discontinued, and despite the new cameras wearing the S5 name, it is safe to assume that they are the new flagship cameras and there won’t be an S1H II."

In the comments he supports this with comments from his Panasonic contacts that "There is no S1H II around the corner. There isn’t one in development and there are no current plans to make one."

Take this with a grain of salt obviously as they may or may not make their real roadmap known to him, and there certainly is still room for an even better-spec'd video camera in their line.

19 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Not for me, if it can't use a SSD at the same time as running off mains power. I'll keep to my Sigma fp till that is clearer.

This is Panasonic official way to provide unlimited power to S5 II without using USB C. Leaving it free for external SSD.

1 minute ago, nicci78 said:

This is Panasonic official way to provide unlimited power to S5 II without using USB C. Leaving it free for external SSD.

Thanks - so it's a dummy battery. That's how the Sigma fp does it, and it works well.

Edited by LocalHero1953

S1 mark II line up will come for sure. Leica will certainly base their future SL3 line upon S1 mark II not S5 mark II.

S5 mark II is not high end enough for Leica. 3.6M dots EVF is not enough. SL3 need to be 60MP at least and SL3-S should be a stacked sensor to make sense on the market in 2023-24

Edited by nicci78

On 1/5/2023 at 10:11 PM, nicci78 said:

We should rejoice. S5 II is the sign that SL3/SL3-S will be awesome. 
Panasonic stubbornness almost killed the whole L-mount alliance. Hopefully S5 II PDAF is the light at the end of the dreaded DFD tunnel for Leica too. 

Maybe it was Sigma, or Leica who didn't want to leave the contrast detect ;)

Edited by Malabito