Lumix S5 II video reviews

Chaemono

• Chaemono changed the title to Lumix S5 II video reviews

TLDR version: AF is now as good as any competitor, stabilization is still better than any other full frame. There's a new "L2" processor which we can expect to see in future Leica SL bodies.

This is great news for Leica. Future bodies will be class-leading, and there's a no-compromise smaller body from Panasonic for those who balk at the price/bulk, but still want to use Leica lenses.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wonder if Leica will incorporate a fan in the SL3-S? It looks like that might be the way to go for a faster processor and heavy video workload.

I’m tempted by this to replace my Sigma fp (there’sa good trade in deal), but I can’t see how one can record to external SSD and use an external power supply: both are needed for long video recording. But there’s an attraction in having a camera with a proper EVF and a real shutter, despite the absence of those being less of a problem for video. 

Edited by LocalHero1953

I was thinking of replacing my Fuji XT3 with an XH2s (primarily used for travel/family/video/AF/backup to my SL2-s on paid gigs) but this may be a better option. It is cheaper even if I wait for the "x" model, and features a 24x36mm sensor! I will lose out in the overall system size (especially size of lenses) but perhaps it will balance out with shared mount/adaptors with my SL2-s.

Looking forward to handling/shooting one alongside an XH2s at my dealer when it is available.

19 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Power supply via USB-C, external SSD recording via HDMI. https://www.parkcameras.com/blog/panasonic-lumix-s5-ii-and-s5-ii-x-review_lumix-04-1

Yes, I see that on the official specs as well (recording to SSD via USB abd HDMI). I would want to see what that means in reality - wouldn't it need some sort of signal conversion to connect to a lightweight USB SSD such as the Samsung T5 or T7?

779 PDAF AF points on the new 24 MPx image sensor + 315 CDAF points supported by a newly developed L2 Processor …… this means serious business on AF capability.

However I am still puzzled that if e shutter can produce 30fps with continuous autofocus but it is again limited at a industry slowest 7fps on mechanical shutter with continuous AF?

What is stopping Panasonic from producing at least 10 fps with continuous autofocus?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

What is stopping Panasonic from producing at least 10 fps with continuous autofocus?

For one thing, the mechanical shutter is limited to 9fps, so 10fps isn't in the cards for that particular hardware. Don't forget that the S5 is an "entry level" camera (hard to believe given the specifications). Maybe we'll get an S1 replacement with a bigger battery and a more expensive shutter.

30 minutes ago, BernardC said:

For one thing, the mechanical shutter is limited to 9fps, so 10fps isn't in the cards for that particular hardware. Don't forget that the S5 is an "entry level" camera (hard to believe given the specifications). Maybe we'll get an S1 replacement with a bigger battery and a more expensive shutter.

9fps is only with AFS and not AFC. Similarly SL2 can only do medium drive speed max with AFC. While Sony can do at least 10fps.

1 minute ago, sillbeers15 said:

9fps is only with AFS and not AFC. Similarly SL2 can only do medium drive speed max with AFC. While Sony can do at least 10fps.

My point was that the maximum fps of the camera is 9 with the mechanical shutter. So it won't do 10fps, regardless of AF mode. Sony can do 10 fps, maybe that's worth an extra $500 to you. Keep in mind that the a7rIV maxes-out at 6 fps if you shoot raw, whereas the S5II can shoot 200 raw frames at 9 fps.

As I mentioned, maybe a future S1 replacement or SL3 will use a more expensive shutter that can reach higher fps.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Power supply via USB-C, external SSD recording via HDMI. https://www.parkcameras.com/blog/panasonic-lumix-s5-ii-and-s5-ii-x-review_lumix-04-1

Recording to SSD via HDMI and USB is for the S5 IIX only, so we may have to wait till May to see if the HDMI bit is true or not.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Recording to SSD via HDMI and USB is for the S5 IIX only, so we may have to wait till May to see if the HDMI bit is true or not.

SSD recording looks like a monstrosity. Should have internal SSD for extra cost, just like Hasselblad X2D

It is a USB-C SSD connected to USB-C port. HDMI port still according to this photo

Obviously it is absolutely impossible to connect SSD to HDMI

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1