M6 2022 - Black Shadows on some photos per roll

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is a problem of the shutter, this will happen with Leicas if not used for some times and a cold weather. Leica service will renew lubricant. Weird for a brand new camera but typical for old cameras that were in storage.

Edited by Al F.
Typo

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Al F.:

This is a problem of the shutter, this will happen with Leicas if not used for some times and a cold weather. Leica service will renew lubricant. Weird for a brand new camera but typical for old cameras that were in storage.

The shutter is not adjusted. What you describe is a problem of cameras 50 years old which where never serviced.

I don't think that modern lubricants will thicken up that much in cold weather. 

I never had a Problem in cold weather.

vor 25 Minuten schrieb Fotoklaus:

The shutter is not adjusted. What you describe is a problem of cameras 50 years old which where never serviced.

I don't think that modern lubricants will thicken up that much in cold weather. 

I never had a Problem in cold weather.

They really want you to feel the legacy of the M6! Probably they just packaged refurbished ones and sell them as "new" 🙂 That's how money is made!

Today I received a quote from Leica about a 125 EUR analog M service fee which would have to be paid if the camera was not under warranty anymore. It also includes a note that they admit there was an issue with my bayonet (which was a bit loose, the lens was moving around while focusing) which needs to be corrected. Funny enough that the guy from which I bought the camera on day one mentioned "this is normal, nothing to worry about". I would have trusted him if I hadn't coincidentally talked to a friend with an old M6 which does not behave the same way... 

And, without any comments, there were other items on what the service contained. 2 of them are regarding the shutter:

1. In German "Auslösung zu hoch" - which basically means "shutter / release too high"?
  2. In German "Auslösepunkt justieren" - Shutter release point adjustment 

Will check back with them whether this is just the typical check list of the analog M service they are applying or whether this is based on my findings/the pictures I sent them. 

Fingers crossed all the existing issues are gone with this! But still a surprise how long this will take until I can hold the camera in my hands again.

Cheers,
J

• Like 1

So your brand new 2022 M6 was shipped with a loose bayonet mount and an incorrectly adjusted shutter.

Ahh, those Leica quality checks they brag about on those little cards they ship with the camera!

And of course some people on this site claiming you are at fault...

At least those things are an easy fix and be thankful yours wasn't a film scratcher.  That can be harder to track down.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Jewl said:

Today I received a quote from Leica about a 125 EUR analog M service fee which would have to be paid if the camera was not under warranty anymore. It also includes a note that they admit there was an issue with my bayonet (which was a bit loose, the lens was moving around while focusing) which needs to be corrected. Funny enough that the guy from which I bought the camera on day one mentioned "this is normal, nothing to worry about". I would have trusted him if I hadn't coincidentally talked to a friend with an old M6 which does not behave the same way... 

And, without any comments, there were other items on what the service contained. 2 of them are regarding the shutter:

1. In German "Auslösung zu hoch" - which basically means "shutter / release too high"?
  2. In German "Auslösepunkt justieren" - Shutter release point adjustment 

Will check back with them whether this is just the typical check list of the analog M service they are applying or whether this is based on my findings/the pictures I sent them. 

Fingers crossed all the existing issues are gone with this! But still a surprise how long this will take until I can hold the camera in my hands again.

Cheers,
J

This is typical of the feedback I have received about repairs I have had done i.e. minimal and unspecific. It doesn't mean that they don't do a good repair - but you'll never know what caused the problem, why it happened, or what they did to fix it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

This is typical of the feedback I have received about repairs I have had done i.e. minimal and unspecific. It doesn't mean that they don't do a good repair - but you'll never know what caused the problem, why it happened, or what they did to fix it.

In 2014 when I sent my M6 TTL Millennium to the factory for service, I filled out the service form downloaded from the web and included it with the camera. Even though I was half way around the world, there was good communication from customer service and when the camera retuned, there was an invoice of all the works that had been completed. Apparently, all of those folks have retired and new staff is not quite grasping the full meaning of including the customer in customer service.

• Like 3

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Huss:

So your brand new 2022 M6 was shipped with a loose bayonet mount and an incorrectly adjusted shutter.

Ahh, those Leica quality checks they brag about on those little cards they ship with the camera!

And of course some people on this site claiming you are at fault...

At least those things are an easy fix and be thankful yours wasn't a film scratcher.  That can be harder to track down.

Yes that‘s what annoys me about this, we as a end customer need to convince them sth is wrong and as mentioned, if I hadn‘t double checked this again after Leica mentioned this is the normal behavior (they checked my video I provided with Leica in Wetzlar) I would have accepted a faulty camera… but wait until it is back etc. - cannot trust this at the moment. Nevertheless, hope your scratching thing is going to be solved with the first attempt! 

vor 11 Stunden schrieb LocalHero1953:

Yes the last time my M11 came back without any changes (failure was still prevalent) even though they applied their standard service and mentioned they understood the issue and fixed it

vor 9 Stunden schrieb madNbad:

In 2014 when I sent my M6 TTL Millennium to the factory for service, I filled out the service form downloaded from the web and included it with the camera. Even though I was half way around the world, there was good communication from customer service and when the camera retuned, there was an invoice of all the works that had been completed. Apparently, all of those folks have retired and new staff is not quite grasping the full meaning of including the customer in customer service.

As always, the good ol times… but I agree, it feels as if this was really way more thoroughly treated in the past. But the price tag for these type of services is still hefty and even higher!

On 1/13/2023 at 7:23 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

And when the camera is returned the user thinks they knew what was wrong all along and believe Leica simply followed their orders to repair it, and potentially another Leica myth is born. If this thread was going down the alley of 'we don't know what we don't know' it would be a plus, instead it's teetering on the edge of mass Dunning Kruger syndrome

https://thedecisionlab.com/biases/dunning-kruger-effect

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 4

Got the camera back today. Funny enough that the loose bayonet is exactly as it was before I sent it in. Even though they mentioned they identified a defect which got repaired and the bayonet tightened. I am more than speechless, clueless, disappointed, you name it…

and whether the problem with the shutter got fixed that is a whole different story. 

I‘d really love just to get rid of the camera tbh. Didn‘t have any joy of using it from day one. Hard to believe this will get better. But let‘s see what they say…

1 hour ago, Jewl said:

Got the camera back today. Funny enough that the loose bayonet is exactly as it was before I sent it in. Even though they mentioned they identified a defect which got repaired and the bayonet tightened. I am more than speechless, clueless, disappointed, you name it…

and whether the problem with the shutter got fixed that is a whole different story. 

I‘d really love just to get rid of the camera tbh. Didn‘t have any joy of using it from day one. Hard to believe this will get better. But let‘s see what they say…

The good news - it took Leica 'only' two weeks to work on your camera.  Here in the US it is 6 weeks.

The bad news - they did a half a$$ job and only fixed the shutter (maybe?), but not the loose lens mount even though they acknowledged it was loose.

Let us know how this plays out and if they actually fix it.

Brand new M6, with issues.  You'd think Leica would be embarrassed to sell a new camera like that and so would make sure it was perfect when they returned it to you.  Instead it now seems very clear why these cameras are shipped with issues.  Those handling them are incompetent/unskilled/do not care.  Your pick.

• Haha 1

I am not surprised. Leica is about selling for big monies. We see Artisans making great lenses, not as good as Leica, but good enough.

My M3 delivered 1967, was lacking the rangefinder. It was fitted in South Africa, when Leitz had a service. How did they sign by 3 different people? 

Over the years, all I know, my Nikons needed repairs, gravity falls, hard usage. My Pentax Spotmatics and later K-models none ever! Nada!

• Like 2

vor 22 Stunden schrieb Huss:

The good news - it took Leica 'only' two weeks to work on your camera.  Here in the US it is 6 weeks.

The bad news - they did a half a$$ job and only fixed the shutter (maybe?), but not the loose lens mount even though they acknowledged it was loose.

Let us know how this plays out and if they actually fix it.

Brand new M6, with issues.  You'd think Leica would be embarrassed to sell a new camera like that and so would make sure it was perfect when they returned it to you.  Instead it now seems very clear why these cameras are shipped with issues.  Those handling them are incompetent/unskilled/do not care.  Your pick.

Yea, very disappointing and annoying. I am also concerned about how fast they react on enquiries. Typically takes 3-5 days to get a first email reply… but yeah, this was rather one of the faster processing times! Nevertheless, would recommend to take the time to fix it with the first attempt instead of the need to send it in again. In total it takes then the same amount of time but double the frustration!

will check a roll before I send it in again. But anyway need to see what they advise to do. Maybe they say we cannot do it any better idk.

Very unsatisfactory. But yes, I think there is an issue in their quality checks whenever they take place. Also gave feedback via their survey monkey satisfaction survey and asked for their feedback/advise overall.

will keep you posted!

Edited by Jewl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jewl said:

Yea, very disappointing and annoying. I am also concerned about how fast they react on enquiries. Typically takes 3-5 days to get a first email reply… but yeah, this was rather one of the faster processing times! Nevertheless, would recommend to take the time to fix it with the first attempt instead of the need to send it in again. In total it takes then the same amount of time but double the frustration!

will check a roll before I send it in again. But anyway need to see what they advise to do. Maybe they say we cannot do it any better idk.

Very unsatisfactory. But yes, I think there is an issue in their quality checks whenever they take place. Also gave feedback via their survey monkey satisfaction survey and asked for their feedback/advise overall.

will keep you posted!

In my experience they answer the phone quite quickly. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jaapv said:

In my experience they answer the phone quite quickly. 

I have never tried to phone them. I have emailed them and they have replied many days later, by which time I had emailed Leica Mayfair and got a quick response.

If you are dealing with a company in another country with a language not your own, then a rapid email response should be a priority not a quick pick-up of the phone.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb LocalHero1953:

I'm sure that is the case. But not everyone in another country will have that confidence to make the phone call.

Haha even as German I haven‘t called them yet. Might be a good idea. Typically I prefer to go via Mail as then everything is well documented…

Edited by Jewl
  • Like 1