M6 2022 - Black Shadows on some photos per roll

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

just received the scans of my first 3 rolls shot with the new M6 released in November. 

I am not sure whether this is normal/should be tolerated but I have out of 2 rolls, ca. 6 photos that have big shadows (2/3 of the picture) - seems the shutter has not properly opened? - The pictures before and after those seem to be properly exposed.

Two examples:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

What do you think? Is this normal when shooting film? (I am quite new, at least to the M6)

Thanks,
Jewl

Gerade eben schrieb Tux4711:

Hi,

Due to the fading edge of the shadow, it looks like something may have been in front of the lens (e.g. piece of clothing like a scarf). Can you safely rule that out?

Yep, on another roll which was mainly shot indoor, looks similar on 2-3 photos! And, I am sure I didn't wear a scarf or anything else that could have been in front of the lens! 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's very strange shutter capping if it is. You need to rule out the obvious things first, so shoot another roll and use a different lab, or process them yourself. But it looks to me like there is something in front of the lens given the gradual fade showing something further away from the shutter plane, shutter capping gives a much harder edge.

• Like 2

I have another roll I will hand in this week for development. 

The camera is anyway at Leica at the moment as the bayonet seems to be a bit loose. Have sent them the pictures as well to check whether the issue might be related...

Thanks for your replies so far!

Edited by Jewl

2 hours ago, Jewl said:

Hi all,

just received the scans of my first 3 rolls shot with the new M6 released in November. 

I am not sure whether this is normal/should be tolerated but I have out of 2 rolls, ca. 6 photos that have big shadows (2/3 of the picture) - seems the shutter has not properly opened? - The pictures before and after those seem to be properly exposed.

Two examples:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

What do you think? Is this normal when shooting film? (I am quite new, at least to the M6)

Thanks,
Jewl

Both of these pictures show a hard band about 1/4 of the way in on the left side.  This is a shutter issue.  Welcome to the new improved 2022 M6!

Ok, you first need to get your negatives back to 100% guarantee it was not a scanning issue.

As for some saying that something is covering the lens - the orientation of the pics is different - one is vertical, one is horizontal.  There is no way that a random lens covering is going to match up with different camera orientations.

Anyway, you will need your negatives back to send to Leica with the camera.

Edited by Huss

Apart from the shadows the pictures all look very underexposed. If you use color negative film you should expose (meter on) the shadows. My old M6 both measure on the low side. Guess they were optimized for slide film. So I always set the ISO a step lower as on the film box indicated.

For the shadows: to me it also looks like there was something in front of the lens.

11 minutes ago, Huss said:

There is no way that a random lens covering is going to match up with different camera orientations.

It does rule out a strap or the front part of a never ready case etc. flapping into view. And there is no hard edge, it’s not even a straight edge, the blueish edge you are apparently alluding to in the black area is a scanner issue. It would be a help if the OP could photograph the full negative.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 250swb said:

It does rule out a strap or the front part of a never ready case etc. flapping into view. And there is no hard edge, it’s not even a straight edge, the blueish edge you are apparently alluding to in the black area is a scanner issue.

He first needs to get his negatives back to rule out the scanning.  That bluish edge could be the edge of a shutter curtain.  But first, we need the negs!

Edited by Huss

Just now, 250swb said:

Look at the images,it isn’t the same shadow, one covers more area than the other.

Agreed.  But you think if there is a shutter issue, the results are going to be exactly the same? It will vary.  And other exposures apparently were fine.  we need to see the negs..

What you can see of both images is they are equally under exposed by a lot, so it is likely they were both made at a similar time and at the same shutter speed and yet the shadow varies. The OP is inexperienced with the M6, and what is the first thing a beginner using a rangefinder camera does, they forget about things flapping in front of the lens because they can’t see it in the viewfinder unlike most other cameras. This is why the camera is blamed before thinking about gloves, fingers, straps, etc. because hey, it wasn’t seen in the viewfinder.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

vor 12 Minuten schrieb 250swb:

What you can see of both images is they are equally under exposed by a lot, so it is likely they were both made at a similar time and at the same shutter speed and yet the shadow varies. The OP is inexperienced with the M6, and what is the first thing a beginner using a rangefinder camera does, they forget about things flapping in front of the lens because they can’t see it in the viewfinder unlike most other cameras. This is why the camera is blamed before thinking about gloves, fingers, straps, etc. because hey, it wasn’t seen in the viewfinder.

At least I am very experienced with rangefinders, coming from an M10P currently using the M11 (3 years digital).

but nevertheless, could be true even if I am quite sure there could not be anything in front of the lens! Will deffo post the negs as soon as they arrive!

For that kind of lens blockage, one would need most of a hand to do that.  Twice.  In different orientations.

I've accidentally had a lens strap appear in a couple of images.  It shows as a strap.  With space around it.  I could not imagine something covering up the lens this much without Jewl noticing.  Especially given the different orientations.  And especially given that Jewl is experienced in using Leica rangefinders.

• Thanks 2