Barnack Challenge #3 - Random Acts of Kindness

bill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As the winner of the last round (Faith) it is my great pleasure to set the theme for the next Barnack Challenge. I have slipped the dates so as not to clash with, or detract from, the One Challenge.So. The theme is "RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS"

Good luck all!

Regards,

Bill

Rules:

The Barnack Challenge runs four times a year.

It is open to all Leica User Forum members.

In order to participate you must shoot a roll of film in line with a predefined theme within a defined seven day period using a Screwmount or early fixed-lens Leica. You may use any lens, regardless of age or manufacturer, as long as it is LTM.

Select your shot that in your view best matches the theme and post it onto a single thread set up for the purpose by the organiser in the Barnack Challenge Sub Forum. Post-processing of your image should be kept to a minimum - nothing that couldn't be done in a wet darkroom fifty years ago. You may post your image any size within forum rules.

The thread will be open for postings but NOT for voting for seven days from a declared date to allow all entries to be posted before voting starts. Your entries are not anonymous; feel free to post camera, lens and film details.

Voting will then be opened. Votes may then be cast on the following basis:

Three points for best, two points for second and one point for third.

Voting runs for two weeks. One vote per member, no voting for your own image.

The winner gets the right to set the theme for the next Barnack Challenge.

__________________________________________________ _______

Theme and Dates:

The theme for the third Barnack Challenge is "Random acts of kindness"

The open period runs from the 5th to the 11th November inclusive.

You must post your images to the thread set up for the purpose by the 26th of November. Voting will then open and run until the 10th December.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder how other keen Barnackers (?) are getting on with this one. I'm finding it very difficult. The earlier theme, 'the decisive moment' was hard enough, but this is worse, as 'random acts of kindness' are a subset of 'decisive moments'. I enjoy being photographically challenged, and have been most of the autumn, with this following hard on the heels of the 'One Challenge'. But this is proving a real headache!

I have to agree with John here - the criteria are becoming more challenging than the picture taking - and I suspect could actually discourage entries - currently I have:

1) Three days in which to take photos that are in Criteria (and I've never even been to Cyprus)

2) Locate a random act of kindness

3) Photograph it

4) Not get beaten up doing it

..bet we'd have got a lot more entries if the title had been 'pussy cats' or 'doggies' :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If I win this one I promise to set an 'easy' theme for the next one!!

Agree, this one is VERY challenging, I'm interpreting the theme rather loosely so that I have something to enter. Having spent a couple of lunch hours this week wandering around with the lllf its hard enough to find 'acts of kindness' let alone random ones!

• 2 weeks later...
Robert - why don't you take a photo of Bill allowing you to use an out of time picture and that could be your random act of kindness - if you see what I mean.

Crumbs! Are we teetering on the brink of the post-modern here?