Love the M11, Why Keep the Q2?

TheEyesHaveIt

First question: do you really need the money?  If not, then keep both because they serve different purposes.

I have a M10R and a 35mm APO is fixed almost permanently to this camera.  Also have the Visoflex for close up work - I find live view critical focus difficult - so I can do most of what the Q2 does with this combo.  But I've kept two Q2s, the Reporter because I like it and the Q2M for black and white.  If I really needed some extra cash, I would probably sell the Reporter, and then afterwards I would almost certainly regret it 😁

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have an M10 and a working M4 and a long list of M lenses - 18mm, 24mm, several 35mm, 40mm, several 50mm, 75mm, 90mm, 135mm - investments made over 60 years. I am going to Japan in a week to catch the end of the Sakura. I will only take my Q2 and my Q2 mono (for low light shots when the Q2 can't keep up). I am 80 and have had cataract surgery in both eyes. As I continue my Leica journey - which began in the early 1970's - I realize that autofocus is my friend.

I am interested to see if the two Q2's will satisfy my equipment needs for tourist photography. Certainly they will be easier to carry than a big bag of photo equipment. In summary, I would keep your Q2 if you can afford to. There will be times when you will want it still.

Given I asked this question originally, thought I'd chime in on my thoughts after some time and my first trip with the M11. I didn't miss the Q2. In fact, I sold it already. I took the M11 + 35 Lux and it was a great combo. I also had the Visoflex with me, but never used it. My next trip I will be taking the 24 + 50 + El-Pro macro adapter. I can't be this flexible with the Q2, but this is precisely why I bought the M11.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TheEyesHaveIt said:

Given I asked this question originally, thought I'd chime in on my thoughts after some time and my first trip with the M11. I didn't miss the Q2. In fact, I sold it already. I took the M11 + 35 Lux and it was a great combo. I also had the Visoflex with me, but never used it. My next trip I will be taking the 24 + 50 + El-Pro macro adapter. I can't be this flexible with the Q2, but this is precisely why I bought the M11.

Congratulations and enjoy, Me personally have never owned a fixed focal length camera in 42 years it somehow never made sense to me 

• Like 1

I have the 28 'lux (among other 28s) and mistakenly sold off my Q a couple of years ago.  I miss it.  If you're looking at this primarily on the basis of focal length, you're missing the bigger point IMO.  The two lenses have completely different set of strengths and flaws, as do the bodies. If you dislike the Q, sure, move on, but if you enjoy the experience and results, keep it.

• Like 2

I wouldn't keep the Q2 unless you need a second body.

But I'm also of the opinion that 28mm is too wide for everyday use - even for most people who think they have a handle on it. Cropping a 28 mm image is not magically an image from a 50mm lens. It can get compositionally similar in some ways but other optical properties are lost, if that matters. Then there's the resolution loss - which again might also not matter. But I wouldn't spend that sort of money on a camera to use in situations where these things didn't matter - that's what an iPhone is for imo. 

If Leica made a Q2 with a 40-50mm lens I'd be all over it. Ricoh did this and I've wavered on it, but it's not full frame and for my work that's important. I used an Rx1RII for awhile which was lovely but just a little too awkward to hold and still a little too wide. 

On 3/27/2023 at 12:48 AM, TheEyesHaveIt said:

You have made your decision so any further comment is probably unnecessary but . . . .

I also sold my Q2 (Reporter variant) because I had M10R (Black Paint variant) and two APO lenses: 50mm and the much sort after 35mm.  I was very lucky to get the 35mm!

But I kept the Q2M because it makes a good combo alongside the M10R.  I haven’t been tempted by the M11 (yet) but might be by the M11M if and when it arrives.

Good luck with your photography 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, T25UFO said:

You have made your decision so any further comment is probably unnecessary but . . . .

I also sold my Q2 (Reporter variant) because I had M10R (Black Paint variant) and two APO lenses: 50mm and the much sort after 35mm.  I was very lucky to get the 35mm!

But I kept the Q2M because it makes a good combo alongside the M10R.  I haven’t been tempted by the M11 (yet) but might be by the M11M if and when it arrives.

Good luck with your photography 🙂

I have thought about getting a Q2M as well just to have the monochrome sensor option, especially since I've found "seeing" in black and white when shooting black and white is really helpful for me.

Q2M is the ultimate weapon for street photography. f/8, 1/500th, auto ISO, DOF set tom minimum distance of 5 feet and you literally never need to focus the camera. 

You can do this on the M11 of course, but its more than double the money and heavier and no autofocus, no macro, much greater minimum focus distance, plus the EVF is an expensive toy - and why buy a rangefinder and then stick an EVF on it? If you like 28mm the Q2 is a great choice and a serious creative tool.

Then again, what kind of work do you do? If you don't like 28mm, then use the M11 and pick another focal length.

Edited by trickness
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had both but after my Q2 was stolen I rather bought a 28mm prime for my M11.

IMO it is a question of shooting style. The Q2 was quite good, but I felt with the M I am more active, I am not just pressing the shutter button and let the AF do its job. It was almost too easy to take images with the Q2. Boring. ;)

Also I like to be able to use not only 28mm but also 50 for example.

Advantages of the Q2 were, IMO, lighter weight, a little faster, ability to focus closer, you could take movie. Still its not a compact.

I also own a Canon g1xIII if I want small and flexible.

For me... I don't miss the Q2 much, I enjoy the use of the M more. And in regards of Summilux - IMO the 28/1.7 is closer to a Summicron than a Summilux. For me Summilux is f1.4.

• Like 1

I purchased a Q2 about a month ago and love it. So much I just purchased the M11. I had a Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Heliar III and purchased the Voigtlander 50mm f2 app-lanthar and 28mm/2 Ultron. I am kicking myself for recently selling the Voigt 10mm and my Leica 90mm/2 Apo Summicron --  two lenses I used on my Sony with adapters. Nonetheless, yesterday I went out with the M11 and Q2 and compared similar shots.   The quick AF and macro are two reasons I may keep the Q2.  Still trying to decide. 

• Like 2