Love the M11, Why Keep the Q2?

TheEyesHaveIt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi folks - I have been loving my M11, even though I have a lot more practice to do to get fully comfortable with the RF system. I bought a Visoflex because sometimes it is just easier for me to focus using that, but I've tried to shoot 95% of the time with the RF or zone focusing.

Before the M11, I was using a Q2 and I really loved it. Except for the fixed lens, it was my favorite camera. Now that I have the M11, I was thinking of selling my Q2, but I still have doubts whether I should. I know it is a different camera - EVF, AF, etc. but I'm wondering if my M11 will completely supplant it.

For those that shoot with an M but also have a Q, what sort of things do you take the Q out for? How often do you use it vs. the M?

I use my M more often than the Q, probably because it is the "New" camera and has more options to consider.  I have to plan my photos more with the M which is a good thing as I will be considering how the different variables will create different results.  Generally I'll plan ahead for focal length, most often a 50mm and pick a position to get the desired perspective.

Now if I'm just out wandering and might want to take a few shots without much thought, I'll use the Q.  The 28mm lens and auto everything will allow me to shoot from the hip without even raising the camera and catch a few quick candid shots that would be gone before I could focus the M.

To me at least, they both have their place in my kit.  If I only had one, I'd be looking for something to consider as a spare.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Stonewall Brigade said:

Do you have a 28mm Summilux lens for your M11?  Priced one? That's what you already have with the Q2.

I don't - I went with the 24 Elmar, 35 Lux, and 50 Lux so far. Fair point that I have a 28 Lux of sorts in the Q2 plus macro mode. But alternatively, could get a 28 Elmarit for the M since my other lenses have the speed (though I think my current spread is nice).

• Like 1

I have an M9, M11, and Q2, and still use the Q2 quite a bit. I would honestly love to just bring one or 2 Ms with me most of the time, however I nearly always have the Q2 with me for two reasons… 1) video, which are mostly just family videos but a phone doesn’t suffice for me and 2) so when my wife asks me to hand her a camera I have one that doesn’t need a few lessons to go along with it. 

The Q2 is also the most versatile of them all thanks to AF, macro, video, etc… It would be hard to imagine taking any other camera if I was forced to pick “just one”. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Q2 is a truly great everyday carry camera.  That is the primary role that my Q2 fills.  It also serves as a backup to my M10M or M-P 240 when I'm traveling.

The Q2 offers advantages that the M11 does not - OIS, weather sealing, f/1.7 maximum aperture in its 28mm lens and macro capability. 

When I get my M11, I will be keeping my Q2  for all the above reasons.

@TheEyesHaveIt If I were in your shoes, I would not be in a hurry to sell/trade my Q2.  If your M11 has to journey to Wetzlar for repair work, your Q2 will be your backup and keep you shooting while your M11 is gone.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stonewall Brigade said:

Do you have a 28mm Summilux lens for your M11?  Priced one? That's what you already have with the Q2.

For me this is key - and why I bought the Q2 after I purchased the M11.  If you shoot with one body, and don't want/use the 28, then you probably don't need the Q2.  However, if you like having more than one body with you, and you like the 28mm focal length, and you would have to replace the 28, then keep what you have. For my shooting, the two are extremely complimentary.  With the Q2 I get 28-50. With the M11 I get 50-120. For longer I use different systems.  If you sold the Q2 and went to purchase a comparable lens, it would cost you more.  Short answer - if you don't need it, sell it. Only you can decide. 

• Like 2

This doesn't quite help the situation but it's an alternative take. Sell the Q2 and get a GR III and do something fun with the savings (or save it). 

The GR III is way more pocketable and that's a massive upside. Yes you lose a certain depth of field but that's something you'll still be able to achieve with the M11 (and alongside potentially the new lens you've purchased with selling the Q2). 

A GR III pairs really well with a digital M/film M and helps you capture moments with ease because it's so easy/fast to use. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, intangiblethings said:

This doesn't quite help the situation but it's an alternative take. Sell the Q2 and get a GR III and do something fun with the savings (or save it). 

The GR III is way more pocketable and that's a massive upside. Yes you lose a certain depth of field but that's something you'll still be able to achieve with the M11 (and alongside potentially the new lens you've purchased with selling the Q2). 

A GR III pairs really well with a digital M/film M and helps you capture moments with ease because it's so easy/fast to use. 

I think this shows a very practical wisdom.  I am on vacation at the moment and was shooting my M11 in and around Innsbruck.  Latest version of the excellent CV 28mm/F2.0 lens attached, shooting "point and shoot" mode at between F5.6 and F8.0.  I've always wanted a Q2 and shot a friend's a few weeks back -- loved the experience -- but as I was shooting the M11 yesterday I felt it would be quite a financial indulgence to buy a Q2 when I essentially had one around my neck already.  And I need to emphasize, perhaps unlike many of you, when I travel I use my M11 just for street shots.  I'm not shooting fine art.  I don't need soft bokeh offered by an F1.7 aperture.  I don't need 60MP.  For studio work or my other photography, I leverage the M11's capabilities more fully.

For me, the M11 is a huge photographic investment.  I'd rather spend my money kitting it out with lenses which compliment a 60MP sensor.  For travel, a smaller camera at <$1000 USD saves me money and accomplishes many of the same goals.  Plus, when Ricoh or Fuji (or Canon ...) come out with an upgraded street shooter, then I can sell my cheaper camera, take maybe a $200-$300 loss and get the latest fixed lens travel camera.  Of course, after reading this someone may wisely point out that a camera phone will likely work as well.  I can't necessarily argue that point but I still prefer to carry a camera for travel or street pics.

Edited by Farkle-Mpls
  • Like 2

I sold mine after I got my M10P as it was just sitting on the shelf (of course, the M got more love as it was new) - bought a 35mm Lux instead.

I often think it would have been great to keep it, just for certain situations where the M is not 100% suitable (where you need to be very fast and where auto focus is helpful if you do not want to zone focus with F8/11 (for the sake of the DOF)...). I don't think of buying another one as I do believe this is just a small portion of my time spent shooting.

Nevertheless, If money does not matter, I would keep it!

I would not buy a 28mm lens for the M, I then would rather go for/stick with the Q again!  

• Like 1

I had a Q2 and then sold it after buying an M10 but just repurchased a Q2 after a couple months because I needed a quick point and shoot style camera. If you need an autofocus camera with the same quality the Q2 is great for that. 

The "downside" of the Q2 for a casual camera is that it is quite large. I am trying out a ricoh GRiii right now as a potential replacement. The GRiii is crop sensor, not weather sealed, and smaller aperture. However it is much smaller so it can be easily packed alongside the M.

I guess it comes down to whether you want a camera that you take in place of your M or do you want a camera that you take with your M.

• Like 1

I have a Q2 and planned to trade it in to help me afford my M11. I decided not to at the last minute, much to the annoyance of my bank account!

I bought the M11 for several reasons, including size. I wanted a camera that was small enough to (just) fit in my coat pocket and if travelling with a small bag, I could remove the lens to aid packing. I have used the Q2 far less since getting the M11, predominately when I want the weatherproofing or macro capabilities. I’m still planning on keeping it, but I do have days when, like you, I wonder if it’s worth it. 

• Like 1

The Q2 was my first step into Leica-land. Phenomenal camera. I loved it so much it convinced me to go all-in and pick up an M11. My hands shook when I handed over my credit card for an M11 and 35 Summilux...but I've never looked back. 

28mm was always too wide for me.  The Q2 crops beautifully, but I simply don't have a need to shoot that wide. With respect to autofocus, the only times I wish I had it are when I'm shooting my M11 in dreadful light, but to be honest, the Q2 autofocus struggled in bad light anyway. And speaking of suboptimal light conditions, the M11 sensor drastically outperforms the Q2 at 6400 ISO, which I found barely passable on the Q2.

I never used my Q2 after I picked up my M11. It's a great camera, but for me, it doesn't do anything I can't do better on the M11.

So I traded my Q2 towards the f1.2 Noctilux reissue.

Edited by Jeremy Bunting
  • Like 3