Japan in April 2023

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will travel to Japan the first two weeks of April this year. We will start in Tokio and want to travel the main route with Himeji, Hiroshima, Kyoto and Osaka on our list so far. Would be nice to meet locals or other photographers from around the globe. On our last years visit to Singapore we met with forum member @Aryel and spent some time with him and his lovely family - so don’t be afraid, we are well behaved 😀

• Thanks 1

Two weeks and five major cities, this is probably too much. I suggest, spend one week in Tokyo including Kamakura and Nikko, then visit Kyoto and Himeji. Hiroshima is certainly a "historical" place, but it is overrated and Osaka is just concrete. Certainly you will come back to see more and other locations. I regret I cannot meet you, I gave up my residence there after 29 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your good advice, Andreas! We are just beginning our planning for this journey, so everything is still adjustable. I still don’t wipe the visit to Hiroshima from the list - with growing tensions world wide and the increased threats of the use of nuclear weapons once more I want to give my sons a little history lesson that should have a deep impact.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

I will travel to Japan the first two weeks of April this year. We will start in Tokio and want to travel the main route with Himeji, Hiroshima, Kyoto and Osaka on our list so far.

14 days only? will barely scratch the surface!!  ;)

also because certain interesting places are "spaced" out and within a big city a lot of time goes in commuting.

depends on how much you really wanna see, or if its a 1st "reconnaissance" style trip with more planned in the future

14 days is not enough to explore Tokyo!!

plenty of places to buy film and get it developed fast, which cameras are you taking?

have a good trip.

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, AndreasG said:

Two weeks and five major cities, this is probably too much. I suggest, spend one week in Tokyo including Kamakura and Nikko, then visit Kyoto and Himeji. Hiroshima is certainly a "historical" place, but it is overrated and Osaka is just concrete. Certainly you will come back to see more and other locations. I regret I cannot meet you, I gave up my residence there after 29 years.

Totally agree regarding Osaka - don’t bother if you only have two weeks and it’s your first trip (or at all IMHO). Tokyo and Kyoto (which I vastly prefer) clearly a must. Having traveled to Japan for four family trips, I strongly suggest not less than four days in any major city, with day trips to places like Nikko and Himeji. A two week Japan rail pass will be worthwhile if you are moving around on Shinkansen regularly, although you may get away with a one week pass starting a four or five days in, after exploring Tokyo and surrounds. 
I would also add Hakone (to see Mt Fuji) and Megome (access to Kiso valley walk). 

Two weeks is just enough for a taste. You will go back.  

Edited by Mute-on

I am aware that there is ever much more to see and much more time needed - but hey - that’s the problem with every trip. Life is full of compromises and so will be our little visit. I have been to Tokyo 25 years ago and only had four days, but dearly remember this visit as one of the most rewarding times in a foreign city. Knowing the pace my family and me are capable of with around 20km on foot on average when visiting big cities, I am confident in getting a good first glance at some interesting places.

Camera and film wise I am not settled yet. Either I will go the compact camera route with Leica Minilux and/or Ricoh GR1s and mainly monochrome emulsions or my M4-P with slide film and monochrome. Does anyone know if it is cheaper to buy film in Tokyo than in Europe?
My Panasonic Lumix S5 will accompany me for sure. I still don’t know if I should get longer focal lense or zoom in addition to the 20-60 and the 85/1.8.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Camera and film wise I am not settled yet. Either I will go the compact camera route with Leica Minilux and/or Ricoh GR1s and mainly monochrome emulsions or my M4-P with slide film and monochrome. Does anyone know if it is cheaper to buy film in Tokyo than in Europe?
My Panasonic Lumix S5 will accompany me for sure. I still don’t know if I should get longer focal lense or zoom in addition to the 20-60 and the 85/1.8.

simply pre-plan a bit regarding the trains and locations, it it will be way easier.

yes cheaper than europe , at least for fuji films, and fast n easy to get it developed at kitamura or elsewhere, in a few hours while having 2 coffees and a cake.

do check out the revised rules and regulations regarding taking pics in the Gion area of Kyoto near the leica store

• Like 1

Have a great time in Japan. I go to Osaka fairly often and whilst it is nice, I agree with previous posts and would tend to go directly to Kyoto if I was visiting. 

One thing to note if you are going to shoot film: I was there end of November beginning of December and rolls were on limited supply. Most shops wouldn’t allow me to buy more than one or two rolls. I never had an issue to get hand inspection at the airports though.

Have a great time in Japan 😊

• Thanks 1

Yodobashi Cameras in Shinjuku, Tokyo, close to the main Shinjuku West train station, is worth visiting. The cameras are tethered and you can just pick up and try any one you like. Despite the bustle, this area is very close to the Meiji Jingu shrine, amid the tranquil green oasis of Yoyogi Park.

Agree that Kyoto is fascinating. See the Nishi Hongwanji temple complex. You may also like to try an onsen (thermal pool) and stay in a ryokan (inn) or kominka (farmhouse). Food is excellent everywhere.

Although the trains are brilliant, I would recommend taking a tour, even if only a day or so, to discover hidden treasures. I was lucky and went on a media visit.

You will arrive before Golden Week (May 3-5) when the blossoms are out and it will get crowded, but can expect some cool weather.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NZDavid said:

Yodobashi Cameras in Shinjuku, Tokyo, close to the main Shinjuku West train station, is worth visiting.

while the big camera / electronics stores are nice..the "real" cool stuff to drive one crazy and bankrupt is not at those stores, but at smaller boutique shops, like sankyo, katsumido, lemon etc etc etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

vor 4 Stunden schrieb frame-it:

but at smaller boutique shops, like sankyo, katsumido, lemon etc etc etc

I also recommend Lemon Camera, especially their store near Sugibayashi Crossing in the Ginza Area, though its entrance is a little bit hidden. Akihabara branch is also not bad.

• Thanks 1

though i seriously doubt James is going to japan to shop for cameras, but its amazing to see those shops even if you're not buying anything, but would recommend leaving the credit cards in the hotel safe ;) as the choices of lenses especially vintage ones is quite extensive

Edited by frame-it
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

Take them to the Omote Sando / Harajuku area, it helps to drain your account fast...

or will help preserve the account balance once they see the omote-sando prices!

another beautiful area is daikanyama in shibuya, loads of small shops, amazing cafes etc etc...also Ebisu, in Shibuya is very nice

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

this is a cool train service, saves a lot of time too and you can get some nice shots from inside the train as well!

https://www.jrailpass.com/blog/fuji-excursion-train

Edited by frame-it
  • Thanks 1