Fotos disconnects after only downloading a few JPGs

Henners

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When downloading, after a while the app disconnects from the camera and I have to reconnect and re-select the photos and start downloading again. Having to do this many times for one day of shooting is very annoying and means I end up not using the app and compromising on my workflow. Is this a known issue and is there a way to stop it disconnecting after downloading around 7 full res JPEG files?

M11 (latest firmware) + Fotos app (latest build) + 5Ghz connection to Google Pixel 7 with Android 13. 

Edited by Henners

• Henners changed the title to Fotos disconnects after only downloading a few JPGs
  • 3 weeks later...

Yup, having the same issues with m11 with same versions of fotos and firmware as you. 

Camera connects over usb c. Start looking at a photo or try to download and it ends up disconnecting.  Have tried different usb cables. Have tried different iPads and a pixel 7 and problem is still happening. 

Some review on Apple App Store told to format the SD card in the camera to resolve. That hasn’t worked either. 

I contacted Leica and sent over my log files (all done within the Fotos app), they've taken a look and have said a new version which fixes this will be out in the next few days.

"The connection problem with Android 13 and Google Pixel smartphones is known to our developers and has been fixed and is currently being tested.
There will be a FOTOS update 3.3.2 for this, but i can't give you the exact release date, it should be available in a few days, please be patient."

I followed their instructions they originally sent over and it does now seem to work (after fighting with getting the M11 reconnected to the phone):

Please use your file browser to check if your Leica Fotos folder has any non-Leica pictures in it. If it does, please move them into a different folder. (I deleted all photos from these folders).

Please make sure the memory card was formatted in the camera you are using and not in a different camera or a computer.

If "Delete" is available and white (and not greyed out) in your Leica FOTOS menu on your camera, please delete your phone (all entries, if there is more than one) from the camera menu.

Please delete your camera in Leica FOTOS and then restart your smartphone (important)

Then pair the devices again via the Leica FOTOS App.

You may also try uninstalling the app, and after a restart of the phone, installing it again.

If this does not resolve the issue, please follow these steps:

Please check the settings for the FOTOS app in your smartphone to see whether the required permissions have been granted. Also, for this test, deactivate settings such as mobile data or VPN.

A full SD-card can cause delays or even a time-out in the connection process.
Please test the connection procedure with an SD card with only a few pictures on it, or even without a card.

Also note some Leica cameras are using ".rwl" as the raw image file format, which is not supported by third party apps on the mobile platforms iOS and Android.

If the connection problems persist, please send us a message via Leica FOTOS (Gear Icon) / Contact Customer Support directly after the error has occurred, so the log files will be sent to us.

Edited by Henners

• 1 month later...

When I started with Leica I noticed my photos app began disconnecting every time.  It started after a few months of shooting. It would have a hard time connecting and then when it did I would scroll through a few photos and it would just disconnect. 

I noticed it would also happen when I put the sd card in an external card reader and connected it to the iPad. 

This was around the time I had my only 2 freezes I’ve ever had with my M10R. 

Trying to prevent it from freezing I read that I should run the SD card through SD Card Formatter so I did that. 

The app has never disconnected since I started formatting my sd card through the formatter app. And it has never disconnected from the card reader either. And I’ve never had to turn my camera on and off due to a freeze. 

Edited by Leitz.