Leica FOTOS app as a Remote

maxpower

Advertisement (gone after registration)

(I'm not sure if there was a better place for this question, but as I use the M11 I thought I'd put it here.)

Today I was playing a bit more with the FOTOS app (for iPhone) and using it as a remote, and I was wondering if there is a way to enable/control the focus aid ("zoomed live view")? If I turn it on on the body I see the enlarged view in the app, but it would be more useful if I could enable it in the app and maybe move the enlarged area around in the app as well. It feels like something that should be supported but I can't figure out how to do it, and Google was no help – so maybe it's not a feature the app has. But I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows if the app should be able to do this and how it works? 

Seems to me that modifying the control aid is not possible on the App. but on the M11, if you choose "Automatic" in Focus aid in the menu Capture Assistants , when focusing with the lens the magnification ratio that you have chosen  will be effective and visible on the App. It works for me.

Yeah that is correct but also what I already said, I just hoped for a little more control in the remote app. Thanks though, guess I can finally click the feature request button in the app and submit that. 

The whole idea of the remote was that I'm not standing within easy reach of my camera/lens, otherwise I wouldn't need the remote at all.

1 hour ago, maxpower said:

The whole idea of the remote was that I'm not standing within easy reach of my camera/lens, otherwise I wouldn't need the remote at all.

And how would you then turn the focus ring when you are not within reach of your camera... 🙃

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Stef63 said:

And how would you then turn the focus ring when you are not within reach of your camera... 🙃

Well, I guess I can vainly admit I was trying to take a portrait of myself so I would approximate the focus where I wanted it from camera and then wanted to finetune by simply moving myself forward or backwards by looking at the remote view until the focus was where I wanted it. Crazy right? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/28/2022 at 7:54 PM, maxpower said:

Well, I guess I can vainly admit I was trying to take a portrait of myself so I would approximate the focus where I wanted it from camera and then wanted to finetune by simply moving myself forward or backwards by looking at the remote view until the focus was where I wanted it. Crazy right? 

No you are not crazy. 
the only thing that helps us to submit the requests to Leica. 
the more emails they get, the better. 
this app is a gimmick. 
good for a firmware update. 

other things are cumbersome to do with it. 

maybe we should collect what we would like the app to do. 

1. i want a fast excess 

2. that App an camera (q2) can be operated if the app is ope 

3. Speedy connection (max6sec.) 

4. preview longtime exposures 

5. edit and change settings of the camera (storing) 

6. Extend the Timelapse possibilities with the app. (Bramping) 

7. motion detect > shots if something moves into camera view. 

And if you need some ideas > this is the userguide for magic lantern as software that can be installed on canon cameras to improve their capabilities. 

https://magiclantern.fandom.com/wiki/Unified/UserGuide

I want the app to be the geeky part. 
keep the camera clean ok. 
But the app could have some fun things for special use, not ? 

ok hope the discussion keeps running and looking forward to the features that you would like to have. 

And for the people that don’t use the app >
yes we all know how cool it is to use only one time - one lens - one stop 

but keep in mind this once was a test device for testing 35 mm film. So from there it involved to the thing you are holding in your hands today. And it took many iterations to do so. 

15 years since the first smartphone so apps are still teenagers that don’t know what to do with all their power …. 

cheers Peter 

Just now, Pelu2010 said:

No you are not crazy. 
this app is a gimmick. 

1. i want a fast excess 

And if you need some ideas > this is the userguide for magic lantern as software that can be installed on canon cameras to improve their capabilities. 

ok hope the discussion keeps running and looking forward to the features that you would like to have. 

but keep in mind this once was a test device for testing 35 mm film. So from there it involved to the thing you are holding in your hands today. And it took many iterations to do so. 

15 years since the first smartphone so apps are still teenagers that don’t know what to do with all their power …. 

cheers Peter 

Raw images of the morning 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 12/30/2022 at 10:07 AM, Pelu2010 said:

No you are not crazy. 
this app is a gimmick. 

1. i want a fast excess 

cheers Peter 

+1 vote from me for your option 6! I find the menu system, and especially setting up profiles, prtty cumbersome. Would be ideal If I could do that in the app. (And Ideally also edit exsiting profiles.)

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 10:07 AM, Pelu2010 said:

Ok, I’m with you on that.  Would indeed be nice.

But that is not the strategy Leica seems to follow today.  The features in the app are a subset of the camera features.  And if they add a new camera feature in a new firmware release in almost all cases it’s not added in the new app version.

A personal note : It seems to me the SL platform is better fitted for opening up ‘geekyy’ stuff through the app.  It is a much more modern camera platform with AF, IBIS, film mode etc than the M platform.  You mentioned magic lantern for Canon.  I see the benefits of this kind of special ‘things’ that are in many cases focussed on film, not in still captures, be valuable on an SL, maybe not so on an M.

Edited by Stef63

11 hours ago, Stef63 said:

Ok, I’m with you on that.  Would indeed be nice.

But that is not the strategy Leica seems to follow today.  The features in the app are a subset of the camera features.  And if they add a new camera feature in a new firmware release in almost all cases it’s not added in the new app version.

A personal note : It seems to me the SL platform is better fitted for opening up ‘geekyy’ stuff through the app.  It is a much more modern camera platform with AF, IBIS, film mode etc than the M platform.  You mentioned magic lantern for Canon.  I see the benefits of this kind of special ‘things’ that are in many cases focussed on film, not in still captures, be valuable on an SL, maybe not so on an M.

Hi stef63,

we can ask for things. I we don’t ask there will be only done what Leica thinks we need or should need. If we ask for a more capable app, then maybe it will happen. 
And I hope more people post ideas. 
The things I propose are part of the journey I am making with these cameras. 
and although I am happy I can dream of things that make the camera better (for me) end does not change the experience for others. 
hope many people join. 
peter 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!