A bored couple

carl_valiquet

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sitting next to my table

No talking

No exchange

After a while I was getting bored of this tableau.

I moved to a table far way.

M10M 35 Summilux Asph.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

My wife and I had Saturday lunch a couple of years ago in what was called Cicconi restaurant in Mayfair. With the exception of our table, every table we could see with two people on was populated by people on their 'phones; only appearing to speak when ordering their food. It was very depressing to a point I have not gone back since. It was a regular favourite of mine, at least monthly due to the food and the buzz of interaction and conversation. What was more sad was the other tables were all younger people with apparently no art of conversation. 

Edited by Marc B-C
  • Like 1

Visit the restaurant again and show the other guests, that one can communicate with his opposite. Or did you have an appropriate lunch? Fast food perhaps?

Some time ago my wife and I visited a restaurant in our village and ordered shoulder from a pig (Schäufele). Delicious here in Franconia. Another table was occupied with gentlemen from Cologne or thereabout. They ordered the same dish and complained loudly about the fat, ordered mustard, insisted on a free schnapps, etc. 

Edited by jankap
  • Like 1

Well caught.  This is practically epidemic.  the first time I really noticed it was in 2009 at an exceptionally romantic dining spot in Dubrovnik, where the couple only focused on their cell phones.  Now you see cell phones left next to restaurant patrons on the table, when they are not using them, ready for their addictions to kick in.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marc B-C said:

My wife and I had Saturday lunch a couple of years ago in what was called Cicconi restaurant in Mayfair. With the exception of our table, every table we could see with two people on was populated by people on their 'phones; only appearing to speak when ordering their food. It was very depressing to a point I have not gone back since. It was a regular favourite of mine, at least monthly due to the food and the buzz of interaction and conversation. What was more sad was the other tables were all younger people with apparently no art of conversation. 

And in some restaurants, you scan the code that is on a card on the table and send your order directly to the kitchen. For now, live waiters or waitresses will bring your order. But one day, robots will have replaced them. Oh and when the food is in front of you, don't touch it! Take a photo first so you can spend the rest of the meal posting the photograph with the description. I agree with you Marc B-C, we are losing the art of conversation. Regards. Carl.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stuny said:

Well caught.  This is practically epidemic.  the first time I really noticed it was in 2009 at an exceptionally romantic dining spot in Dubrovnik, where the couple only focused on their cell phones.  Now you see cell phones left next to restaurant patrons on the table, when they are not using them, ready for their addictions to kick in.

And the phones are getting more intelligent than the humans. Google has all the answers, why use ones brain to come up with an answer.

• Thanks 1

A few weeks ago I was having espresso at my favorite little shop. A young couple came in, ordered their drinks, then sat at a table near me. As soon as they sat down they each picked up their phones and didn't talk to each other the whole time they were there. These things have really disrupted people's ability to communicate face to face. 

Every Thursday morning I meet with a few friends for breakfast. We have a hard rule: no phones at the table. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fotografr said:

A few weeks ago I was having espresso at my favorite little shop. A young couple came in, ordered their drinks, then sat at a table near me. As soon as they sat down they each picked up their phones and didn't talk to each other the whole time they were there. These things have really disrupted people's ability to communicate face to face. 

Every Thursday morning I meet with a few friends for breakfast. We have a hard rule: no phones at the table. 

We have a hard rule: no phones at the table. 

Great rule. Yes this things have disrupted our humanity. Carl.

18 hours ago, fotografr said:

A friend of mine has a similar rule, however, the 'phones are allowed at the restaurant table: in the middle and face down. If anyone picks up their phone to either look at or answer it, they pay the bill for all.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Marc B-C said:

A friend of mine has a similar rule, however, the 'phones are allowed at the restaurant table: in the middle and face down. If anyone picks up their phone to either look at or answer it, they pay the bill for all.

I like that rule. I'd even extend it to picking up the phone for any reason--Googling, looking at a text or email. I'm going to propose that next week. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, fotografr said:

I like that rule. I'd even extend it to picking up the phone for any reason--Googling, looking at a text or email. I'm going to propose that next week. 

I always thought the rule of being allowed to shoot with IPhone but not with a camera very stupid! Today, it is possible to make a shot with a cellular as good, if not better, than with camera.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Louis said:

I always thought the rule of being allowed to shoot with IPhone but not with a camera very stupid! Today, it is possible to make a shot with a cellular as good, if not better, than with camera.

I think you might be referring to things like music venues, in which case I completely agree with you. I've gone to concerts where no cameras were allowed, but when the band starts playing phones come out all through the audience and nobody says a thing.

What we're talking about here is not using phones when in social situations like having a meal with friends. That's a bit different.

Edited by fotografr

There is the most brilliant film called "A kind of Loving" it stars Alan Bates and is an "angry young man film" as the genre was known. It is the most beautifully film and most observant of real human life. In it there is the a brilliant scene when Vic (Alan Bates) is in a cafe with his girlfriend and as she is talking away about nothin that interests him the camera focuses upon an elderly couple on the next table. They have been married for so long that they have nothing to say to each other. Vic observes this and it is a beautiful moment and he re-assesses his life and wonders of this is his fate too. 

This photo is slightly evocative of this moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2022 at 12:04 AM, Louis said:

stupid

On 12/30/2022 at 12:04 AM, Louis said:

Last week, at the Musikverein in Vienna I took a photo before the concert with an SL2. The usher, a very pleasant young lady, asked me politely not to use the camera. No problem, I replied, but what about all the people taking photos with their iPhones?  I know, she replied, but we can’t control it, so we just turn a blind eye. 

On 12/30/2022 at 6:04 AM, Louis said:

I think having to propose such rules of no phones on the table or other rules show us how far we have gone away  from communicating with our eyes and words. Too bad that we have to come to making these rules. C'est la nouvelle vie or as they say in Indonesia: This is the New Normal

On 1/1/2023 at 9:23 AM, Paul Reading said:

There is the most brilliant film called "A kind of Loving" it stars Alan Bates and is an "angry young man film" as the genre was known. It is the most beautifully film and most observant of real human life. In it there is the a brilliant scene when Vic (Alan Bates) is in a cafe with his girlfriend and as she is talking away about nothin that interests him the camera focuses upon an elderly couple on the next table. They have been married for so long that they have nothing to say to each other. Vic observes this and it is a beautiful moment and he re-assesses his life and wonders of this is his fate too. 

This photo is slightly evocative of this moment.

Paul, there is a certain poetry in your comment. Thank you for this. I do think that we are losing touch with humanity. I am glad to read that this image evoked this special moment in the film. Myself, sitting next to this bored and distant couple encouraged me to do the opposite. To re-assess .....Regards. Carl