Before & After - Show us your edits

evikne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, jaapv said:

I don't want to disappoint you, but I think the image with the vent is the better one with more compositional impact. (pretty good, actually) If you do the same editing on the girl and light you have the best of two worlds.

ha! no disappointment to be had.

i left it in initially (because i shoot 35mm portraits for context), but it didnt work to my eyes as only the bottom right hand corner of the vent was visible. when i was looking at that image it just looked out of place. the vent would work if more of it could have been included 🤓

• 3 weeks later...

Salvaging 1950-ies a print...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

Salvaging 1950-ies a print...

The new image is much sharper and more detailed. But have you used some kind of AI processing? Several places seem a bit unnatural, e.g. the boy's eyes, and the man's cheek and hands.

• 2 weeks later...

M11 grab shot of dogs...

• Like 4

This is actually a picture I considered lost. I took a quick snapshot and missed the focus. Shooting directly against the sun with such an old lens also means problems; the hair was ruined by the flare.

Before:

Nevertheless, I decided to make an attempt to save the image. Here are some highlights from the LR History palette:

1) Import. 2) WB, cropping away the upper part of the image. 3) Dehaze in the hair. 4) Brightening, sharpening and clarity in the face. 5) Adding profile RNI Kodak Portra 400. 6) Warmer color temperature in the lower left corner.

I didn't try to remove the flare stroke above the head as I thought it was pretty cool.

After:

M10 with 50mm Summilux pre-ASPH (E46)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, elmars said:

I cannot see the „After“ photo. 

I was editing the post (replacing the After photo) one minute before the one hour editing limit and got an error message when saving. I can see the image in my browser, but maybe that is only the cache. I'll ask a moderator to look at it.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 6:51 PM, evikne said:

This is one of my "most edited pictures" and one of the few times I've actually visited a place with a picture in mind. The time of day (the blue hour) was also planned. Otherwise, most of my photos are spontaneous and unplanned.

We visited a graveyard to make this halloween picture. It was very cold, so my daughter wore woolen clothes under the suit. I took two pictures in a hurry, and then we ran back to the car (RF focusing in the dark wasn't very easy). I exposed for the little lamp in her hand (manual mode as always), but the faint light had almost no effect on her face. So I had to brush in a mask where I lifted the exposure (+1,40) in her face (more to her right side than the left). I also changed the color temperature (+15) on this mask to match the warm light from the lamp. I think the result was pretty natural, almost as if the light came from the little lamp.

Finally, I cropped the image and adjusted the WB according to an ExpoDisc reference shot.

Before:

After:

M10 with 35 FLE, f/1.4, ISO 1600, 1/60 sec.

Cool. And tnx for the detailed explanation what you did.

I think though I would have preferred if you'd kept the original "blue hour" sky and tones...

On 4/16/2023 at 1:38 PM, benqui said:

Really a very good thread! I use the Q2 for many portrait shootings. At the beginning I did not believe that it is also a camera for portraits, but the more I use it, the more I believe that it is a useful tool for portraits. In this case I wanted to create a photo with the light just on Pauline‘s face. And she felt very comfortable with the small Q2. To achieve my goal, I had to crop a lot, but it worked perfectly.

Version out of the cam:

Cropped and converted into b/w

Great image - thank you!

And yes, I share your feeling about Q - I use it regularly for portraits, too both by using it's built in crop-mode and by cropping in pp if needed...

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, profus said:

Cool. And tnx for the detailed explanation what you did.

I think though I would have preferred if you'd kept the original "blue hour" sky and tones...

Thanks! I have thought the same thing myself. I just used the WB from a picture with an ExpoDisc. I prefer these colors in the foreground, but the sky would probably have been better with the original colors.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RayD28 said:

@evikne  Thanks for starting this thread.  I'm learning a lot.  

Thanks a lot! Just want to say that the photos in this thread are often ones that were not quite successful, but which I still try to save. The best photos are usually the ones where everything falls into place right away and requires very little editing.

@evikne i like the end product. very earthy colour palette 

at the end of the day, you were there, you shot the image and you should edit it as you see fit. i like seeing the different approaches people take and thinking about my own approach and whether i can learn something from the others.

thank you for sharing 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

In Scotland, the Jacobite or the Harry Potter steam train.
We were staying halfway and the train was due to drive through the local station somewhere around 7.15 pm. Of course it rained and it was getting pretty dark while we were waiting "for ever". With ISO 6400 I could get the picture at 1/250 s F 2.8 with my Summicron 50mm.
I knew beforehand I wanted a dramatic atmosphere but could not have guessed the machine driver would be greeting my daughter as a ghost leaning out of his cabin. I remember using Silver Efex to create the atmosphere I thought would fit best.

• Like 3

Leica Q-P. Edition in Lightroom classic. Crop, preset, work with light masks

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, lofercan said:

Leica Q-P. Edition in Lightroom classic. Crop, preset, work with light masks

It looks like you've also put a lot of effort into removing the person on the right of the image, rather than just cropping a little more. 😄