Looking for a 50mm with similar rendering than a 35mm Summilux Pre-Asph V2

skueh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bit of glow indeed but color fringing is too strong at f/1.5. Nokton 50/1.5 SC v2 on M11 again.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nothing will compare exactly with the look of the 35 Lux pre-asph v2. IMO, you’d be better off trying to find a 50mm with a different look that complimented the 35 rather than trying to imitate it. It’s also a not so crazy idea to use cropping on a high res camera with the 35 to reach 50.

14 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Nothing will compare exactly with the look of the 35 Lux pre-asph v2. IMO, you’d be better off trying to find a 50mm with a different look that complimented the 35 rather than trying to imitate it.

Been there done that i don't count my 50mm lenses anymore. I just miss one giving similar glow effects as my Summilux 35/1.4 v2 or Nokton 35/1.4 SC v2. The closer i found so far is the Nokton 50/1.5 SC v2 with the ugly color fringing above. Interesting lens otherwise so i think i will keep it to explore it further.

36 minutes ago, lct said:

Been there done that i don't count my 50mm lenses anymore. I just miss one giving similar glow effects as my Summilux 35/1.4 v2 or Nokton 35/1.4 SC v2. The closer i found so far is the Nokton 50/1.5 SC v2 with the ugly color fringing above. Interesting lens otherwise so i think i will keep it to explore it further.

Try 50mm Summicron v3 - very nice rendering and still a bit of glow (zoomed in at least) and lower contrast.

1 minute ago, mcpallesen said:

Try 50mm Summicron v3 - very nice rendering and still a bit of glow (zoomed in at least) and lower contrast.

Was my first Leica lens in the seventies but i did not keep it unfortunately. Would you have any pic showing such glow by chance? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

32 minutes ago, lct said:

Was my first Leica lens in the seventies but i did not keep it unfortunately. Would you have any pic showing such glow by chance? 

Just looked, not really. Maybe I’m wrong. More just lower contrast and still very sharp.

1 hour ago, lct said:

Slightly mis-focusing the 50 Lux ASPH or 50 Cron v5 on a contrasty subject in bright light gives a nice glow 🤫 I wonder if DAG could "de-tune" a 50 Lux ASPH to be more characterful wide open 😁

On 12/25/2022 at 5:57 PM, skueh said:

Thank you all for the valuable inputs and suggestions.

After doing some more readings and study, I think I will give the 50 Lux V2 and even the V1 a try out.

I also read an in depth reviews on the Voigtlander 5/1.5 Heliar classic VM on other forum. It is interested that two posters stated the Nikkor s.c. 5Cm 1.4 LTM renders similar to this lens.

For comparision purpose, the following two sets of images are taken with my M10-R with Leica 35 lux pre-asph V2 and a Nikkor s.c. 5Cm 1.4 LTM wide open. I use a B+W UVa filter on each lens. The modern multi-costed filter did a great job to improve the contrast of this war time Nippon Kogaku Tokyo product.

First image: 35mm Lux; second image: 5cm 1.4 on each set.

War time Nikkor? Which war? Certainly not WWII. In Leica context, war time refers to WWII. I think your war time reference meant the Korean conflict.

The Nikkor LTM lenses became popular in the Korean conflict when David Douglas Duncan started using them. He got superb back-up and service from Nippon Kogaku as Japan was close to Korea and a lot of photographers, journalists and GI's spent a lot of time on R&R in Japan. It was also fairly easy to get needed service and replacements to the working pros in Korea. This catering to professional photographers really paid off for the Nikon and Canon. Vietnam was a similar deal. This service continues to the present day.

Leica never could get their act together for the Pro market, and this hurt them in the long run.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, derleicaman said:

War time Nikkor? Which war? Certainly not WWII. In Leica context, war time refers to WWII. I think your war time reference meant the Korean conflict.

The Nikkor LTM lenses became popular in the Korean conflict when David Douglas Duncan started using them. He got superb back-up and service from Nippon Kogaku as Japan was close to Korea and a lot of photographers, journalists and GI's spent a lot of time on R&R in Japan. It was also fairly easy to get needed service and replacements to the working pros in Korea. This catering to professional photographers really paid off for the Nikon and Canon. Vietnam was a similar deal. This service continues to the present day.

Leica never could get their act together for the Pro market, and this hurt them in the long run.

Thank for the correction on the term "War time" . I should be more precise on this historical term.

Here is my little reading that I conformed the time line is correct: as stated above: The year when Nikon started to used "Tokyo" according to https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/RF-Nikkor/RF-Accessories/lens_hood_caps/index.htm: “No one can provide assuring timing when did Nikon shifted the early "NIKKOR" engraved design to "Nippon Kogaku Tokyo" but a rough guess these should be happened around the timing between 1950-1952. “ 

The Korean War started at June 25, 1950 and ended at July 27, 1953 per Wiki. Therefore, for record purpose, the “ war time” mentioned on my previous post should refer to the “Korean War time”.

Apology for the little side track 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

After spent about 3 weeks went through the 200 pages thread “ Fifty fifty: Please share some 50 mm picture !” on his forum, looking for the typical glow produces by the 35 Lux pre-asph at f1.4, it looks to me the Nikkor s.c. 5Cm 1.4 ltm renders glow (or flare) wide open is very similar to that of 35 lux pre-asph.

Following examples are taken with M10-R, first 35 lux pre-asph, second Nikkor 5cm 1.4:

• Like 1