Looking for a 50mm with similar rendering than a 35mm Summilux Pre-Asph V2

skueh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, lct said:

Did you find significant glow on anything but out of focus subjects? Just curious as it is something i can't seem to get with any of my 50mm lenses so far. Just to show what i mean (CV 35/1.4 SC v2 on digital CL):

You're correct, I have to say! Two shots on the SL2-S taken a minute apart at most, wide open, at minimum focus distance, ISO 100, shutter speed 1/250 for the 50mm, 1/320 for the 35mm. Focus point was the curled leaf centre left; hand-held, so I could probably have done better. Identical crops (i.e. same number of pixels in each). There is not much glow from the 50mm compared to the 35mm.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fred Miranda said:

I think the lens that comes close is the Voigtlander 50/1.5 Heliar Classic. It shows similar glow wide open but not at close distance and especially at MFD where it's surprisingly better corrected for SA. At mid-distance, it behaves like the 35/1.4 pre-asph but with a narrow field of view. For those who prefer 50mm and want that look, it's a great choice imo.

Here is a sample:

I’ve said it before on here, the Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 Heliar Classic is one of the most interesting current production lenses in M mount.  It’s especially good for environmental portrait work where you can utilise it’s character with out of focus background tones and textures.

• Like 4

vor 12 Stunden schrieb shirubadanieru:

I have the 50 summilux as my only 50mm lens now and I have to say that it definitely glows less than the 35 summilux wide open, but it still does glow (just a tiny bit) and it looks great especially on B&W. I would also say that from f2.8 they are both quite sharp, yet delicate, with the 50mm being slightly sharper to my eyes or with more pop (but that's probably more to due with the actual focal length difference than anything else). 

I find them to be great matches, and that's why my only two lenses now are the 50 summilux v2 (crhome) and the steel rim reissue (waiting for its arrival still hehe). 

I used the 50 Summilux 50 v2 and the 35 v2 for many years side by side...hmm, I do not agree, they look different, in color and in B&W. Especially your SR reissue will probably not match the Summilux 50 v2 (different coating, the SR looks more modern to me in comparison to V2 35 Summilux). My Summilux 50 v2 did not show that glow.

As stated here, Voigtlander 50/1.5 Heliar Classic match the Summilux 35 v2 very very good, especially in B&W film. If it would be a Leica lens, I guess more Leica Users would buy it for that reason😉. Only thing that bothers me is 0.58 MFD on my M3

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shinobi2012 said:

I used the 50 Summilux 50 v2 and the 35 v2 for many years side by side...hmm, I do not agree, they look different, in color and in B&W. Especially your SR reissue will probably not match the Summilux 50 v2 (different coating, the SR looks more modern to me in comparison to V2 35 Summilux). My Summilux 50 v2 did not show that glow.

As stated here, Voigtlander 50/1.5 Heliar Classic match the Summilux 35 v2 very very good, especially in B&W film. If it would be a Leica lens, I guess more Leica Users would buy it for that reason😉. Only thing that bothers me is 0.58 MFD on my M3

I don’t have the SR remake yet, but had the original SR and the 35 v2 Canada & titanium. I felt any version of the 35 pre-asph lux (& also the 8e cron) go amazingly well with the rigid cron 50 & lux 50 v2 : ) I mostly prefer all these lens in black and white, but also love them all in color, giving me more pastel colors with low contrast. The 50 lux is by far the most resistant to flare, to me that’s the biggest difference actually among all these lens. But they are my favorite..I tried the Heliar 50/1.5 and it does indeed glow a lot wide open making it closer to the 35 lux in terms of glow, but in the end I didn’t keep it as I try to have as little gear as possible. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fred Miranda said:

I think the lens that comes close is the Voigtlander 50/1.5 Heliar Classic. It shows similar glow wide open but not at close distance and especially at MFD where it's surprisingly better corrected for SA. At mid-distance, it behaves like the 35/1.4 pre-asph but with a narrow field of view. For those who prefer 50mm and want that look, it's a great choice imo.

Here is a sample:

So far three members have recommented the Voigtlander 50/1.5 Heliar Classic. My main concern is how does this lens compared to the 35 lux v2 when stepping from F2.8 to f5.6. We all know that the 35 lux V2 is 2-lenses in one. Can the 50/1.5 Helier Classic perform the same way?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

38 minutes ago, skueh said:

So far three members have recommented the Voigtlander 50/1.5 Heliar Classic. My main concern is how does this lens compared to the 35 lux v2 when stepping from F2.8 to f5.6. We all know that the 35 lux V2 is 2-lenses in one. Can the 50/1.5 Helier Classic perform the same way?

Not in the same way as the 35/1.4 pre-asph which performs great across the field stopped down. The 50/1.5 Heliar improves a lot starting at f/2.8 but never achieves excellent resolution.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lct said:

I have no experience with the Heliar 50/1.5 but i can't seem to find a picture with significant glow with this lens. Any link about this? Just curious.

Try the forum search function, there are a couple of threads about the 50mm Heliar Classic, also some images on the ‘Nifty 50’ and ‘I Like Film’ threads. 
You need to understand this isn’t a lens I would choose for landscape or holiday photography, it’s strengths are portraits and still life.  
It takes time to work it out and use it creatively to get the best from it, because there is more to the Heliar Classic than it simply being a ‘soft’ lens.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

You need to understand this isn’t a lens I would choose for landscape or holiday photography, it’s strengths are portraits and still life.

Thank you but my question was about glow. What i seem to see is optical blur on OoF areas but i may be wrong or perhaps this is what you are calling glow? Just curious again :cool:.

53 minutes ago, lct said:

Thank you but my question was about glow. What i seem to see is optical blur on OoF areas but i may be wrong or perhaps this is what you are calling glow? Just curious again :cool:.

I didn’t mention ‘glow’ because ‘glow’ isn’t something I’m particularly interested in. 

I have described the lens based on my own experience of using it and when I would, or would not, use the Heliar Classic

I suggested a couple of places where you might look to see if you can find some ‘glow’! 

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Thanks 1

On the simple basis that the 35mm MC Nokton has a very similar rendering compared with the 35mm Summilux pre-asph I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned the 50mm Nokton? Of course the 50mm Nokton may be entirely different in character to the 35mm Nokton or the 35mm Summilux, but given both the 50mm and the 35mm Nokton's are available as single coated lenses (SC on the front ring) for added glow (even more glow the the MC version) I'd be surprised if the design philosophy didn't carry through.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

As I posted before, there is a huge different in the medium (digital or analog) and how the lens renders OOF.

I attached two Summilux 35 v2 at f1.4

The first is on Monocrom CCD, the second is shot one day later , same time, same lightening condition and not as close as the digital one.

Edited by shinobi2012
its 1.4 not f.2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

On the simple basis that the 35mm MC Nokton has a very similar rendering compared with the 35mm Summilux pre-asph I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned the 50mm Nokton? Of course the 50mm Nokton may be entirely different in character to the 35mm Nokton or the 35mm Summilux, but given both the 50mm and the 35mm Nokton's are available as single coated lenses (SC on the front ring) for added glow (even more glow the the MC version) I'd be surprised if the design philosophy didn't carry through.

Steve, which 50mm Nokton you refer to ?

Interesting.

The only one that I used is 1.1/50mm, I think in my pictures that this one has not the nice "odd" character of the Summilux 1.4/35mm.

I don't know the other newer Nokton 1.2/50 or 1.0/50 , maybe one of those ?

2 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Steve, which 50mm Nokton you refer to ?

Interesting.

The only one that I used is 1.1/50mm, I think in my pictures that this one has not the nice "odd" character of the Summilux 1.4/35mm.

I don't know the other newer Nokton 1.2/50 or 1.0/50 , maybe one of those ?

The 50mm f1.5 II VM Asph Vintage Line, there are variations of it, MC or SC, black, silver, etc. but one of the manufacturers codes is VM227 for the SC and VM228 for the MC version.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 250swb said:

The 50mm f1.5 II VM Asph Vintage Line, there are variations of it, MC or SC, black, silver, etc. but one of the manufacturers codes is VM227 for the SC and VM228 for the MC version.

Those are modern lens designs with retro styled barrels; the SC versions are discontinued but may still be in distribution.

The 'vintage' lenses will not render like a historic lens, you want Voigtländer 'classic' lenses for that; blame their marketing department for any confusion !

• Like 1

I had a look at the website, out of curiosity,

with some samples of MC and SC

yes, my thinking is in the vintage design of barrels and optical formula

I yet not see in the sample pics any magic rendering of pre-asph. Summilux 35mm.

12 blades aperture is nice though.

return to post #5

Edited by a.noctilux

1 hour ago, FrozenInTime said:

Those are modern lens designs with retro styled barrels; the SC versions are discontinued but may still be in distribution.

The 'vintage' lenses will not render like a historic lens, you want Voigtländer 'classic' lenses for that; blame their marketing department for any confusion !

I wasn't confused, I was simply making the point the 35mm Nokton renders in a very similar way to the 35mm Summilux pre-asph, so maybe the 50mm does as well? I didn't for one second think it was the vintage style barrels that may impart this rendering although the fact that you can order a single coated version my possibly imply this. For the record Robert White have 5 examples of the SC version in stock.

4 hours ago, shinobi2012 said:

As I posted before, there is a huge different in the medium (digital or analog) and how the lens renders OOF.

I attached two Summilux 35 v2 at f1.4

The first is on Monocrom CCD, the second is shot one day later , same time, same lightening condition and not as close as the digital one.

Thank for mentioning the medium effects. Let make it simple. I will mainly use both lenses on my M0-R.

Bit of glow perhaps? Interesting lens anyway. Nokton 50/1.5 SC v2 on M11. Detail in exif data.