35mm Summilux FLE - loose front element

TigrisJK

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone got a fix for a loose front element for the Summilux FLE or do I need to send it back to Leica?

It's not as simple as cranking it tight, that's for sure, it (a) doesn't stay tight and (b) needs to be in a certain orientation for the hood to fit and lock properly in place, or else it won't do it.

Video demonstrating the issue:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QuRS6aAKau14tSFu7

On 12/24/2022 at 11:58 AM, TigrisJK said:

Anyone got a fix for a loose front element for the Summilux FLE or do I need to send it back to Leica?

It's not as simple as cranking it tight, that's for sure, it (a) doesn't stay tight and (b) needs to be in a certain orientation for the hood to fit and lock properly in place, or else it won't do it.

Video demonstrating the issue:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QuRS6aAKau14tSFu7

That is painful to watch. I wonder if this is part of the reason they are switching these lenses to have a lens hood built in. 

Thanks all. I'll contact support.

And I wonder, that seems possible. I certainly prefer the look of this hood to the new pull out, honestly. Plus it's so sturdy the hood itself is a protective measure in the front of my lens.

I've had it a decade as my primary lens and I really wouldn't want to live without it, so it's definitely going back to Leica.

Edited by TigrisJK

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The fix is easy. There are three screws under the name plate, they are now loose, you need to tighten them. Take the name plate off first by using the rubber ring (widely available on ebay of different sizes). 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone, 

I have the very same issue with my elmarit 28mm asph v2, and I tried Labyrinth ‘s fix, but the name ring just seems to unscrew undefinitely and I can’t take it out.

did anyone had a similar experience and found a workaround?

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...