Issue when converting to jpeg... any thoughts?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good afternoon, or good morning/evening depending where you are...

I use Capture One and recently started to notice that when I export the raw file to jpeg details are lost - considerably. Hopefully the two images I upload will show the issue. The first is a screen shot of the image in C1. The second is the jpeg after export. This does not happen all the time but frequently at the moment.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks... and Merry Christmas.

Kind regards,

Paul

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi David,

Thanks. I am not sure how I save the colour profile. In C1 I go to export and have set for sRGB. To be honest I have never been able to get my head around profiles. I don't set any profile on import.

I have tried embedding the camera profile when exporting but this doesn't make any difference.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

I agree with @wda, the detail is there but there is a definitive colour problem with your exported jpg. The tan colour of the faces gets a very green cast. This is strange because when I use C1 it shows the photo on the screen in the acitve export color space setting (contrary to Lightroom where you always see something close to pro photo RGB on screen, unless you select "soft proofing"). So I would expect that your screenshot should match your exported jpg, but it definitely doesn't. If you share your export settings (screenshot) we might be able to help you analyse the problem.

Thanks Chaps,

Export settings below.

Paul

I use Lightroom, and control+s saves my colour processing as a set of instructions, with my file . An exported file carries those corrections, embedded with the file, to its destination, where it is appled to the image. Sorry, but I have no experience with your process. But the same principle must apply.

2 hours ago, schimmey said:

Export settings below.

What you could try is at the ICC profile field see if you can choose "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" from the drop down list and see if that removes this weird green cast from the darker tan colours in the exported jpg.

The ICC profile you're now using (sRGB color space profile) is not on my list in C1 (v22) and might be some kind of sRGB display or print profile that's somewhere on your computer.

Edited by pegelli
  • Thanks 1

I have to agree with Jaap...  something extraordinarily weird is going on.  I'm using Capture One 22 as well, and using the same settings I get this output:

Using the GIMP, I can manipulate the red channel like this:

This will produce this image from your original:

Update - still no joy. I have tried various mixes but the hoed still comes out as before. I have noticed that for a slight moment, when I select the image in C1 the thumbnail appears similar to the jpeg but then corrects itself. 

I have reinstalled Lightroom and exported that image to jpeg. No problem. Out and of curiosity what do you guy’s use? My only real concern with Lightroom is that I cannot seem to focus on editing skin tones like I can in C1. 
Cheers. 
Paul