Hektor 28mm 6.3

A36 filters (with clamping screw) are the standard for almost all old Leitz lenses of prewar age : apart "specials" like Thambar/ Xenon/Telyt, the lens line 28 - 35 - 50 Elmar - 90 Elmar - 135 Hektor is all A36; is not difficult to find them (I have 5 or 6 included the polarizing and the UV). The problem is if you think of M8 and the perennial UVIR... no one seems to produce such an old style mount... But old Leitz solved this issue about 50 years ago... there is a ring (SOOGZ - 13154, have it too...:) ) which clamps on A36 mounts with the usual screw, and has an E39 thread at the other side, so you can find all the filters you like, UVIR included: it's a simple ring, and I do not think is difficult to find one for about 50 Euros (I bought mine more than 20 years ago...)

Just a collector curios... is your item pre or postwar ? The postwars with number on front and interational f/ scale to f/22 are very rare .... I'd like to have one...

thanks, leitz_not_leica.

The left one ist an old original Leitz filter 34mm screw in (not coated), the right one a

Heliopan 34mm screw in filter (coated, made on request), the middle one an original Leica

slip on (36mm). You may hardly find screw in filters, very often a slip on, they are very

fine. (Please excuse my English.)

str.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wow Stjefan !!! I never saw an original 34 screw in !!! We collectors give the right weight also to these little items, and yours is surely a rarity... have you also some of the "super large size" like the E58 (Summarex - Hektor 125) or E85 for 400 ? I have 2 or 3... they are BIG and fine...

My father bought this filter with a IIIa and a Summar in 1936. I later found a 58

and use it with the Hector 12,5 cm. Once I saw a new 85, if I remember right, in

a store in Swizerland. There it was since about 50 years

str.

Thanks for the information, Luigi. As I am using this on my M8, I'd love to see that ring you write of that allows for an E39 ir/cut filter. That way I know what to keep an eye out for!

Also, my lens is pre-war. I'm not interested in rare variations at the moment unless they have coatings or formulas that produce special qualities. The post-war is the same lens formula and coating, correct?

-grant

• 2 weeks later...

If all goes well, Craig from Tamarkin will be snagging a clamp for me from the CT store tomorrow. And if that isn't good enough, that one clamp will do triple duty for the 28mm Hektor, freshly acquired 1935 Summar (damn you again Tamarkin!), as well as the 1951 90mm Elmar.

Thanks for the help.

-grant