M11 profiles

blaaberkat

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I have two profiles set up at the moment, one for daytime shooting (kelvin 5500 + faster shutter + lower auto-ISO) and one for nighttime basically the other way around with lower shutter speed/higher ISO. So out of curiosity and inspiration seeking, I was wondering how you set your profiles up? Am I “missing out” on something. 

thanks

I have:  Color - JPEG & DNG set for highlight meter,  B&W - JPEG BW with my preferred settings & DNG (always color of course); HI Key - with highlight metering; Low Key - with Center Weight (for flatter lighting).  Anything else gets a fast tweak from the standard setting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my opinion, you should be conservative on what to put in the profile. 

I’m creating a profile weight color temperature present is useless because even 5000 K is not always the same in the daylight and you could just be standing in the shade and a day would be seven and 8000 K

I would suggest keeping any of those options where in the first screen of the menu you can change wake one click to keep them not set in the camera profile with the exception of raw and JPEG. 

I would suggest just create a Pages profile with the most important settings that you will use all the time, if you make changes to settings, they are always changing during the shooting experience you never know which profile you end, because as soon as you change something, the profile will not reflect your shooting condition they were previously saved.

I personally don’t change white balance, unless I’m actually doing a job where it is important and hard to get a custom white balance, while I’m shooting wrong all this is not as important to me as the exposure that I’m getting, I will edit all the chosen raw files anyway in post. The camera does a great job in white balance at least for a base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm new to Leica and new to the M11, so still lots to learn and experiment.

For now I've created 5 profiles:

• Street (36Mpix, fast shutter/higher ISO, vivid colour profile)
  • Portrait (36Mpix, slower shutter/lower ISO, natural colour profile)
  • Landscaoe (60Mpix, slower shutter/lower ISO, natural colour profile)
  • Architecture (60Mpix, slower shutter/lower ISO, vivid colour profile - perspective control on)
  • Dark (36Mpix, allowing higher ISO for night photography)

I'l try how this works for a while. I mostly post-process in Capture One, so might not actually use the JPG colour profiles much, though I do generally like the JPG output.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Start using the camera, select your preferred settings for a particular usage and save as a profile. Do the same for other preferred shooting situations. The preferences of others are of little value to you. Forget about JPG. You are throwing away half the capability of the camera-which you paid a not inconsiderable amount  of money for. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2022 at 8:43 AM, jaapv said:

Start using the camera, select your preferred settings for a particular usage and save as a profile. Do the same for other preferred shooting situations. The preferences of others are of little value to you. Forget about JPG. You are throwing away half the capability of the camera-which you paid a not inconsiderable amount  of money for. 

I think Jpg is for rare scenarios like; someone giving you his 500MB SD Card and asking you to shoot him in JPG because he doesn't have a computer and wants to share those photos on Snapchat right now.

I just have one profile with all the settings as I like them, say, 95% of the time. Then if I need to change anything I select that profile and then just change what is needed (and don't save those changes to the profile). Which doesn't happen too often for me, so I just use it as my own custom "default" profile. 

• Like 1

vor 22 Minuten schrieb maxpower:

I just have one profile with all the settings as I like them, say, 95% of the time. Then if I need to change anything I select that profile and then just change what is needed (and don't save those changes to the profile). Which doesn't happen too often for me, so I just use it as my own custom "default" profile. 

Same here.

I dont use profile, the setting im at right now is my profile, everything is manual, and change when necessary for instance, bracketing, awb, iso, speed

i shoot only jpeg and dont preview much, but i set film setting to bw HC just to see how it looks in BW when in livemode, my evf is set extended, this also very rarely used but nice to have when needed 

On 1/4/2023 at 1:50 AM, Aljoheri said:

I think Jpg is for rare scenarios like; someone giving you his 500MB SD Card and asking you to shoot him in JPG because he doesn't have a computer and wants to share those photos on Snapchat right now.

I would urge everyone NOT to take a SD card, from someone (without proper formatting) and put it into their camera. Especially an M11. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

But you could format it in the M11. Would that be ok?

Probably.  However, just like putting a corrupt or infected disk/memory into any computer, an odd artifact or infection or ???, could effect a system.  I could see someone inserting a card with someone's photos and not wanting to, or forgetting to, reformat prior to rushing to take a couple of innocuous photos. Honestly, I've never had anyone ask me to use their memory to take a picture of them.  I would expect they would hand me their camera for that request not a rogue memory card. 

Edited by DenverSteve
  • Like 1