Favorite Monitor PC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What PC monitors do you love for photo editing and video editing? 

Color accuracy and has become more important lately with my work.  It's time to upgrade my monitor - a 32" 12 year old Dell professional model.  I have noticed more often that my monitor is not up to par with M11 resolution, or the brightness and colors to social media is darker than on my screen.

I don't think that I can go smaller than 32" since moving to one. 

For me the only monitor I would buy is from Eizo's ColorEdge / Color Guard series.  These monitors are built for graphics professionals where color accuracy and brightness are critical.  And it is great having a built-in calibration tool.  Size, number of lines resolution and tools quickly drive up the price.

I find 32in too big for the distance I am at when viewing the monitor.  I have used my monitor with images from a Phase One IQ4 150 MP sensor with no issue.  Size is obviously a personal choice.

Depending on where you live, it can be a journey to get to a store that displays Eizo monitors.  I am lucky to have a Phase One value added dealer within 20 minutes of my location.

• Like 2

Eizo. CS or CG.  (CS has no built-in calibration tool, but I don't mind running my Spyderx Pro over the screen once in a while. I prefer 2x 24" over 27" but that is a personal preference.

I rather dislike 4K screens - I find they oversharpen the image resulting in soft prints.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, jaapv said:

Eizo. CS or CG.  (CS has no built-in calibration tool, but I don't mind running my Spyderx Pro over the screen once in a while. I prefer 2x 24" over 27" but that is a personal preference.

I rather dislike 4K screens - I find they oversharpen the image resulting in soft prints.

It interesting that you mention the 4k over-sharpening issues.   I pulled up a SL2-S low light shot that I was so proud of today on a work 4k monitor and it was simply riddled with noise I did not see before.  It is confusing. 

Yes. I have a main monitor by Eizo that I edit on and a secondary one Samsung Pro 4K. for the PS tools. I had to scale it down to 1920x1200 to get decent editing results when I tested it out and to get a decent size text and panels. The colors are dull compared to the Eizo  too, despite calibration. For me, this 4K is a no-go for main editing screen. As you say, it creates noise and unnatural sharpness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Hans-Dieter Gülicher:

Surface Studio II full equipped with ADOBErgb monitor profil.

The monitor size is 28`` = 4500 x 3000 px = Barnack-size. I use it for smaller full size presentations plus Bose soundbar. My printer is Epson SC600 for prints up to A4+.

Furthermore exists my Laptop Surface Book 3 with 15`` monitor = 3240 x 2160 px = Barnack-size for external use plus a German Teufel soundbox and my Surface Go 4 in case of traveling over longer distances by plane. They all are running with ADOBErgb monitor profil for use with Photoshop and inDesign actual versions.

Regards Hans

• Like 1

I had a Dell U2713H till this year, but a couple of the input ports and the USB port had failed - Displayport still worked. It had been good for many years. I replaced it with an Eizo CS2731, which is also fine. I have no doubt that the Eizo has a more even display than the Dell and perhaps other qualities, but frankly I don't notice. I can't fit anything bigger than 27" into my workspace, and already I have to move my head, not just my eyes, to survey the full screen.

A major benefit of 27" over a 24" (which I tried) is that I can read two A4 documents side by side.

I thought I had problems with the Eizo when it started stuttering when editing video with high processing demand (noise reduction), but changed the monitor cable - that sorted it - a cheap fix!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Eizo CS2700S 2k Model

I think that this is the model that I am deciding on.  It is quite an investment, but I have high hopes for printing new work.  I am unsure how I will handle sl2s video editing, but I feel that it will be just fine.  the 2700x model is 4k and better / more desirable it would seem, but it exceeds my price barrier. 

10 hours ago, tangosix said:

It is quite an investment

These monitors last forever.  Computers need upgrading periodically, but the monitor doesn't need to change.  I have had my CX271 for eight years I think, and I don't see any reason to get a new one.  

Is there not an Eizo dealer somewhere near you where you can bring a video file and try the various monitors for editing? 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

EIZO was great advice.  CS2731 2k is a good fit for now.   

Que rico, the vibrant color is dramatically better than the old dell I was using.  Bonus for the matte viewing experience also ... paper like.  27" is about perfect for me. 

I am curious how my finished edits will be viewed by others online because there is no way they could look this deliciously rich.  At least now I have the gold standard to measure my final prints against and that was my goal. 

I regret not discovering EIZO sooner. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...