M240 and EVF

Jskywalker

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M240-35mm Summilux came with a Leica EVF. I hardly use it. I use the focusing patch most of the time but do get miss focus especially at F1.4, and the subject is close by and moving,

I find the red lines confusing. Maybe I'm using it wrong ? How do you focus say a person eyes or face using the EVF ?

How do you use the EVF.

PS Recently, I added a multi-function grip. I like the convenience of transferring files via the USB port without taking out the SD card every time. Although, it is slower in transferring. I went for a 15km walk yesterday and can really feel the weight of the M240 😅.

7 hours ago, Jskywalker said:

I went for a 15km walk yesterday and can really feel the weight of the M240 😅.

I can relate to that. My back is not what it used to be...

Depending on the 35 Summilux you have, you could save a couple of hundred grams by mounting a different lens for longer walks. There are lots of Leica gems from 100-200 g., most of them older designs like 35 Summicron, Summaron and 50 Summicron collapsibe, and even some modern designs like the 28 Elmarit-M ASPH.

IQ can be surprisingly good for the old lenses and the newer Summicron and Elmarit design can easily keep up compared to the Summilux stopped down.

PS: For me the EVF would rather be something to use outside normal rangefinder use. If your Summilux 35 is calibrated well, the rangefinder should be more precise than the EVF to focus  a wide angle lens AFAIK.

On 12/21/2022 at 2:15 PM, Jskywalker said:

How do you focus say a person eyes or face using the EVF ?

i have the same EVF and MFG setup, except i use the m246. the MFG really helps with any lenses above 50mm

the EVF and liveview relies on contrast to work out focus. i have 2 main tricks when using the EVF.

i either get closer to the subject (and rely on the contrast from the iris or eyebrow to light up the EVF) or i bring the subject closer to the key light (the reflection from their iris really pops in the EVF). i find asking the subject to either face or look towards the key light to work best.

it also helps to have a sharper lens, but the tradeoff is that - sharper doesnt mean better for human subjects 🤓

Even with a wide angle lens, open at f/1.4, the depth of field is quite narrow. If you focus on the eye with the rf patch and then recompose, the eye will no longer be the point of focus. Depending on the size of print, this may or may not be that relevant. There is a reason for f/8 !

I set my M-P so that the EVF view is in black and white. The auto magnification helps.

• 4 weeks later...

You can use the focus assist enlargement to help focusing. On you camera right front, there is a small button that can be easily reached with your right point finger, push it, it will enlarge the view in your LCD or EVF. That helps a lot. 

You can configure the enlargement when turn on the manual, 2,5,or 10x, . I use the largest 10X. You can also set to auto or manual mode. Setting to Auto mode will automatically enlarge the view when your turning the M lens focus ring. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

You can use the focus assist enlargement to help focusing. On you camera right front, there is a small button that can be easily reached with your right point finger, push it, it will enlarge the view in your LCD or EVF. That helps a lot. 

You can configure the enlargement when turn on the manual, 2,5,or 10x, . I use the largest 10X. You can also set to auto or manual mode. Setting to Auto mode will automatically enlarge the view when your turning the M lens focus ring. 

And to assist pressing the button, which is a bit too flat to comfortably find and press, I added a frame or furniture bump to it. The button glue is good enough that I only had to replace it once.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't be without the EVF - as it has a tiny form factor it goes pretty much everywhere with me when I have my M-P out and about. Sure its a little outdated now, but is still 100% perfectly usable for its intended purpose. 

I use the rangefinder, EVF and liveview/rear screen interchangeably with perhaps a slight bias towards the EVF when live viewing - focus peaking is easier to see in the EVF too.

That's the beauty of the 240 - more options available - not all fellow Leica sufferers have that luxury.

Edited by solidstate100
  • Like 2

Had the EVF-2, didn't like it because of the very low resolution and the very long blackout time. Sold it. Use the camera screen with LV for all lenses wider than 35mm and for me this works much better. 

Edited by tom.w.bn

It's a bit outdated today. Sad that the never came up with an improved version.

On the other hand a helpful tool that I sometimes don't want to miss. Way better than to use LV on the screen. Before I go them calibrated the only way to use my telephoto lenses.

With my eyesight and varifocal glasses I use it whenever precise focus is required. That to me means if shooting wider than about f5.6 on a 90mm or f2.8 on a 50mm at half body portrait distance, so two to four metres depending on the lens. With lenses wider than 50mm I only use the rangefinder. 

I never recompose at these critical apertures, I just allow enough room to crop for desired framing. 

I know there are some owls on the forum who can focus the 90mm M summicron wide open in low light at close distances wearing glasses, but I am not one of those. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love my EVF with my M-P typ240....

I use it very often for macro work with a Nikkor 55mm f3.5.

I use it for copy work with a variety of lenses.

I use it with several Nikkor zoom lenses.

I use it for many after market lenses with their adapters.

I use it often to check lens focusing sensor focus vs rangefinder focus

I use it almost always when using a tripod...one of the best camera tripod combo's around.

I use it whenever I need critical focus.

I use it when I need precise framing, or checking straight edges.

I use it and press the focus button, not on auto when I touch the lens focusing.

I use it when I feel like using it.

It was a breakthrough with the M cameras vastly expanding the useability of the M range.

Edited by david strachan