Leave hotshoe uncovered?

TheEyesHaveIt

1 hour ago, TheEyesHaveIt said:

How important is it to keep the hotshoe cover on? I bought the Visoflex recently and it'd be quick if I didn't have to remove the hotshoe cover every time, but I'm also concerned about the contacts getting damaged. Not sure how likely that is though?

the hotshoe on M since m10 probably the most delicate part, i'd keep it covered though just too concern bout it

• Like 2

It all depends on what you're doing.  If you're using a tele or adapted or a wide that is outside of the range of your frame lines and want to use the visoflex, mount it and don't worry.  I most often leave a thumbs up in my hotshoe but if I change to one of the lenses that might require the visoflex...I use it.  Without worry or concern.  The camera is made to be used for taking photos, not for setting on a shelf with everything covered just incase something bad happens.  If something bad happens then it needs to be dealt with, preferably while under warranty.  Is it likely that something could get damaged?  Probably not, but I'd rather it showed up early rather than later.  That said, my Leica cameras are the first and only that I've ever used a hotshoe cover or thumbs up device on...and never have had a problem with them.

• Like 1

Have there been any reports of damaged caused by an exposed hotshoe? None that I've heard, and the LUF is a great place for hearing about the rarest of camera failures. I don't have a M, but neither my SL2-S nor Q2 have a cover and both are supposedly weatherproofed, like the M11.

AFAIC they are something that gets lost, especially when you want to use the hotshoe.

4 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Have there been any reports of damaged caused by an exposed hotshoe? None that I've heard, and the LUF is a great place for hearing about the rarest of camera failures. I don't have a M, but neither my SL2-S nor Q2 have a cover and both are supposedly weatherproofed, like the M11.

AFAIC they are something that gets lost, especially when you want to use the hotshoe.

The M10 and M11 have "pronged" EVF contacts at the hotshoe (recessed past the flash contacts), so it would be better to cover them.

If i had asked for a hotshoe cover 30 years ago my dealer would have thought i'm crazy. Different times, different ways. More seriously (if possible) the first thing i do with those things is to keep them in the box as i know for sure that i will lose them soon or late. Same for hood caps BTW. YMMV.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I believe there is a specific warning in the user manual about keeping the cover in place when cleaning the camera with a microfibre cloth as the contacts might be short-circuited.

Philip.

EDIT : I can't find the reference to the microfibre cloth in the instruction book for my MD 262 (which suggests that I read it in a previous manual) but in the booklet I have to hand Leica warn about cover removal when no accessory is going to be used no fewer than three times (p.86; p.93; p.94) so they might have a good reason for doing so...

Edited by pippy

22 hours ago, TheEyesHaveIt said:

...it'd be quick if I didn't have to remove the hotshoe cover every time...

As a matter of interest how long does it take you to remove the hot shoe cover (1/4 second?) in comparison with how long it takes to bring out and install the visoflex?

Philip.

1 hour ago, pippy said:

As a matter of interest how long does it take you to remove the hot shoe cover (1/4 second?) in comparison with how long it takes to bring out and install the visoflex?

Philip.

The hardest part is where to store the hotshoe cover so that I do not lose it 😄.

Edited by SrMi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

The hardest part is where to store the hotshoe cover so that I do not lose it 😄.

haahha exactly.. well i still think hotshoe on m11 quite delicate, now i lost its function to connect my visoflex, not that i use that regularly.. but handy when it was there when needed lol

have the thumb up for that cover though

• 2 weeks later...