Zeiss 18 Distagon Question

atufte

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wlaidlaw wrote: "The Leica 43mm UV/IR cut filter (silver only) has a 0.5mm thread pitch like the E39 filters. However, nowadays the industry standard for filters over 40.5mm is to have a 0.75mm thread pitch. Hence if you have a CZ 35 Biogon, you need a B+W or Heliopan filter to fit its 0.75mm thread. The Leica 43mm one screws in about half a turn, then binds."

Wilson, do you think there is any reason the filter could not be left in that position? I mean if it binds wouldn't it get stuck hard enough to remain on the lens? I rarely need to remove the filters. I only ask because I have a 43 mm Leica filter on order and plan to use it on the ZM 35 mm.

Arne,

My guess is that sooner or later it will drop out. When you have perfectly reasonable alternatives in the B+W or Heliopan, why go for the ill-fitting Leica. If you have to have a Leica filter, I would buy a second hand UV 43 mm filter which has a screw out element locking ring and put the Leica UV/IR filter glass in the 43 x 0.75mm holder remembering the filter element has an inside and outside (use a chinagraph pencil to mark the leica filter before disassembly).

Wilson

I have the 18 in my hand and can report that it is possible to make a flange mount from scratch that will fit the 18, bring up the 28mm frame lines (same as the WATE) and have the coding recesses. I expect to have them ready early next week, made from bronze like the LTM8 adapters.

A Leica 55 UV/IR filter fitted with a Tiffen59-55 step down ring works fine with no hood interference.

courtesy of mr. mancuso.

cute little chub of a lens, Guy. thanks

I have the 18 in my hand and can report that it is possible to make a flange mount from scratch that will fit the 18, bring up the 28mm frame lines (same as the WATE) and have the coding recesses. I expect to have them ready early next week, made from bronze like the LTM8 adapters.

A Leica 55 UV/IR filter fitted with a Tiffen59-55 step down ring works fine with no hood interference.

courtesy of mr. mancuso.

John,

Any thoughts on pricing of this flange mount yet including P&P to Europe. Did you mean a 58 to 55 step down ring as Zeiss quotes a 58mm filter size?

Wilson

courtesy of mr. mancuso.

Hi John,

You meant 58-55. I also am testing a ZM 18 now and the review is about 75% complete. I hope to have the initial version done by tomorrow. The hood does easily clear a 55 in a 58-55 step down ring. Its a very impressive lens and John will be sending me a prototype of his bayonet next week for testing.

I don't think I've ever before heard Guy called a "cute little chub of a lens".

Cheers,

Sean

Oops! the 58-55 step down will fit

no comment on the chubbie remark

pricng will be the same as the LTM8, there is a secondary operation on the back side of the adapter that offsets the deletion of internal threads

jm

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm just afraid he may go shoot with the thing and i will never see it again. Damn thing is sharp. LOL

I need to stop being the guinea pig around here first the WATE and now the Zeiss 18mm. Don't even bring up the camera's. I must be nuts.

I need to stop being the guinea pig around here first the WATE and now the Zeiss 18mm. Don't even bring up the camera's. I must be nuts.

Guy, since this behavior is rather contagious, I am (and many with me, for sure) happy to have you around here. To have someone we can blame for our gear lust. LOL.

Hello Wilson,Well I do not make such differences, as i almost only have Leitz-Leica lenses. ;)

The next one up is an Elmarit 21mm Asph and down is the Ultra-Wide-Heliar 12mm.

This Zeiss set well in between.

But, have a look here at 100% crops from RAW, converted as TIFF 16 bit, of the first picture handheld @ 160 ISO :

[ATTACH]57584[/ATTACH]

Top left

[ATTACH]57585[/ATTACH]

Down Right

[ATTACH]57586[/ATTACH]

Middle

This is taken without an IR filter and no 6 bits coding.

A friend who bought the same lens at the same time have had some try with the IR filter, he was disappointed.

As we got a 24mm on the M8, vignetting is only light on the corners.

Again, I love this lens. ;)

Phillipe

Before you sell your 21 Elmarit and depend on the Zeiss 18 you may want to check out the differences in bokeh. I have no experience personally with the Zeiss 18 and as with all of their lenses would expect very high quality. However bokeh of the 21 Elmarit is extremely nice and if you have both lenses worthwhile checking out. I would love to see any results you may care to share.

Woody Spedden

Guest guy_mancuso

Even with very little use the Zeiss 18mm is no leica 21mm. The bokeh is not even close from limited use. The 21mm draws much better here . Now the Z 18mm replacing the Cv15 than you talking a much better lens from what I seen so far. Different breeds . The Zeiss has more contrast for one and it is sharp but the bokeh is not the greatest if this matters but the detail from it is superb. Sean should have his review up soon, he certainly tested more than I have. But from what I have seen i won't be selling my Leica 21 any day soon. My CV 15mm maybe on the bubble but for the money and size it still fits in a corner pocket. I have a 12mm so i have a lot of coverage down here in wide land.

I believe i get significantly less cyan vignetting after the new firmware upgrade, this shot is with the Zeiss Distagon 18, Leica UV/IR and no coding and no cornerfix, ok it's there but not at all as bad as it was....sorry i can't provide before and after fw images...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

One approach you may want to examine is to use one of the R 15's (there are two, one a 3.5 super elmar and one elmarit.) The elmarit is still in production but the super elmar is not. Sadly the elmarit new is $7700 and even used commands in excess of $5500. Having said that I use my elmarit with the Novoflex adapter with wonderful results. Since it is an R lens I also get to use it on my R9/DMR so I have double the fun.

Anyway, there are super elmars on the buy and sell (including mine) so these Leica gems are yet another approach to the super wides for the M

Woody Spedden

on it's way to Guy and Sean:

...and they are now ready

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

John, one screw on the mount is in the way of the coding, although not in the spot where the only black dot goes, if the lens is coded like a WATE. Can the screw itself be slightly milled down to allow painting the top of it, in case a better code arrives later?