• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know if the Distagon 18 brings up the right framelines so it can be

coded as the WATE...?

Sorry i have a lot of questions regarding this lens, but there is not much info to be found

on the internet yet:-)

Thanks Wilson

But are you saying that only the silver Leica IR filter has 0.5mm pitch, and not the black one, it can't be that easy...?

Alexander,

There is only a silver for the 43mm. I am guessing this will be for one of their older lenses. If Lars or Carsten are reading this post, I am sure they will tell us which lens(es). The black UV/IR 43mm filter I am using is a B+W, with a 0.75mm thread, which fits the 35 Biogon. I would doubt if there is room for a 43/46 ring + 46 filter with the C~Z metal hood.

Wilson

Does anyone know if the Distagon 18 brings up the right framelines so it can be

coded as the WATE...?

Sorry i have a lot of questions regarding this lens, but there is not much info to be found

on the internet yet:-)

Alexander,

The answer sadly is no, it brings up the 24/35 lines. There was a rumour that CZ were goimg to offer a bespoke lens ordering service where you could order any lens with your choice of bayonet. Mind you it is only a 10 to 15 minute job to change. The bayonet and 4 new screws are about €35 from Zeiss. You need a correct size jewelers screwdriver, some acetone to dissolve the thread-lock and some new thread-lock (low strength).

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Alexander,

There is only a silver for the 43mm. I am guessing this will be for one of their older lenses. If Lars or Carsten are reading this post, I am sure they will tell us which lens(es). The black UV/IR 43mm filter I am using is a B+W, with a 0.75mm thread, which fits the 35 Biogon. I would doubt if there is room for a 43/46 ring + 46 filter with the C~Z metal hood.

Wilson

Thanks for clearing that up... :-)

But to be honest i really dont care if says Leica or B+W on the filter as long as it works without giving me either green or magenta vignetting, can anyone please answer if the B+W works " like they should" on the Biogon 35/2 and the planar 50/2....if so i will be more than happy to trade my filters to the right size from B+W..

And again thanks...

So we would have to change the mount for the WATE code to work

I think a new CZ (with 28/90 frameline tabs) and a Milich Coded mount + a B+W E58 UV/IR Cut filter is the solution for hopefully perfect result with the 18/4 Distagon on the M8... it will cost you about 25 € for the mount and 25$ for the milich milled and code ready mount/flange, not bad at all except the time it takes to get it done, hehe... :-)

I'm choosing this route if someone doesn't come up with another "haleluja" solution :-)

I think a new CZ (with 28/90 frameline tabs) and a Milich Coded mount + a B+W E58 UV/IR Cut filter is the solution for hopefully perfect result with the 18/4 Distagon on the M8... it will cost you about 25 € for the mount and 25$ for the milich milled and code ready mount/flange, not bad at all except the time it takes to get it done, hehe... :-)

I'm choosing this route if someone doesn't come up with another "haleluja" solution :-)

It won't be perfect but it could be workable. Your corners will sometimes be off a bit in color.

Cheers,

Sean

Guest guy_mancuso

That is exactly what i am thinking also Sean. Alex you and Phillip maybe the first around to have this lens, you guy's are the guinea pigs. So many answers will come from you but my donut bet is on. LOL

It won't be perfect but it could be workable. Your corners will sometimes be off a bit in color.

Cheers,

Sean

I find the whole picture very slightly green with B+W filters. However it is a very easy tweak in the C1 profile to either boost red and blue or turn down green. It is really only noticeable if you have a lot of vegetation/trees in the image. If you have a very pale but bright blue/grey sky with either the Biogon 35 or Nokton 35 plus B+W filters, if you look very carefully, you may see a very faint pink tinge in the corners. For that reason, I think it is better to decrease the green on the profile rather than boost the red and blue. It is all very acceptable however and if it worries you, you can always use Corner Fix. I think Leica is missing sales here of filters for non-Leica lenses. I cannot see someone not buying a CZ or CV lens and buying a Leica one instead, just because they would have to use a B+W or Heliopan filter. However if the Leica filters were available, I think most would go for the Leica filters, rather than choose B+W/Heliopan. The only Leica lens where I have chosen a B+W filter was my Tele-Elmar 135, where I found a B+W 486 E39 for £19 and reasoned at that long focal length, it was not going to make a lot of difference which brand I used.

Wilson

That is exactly what i am thinking also Sean. Alex you and Phillip maybe the first around to have this lens, you guy's are the guinea pigs. So many answers will come from you but my donut bet is on. LOL

Hehe, i'm sorry Guy but i dont own this lens yet, just doing research before getting one..:-)

Does anyone know if the Distagon 18 brings up the right framelines so it can be coded as the WATE...?
The Diastagon 18mm shows 50-75mm frame lines.

What shows the WATE 16-18-21 please ?

If i would want an IR filter on it (which i don't) i would go for the 55mm. Think we have a 24mm.

BTW, here a picture taken with the 18mm on a M6. :)

Distagon 18mm on M6

Guy, hopefully I will have this lens for Yosemite. Just ordered it from Popflash via Fedex along with 58mm filter. We'll see.

Alan

Wlaidlaw wrote: "The Leica 43mm UV/IR cut filter (silver only) has a 0.5mm thread pitch like the E39 filters. However, nowadays the industry standard for filters over 40.5mm is to have a 0.75mm thread pitch. Hence if you have a CZ 35 Biogon, you need a B+W or Heliopan filter to fit its 0.75mm thread. The Leica 43mm one screws in about half a turn, then binds."

Wilson, do you think there is any reason the filter could not be left in that position? I mean if it binds wouldn't it get stuck hard enough to remain on the lens? I rarely need to remove the filters. I only ask because I have a 43 mm Leica filter on order and plan to use it on the ZM 35 mm.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Alex I'm betting a dozen donuts here the leica filter with the step down to 55mm will be the answer.

I just bought a reducing 58-55 adapter on the bay, but no luck, it's a little bit to big in outer dimension, the hood don't fit over (like with the 60mm filter). :mad:

Have to reduce outer diameter with a lathe.

So look out what for an adapter you take, don't buy blind and try first. ;)

Hi.

I just bought a reducing 58-55 adapter on the bay, but no luck, it's a little bit to big in outer dimension, the hood don't fit over (like with the 60mm filter). :mad:

Have to reduce outer diameter with a lathe.

So look out what for an adapter you take, don't buy blind and try first. ;)

My 58-55 adapter is the same, i can't fit the hood over the adapter, but i can however

put on the hood, and then screw the 58-55 adapter in place with it's filter, have you tried this..?