Ouch! Damaged lenses

TheGodParticle/Hari

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The lens didn’t suffer any damage, thanks to the filter which took the full brunt of the hit 

In all my years of photography, these are the only two incidents where equipment got damaged. And I hope it stays that way 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

That quite the horror story Bill! My heart would probably have skipped a few beats till I picked up the lens to see the damage 🤯 

Glad you got away with a minor dent and didn’t have to hear about it from your dad for years to come 😀 

I hope you kept that mount as a memoir … not many drop a Noctilux in their lifetimes and get away with it for cheap! 

Yup, the mount lives in my spare Leica parts box in its original box and tissue paper! A constant reminder of how lucky I am at times.

• Like 1

I once dropped a summaron reissue from eye level, my heights bout 172cm, on an MP, accidentally pressed the release button while focusing and it was stiffed 

sorry got no pictures no more, it was hurtful, but luckily only damaged the filter just a pain to take it off the threads  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

The lens didn’t suffer any damage, thanks to the filter which took the full brunt of the hit 

In all my years of photography, these are the only two incidents where equipment got damaged. And I hope it stays that way 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

One of many reasons why i always have a filter in my lens, coz i dont use a cap and hood, guess the filter is the last wall

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jakontil said:

I once dropped a summaron reissue from eye level, my heights bout 172cm, on an MP, accidentally pressed the release button while focusing and it was stiffed 

sorry got no pictures no more, it was hurtful, but luckily only damaged the filter just a pain to take it off the threads  

Hope it wasn’t a black summaron! Seems like the filters and hoods are doing a decent job of taking the hit and sparing the lens itself 

I hear you on the pain of taking the filter off the threads, I wasn’t able to remove the filter on the SL-50/1.4 

1 minute ago, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

Hope it wasn’t a black summaron! Seems like the filters and hoods are doing a decent job of taking the hit and sparing the lens itself 

I hear you on the pain of taking the filter off the threads, I wasn’t able to remove the filter on the SL-50/1.4 

Luckily it ws not, but the barrels become loose, i think more due to the fact i forced myself into taking it off 😀😀😀

well hari, this is going to be one scariest thread you started off

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, jakontil said:

One of many reasons why i always have a filter in my lens, coz i dont use a cap and hood, guess the filter is the last wall

Same. I have a filter on all my lenses and I seldom use hoods or caps. A small wipe with the cleaning cloth, and whatever little dust settles from use or the bag is easily removed

• Like 3

Just now, jakontil said:

Luckily it ws not, but the barrels become loose, i think more due to the fact i forced myself into taking it off 😀😀😀

well hari, this is going to be one scariest thread you started off

Man you must’ve put some muscle into removing the filter 😁 

Someone had to start such a thread, might as well be me 😄

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

Yikes! Did the filter come off easily?

Similar situation with my SL-50/1.4, do see the photo below

Hope your lens is focusing correctly? 

Couldn't get the dented filter off by hand.  Someone suggested wrapping a rubber band around the filter but that didn't work either.  I ordered a filter grip from B&H and that worked like a charm - filter was off in 2 seconds. 

The lens is perfect.  Focuses perfectly.  I thought the thread might be damaged but a new filter screwed on smoothly.  This lens in particular is built like a tank.

2 hours ago, ELAN said:

Couldn't get the dented filter off by hand.  Someone suggested wrapping a rubber band around the filter but that didn't work either.  I ordered a filter grip from B&H and that worked like a charm - filter was off in 2 seconds. 

The lens is perfect.  Focuses perfectly.  I thought the thread might be damaged but a new filter screwed on smoothly.  This lens in particular is built like a tank.

I wasn't aware of what a filter grip is, so I googled it … and ordered 2 right away.
Thank you for the heads up! 

21 hours ago, tedd said:

My 50 Lux had the same accident. I ended up just panel beating it myself.

Glad it worked out for you, and reinforces my experience that hoods and filters can help by taking the hit and protecting the lens 🍻

The hood on my Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH chrom copy is also damaged, my friend who caused the damage is no longer with us. So I keep it that way. I’ll never get it fixed or sell the lens. So silly when I look back that I was a bit annoyed … fast forward, now I treasure that same damaged hood as a memory. 

Apologies to all for the sentimental off topic. Something I read online somewhere: “things were meant to be used, and people were meant to be loved. Sadly, things are being loved and people are being used.”

Back to the topic - we still haven’t seen any horrific damage. Cmon people, show us your scars! 

• Like 5