Back to the M (M11 + 21mm sem)

paulscr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there - no real point to this post - sharing my excitement after a moment of madness ordering an m11 and a 21mm sem. It’s been 5 years since my last Leica (Q) and before that had an m9 and mp - always found myself missing the m9 experience. 

On lens choice - fancied something different and challenging. Loving the interest captured with a super wide and will spend time getting to know this lens (and was inspired by the Tim Page video on his ‘21’). 

Thats all for now - will report back. Enjoy the holidays, all. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, THEME said:

21 is a very challenging focal length, yet also much rewarding. If you're without distortion and bends in the corner, you're up to some things special. 21mm can tell a whole lot more story than the more established focal lengths. Please share visual results, @paulscr!

Main 21 challenges? You have to be closer and frame invites more distraction, composition with a 35 or even 50 is considerably more demanding yet more rewarding with wider lenses. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, THEME said:

Main 21 challenges? You have to be closer and frame invites more distraction, composition with a 35 or even 50 is considerably LESS demanding yet more rewarding with wider lenses. 

Hate there is no edit button... of course it should say as above. Zooming in? Easy.

The 21SEM is a very good lens. I use it every time I need such a view, especially in cities like New York or Hong-Kong. If "framing" is an issue, LV is the right anwser. But it general, if you know the lens (in such conditions) you can use it without any exact contral of the framing. The rest is done in LR

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SiggiGun said:

The 21SEM is a very good lens. I use it every time I need such a view, especially in cities like New York or Hong-Kong. If "framing" is an issue, LV is the right anwser. But it general, if you know the lens (in such conditions) you can use it without any exact contral of the framing. The rest is done in LR

Agreed. I have a 21mm viewfinder but rarely use it with the 21SEM as it seems to capture everything my mind imagines it captures, and perhaps just a little bit more so I rarely accidentally crop something important. It also seems to match the deep corners of the rangefinder for me if I move my head/eye around the frame. I have heard others say this about 24mm, but for me if I rely on my mind's eye or the viewfinder extremes for 24mm then I will invariably crop something important. Perhaps I am just more used to 21mm.

I now have in my possession a 24mm Elmarit and 18SEM, so the 21SEM is fairly superfluous but I couldn't bring myself to sell it as it is the smallest of the 3 and such a perfect companion to a 35mm.

Enjoy your M11+21SEM journey!

Star SE is a perfect lens for hyper focal shooting.  Set it right and you don’t even have to look through the RF or EVF

these where taken from the hip so to speak 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by S Maclean
images not rendering
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great photos, thanks for sharing and inspiring  

I’m a couple of weeks in with the m11 and 21sem and thoroughly enjoying being reacquainted with the rangefinder (and improvements from the m9) - my only gripe - the diopter size is bigger! So that’s another £170. 

Apart from that, not planning any extras for now, just enjoying the challenge of the 21mm. As others, I don’t think I’ll bother with a 21mm view finder - I’m good with the range finder and double check the live view.  

at some point I’ll add a ‘lux, probably 50mm, then agonise over 28mm (complimentary) or 35mm (smaller size). 

• Like 1

Congrats! I love the 21mm Super Elmar. I would shoot about 40-50% of my photos with it. So incredibly sharp and a fun focal length. Look forward to seeing more of your images with it. 

• Like 6

Fist pix of the new year on the 21sem 

• Like 1