Can someone please explain to me what this is for?

Huss

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This card came in the box with my new film scratching 2022 M6.

Can someone please explain to me what it refers to?  The packaging?  The owner's manual?  What exactly was meticulously examined by this professional?

Because obviously not the camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 3

Often thought the same… had 4 new leica cameras in the past 6 years or so and each of them had issues that might have been recognized if the signee on the mentioned card would have done their job right. But the quality assurance seems to be lacking at leica like anywhere else. 

No way!!!!! I also got those cards with these cameras too!!!

• Like 1

It seems to me that essentially any time the camera back is opened, the chance that a particle can enter the camera is present…  so rather than blaming quality control automatically, it could be the user that causes the issue… just saying…. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lmans said:

It seems to me that essentially any time the camera back is opened, the chance that a particle can enter the camera is present…  so rather than blaming quality control automatically, it could be the user that causes the issue… just saying…. 

It's certainly possible that a particle could enter the camera while loading/unloading film, but I think it's very unlikely that such a loose particle would stay in one place over the course of an entire roll so as to scratch the entire roll in the same position on the film. My money is on a manufacturing defect in the pressure plate of @Huss's camera. 

Edited by logan2z
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lmans said:

That's typically not what scratches film in the way the OP's is. But yeah, always blame the customer... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lmans said:

There are many things that can scratch film in use, another one is if you keep the roll in a pocket and some dust/grit gets stuck in the light trap, or of course it can get scratched in the processing (although not in this case).

I think we can take the OP at his word that as far as he's concerned it was the camera that caused this scratch.

I do wonder if it's more likely to be something on the body of the camera rather than the pressure plate though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lmans said:

I’m meticulous w my gear. I sell my work. 4 rolls of film - including the final test roll - with the three sets of scratches across the length of film in the identical places.

Film developed at different places. Last test roll left undeveloped and given to Leica.

I knew sooner or later a fan boi would try to claim user error!

5 hours ago, Huss said:

I’m meticulous w my gear. I sell my work. 4 rolls of film - including the final test roll - with the three sets of scratches across the length of film in the identical places.

Film developed at different places. Last test roll left undeveloped and given to Leica.

I knew sooner or later a fan boi would try to claim user error!

I agree, random dust or grit will never be the problem as it gets transported away as the film is wound on. In over forty years and a multitude of cheap P&S cameras to many, many Nikons and Leica's (and many other makes as well) I've never seen persistent scratches on the film, in fact I don't think I've ever seen scratches on the film caused by the camera. But I definitely think there is something in the idea that somehow the current design or quality control by Leica is faulty, if my 2002 MP (four screw pressure plate) doesn't scratch the film why does a 2022 camera do it!

1 hour ago, madNbad said:

Since the Ektar half frame has proven to give you scratch free negative, maybe Kodak could start putting in those little cards like you find in a pack of underwear, "Inspected by #24"?

Interestingly, my underwear has never scratched my, er, ‘film’.

Maybe Leica should outsource their QA to the underwear people?

• Haha 3

Another way that might cause scratches, at least on one roll.... is if you rewind the film all the way into the film canister. Even though the felt looks like it might be 'easy' on the film, it isn't always. Perhaps dust got into the film roll via the felt and stayed there. Just an idea. And to tag onto that....if you pull the film out of the canister to wind onto the spool when developing, it can also cause scratches if you pull thru the felt. I have seen film felt causing issues. Now, if you have several rolls of film that are scratched and all in the same place, well...it is the  camera then. 

But no....I am not 'blaming the customer'...but we all know how easy it is to blame the company, as opposed to looking at oneself. 

13 hours ago, 69xchange said:

No way!!!!! I also got those cards with these cameras too!!!

How come between 16 and 17 you have no space...looks like the film wasn't advanced all the way and the two almost overlapped but didn't...just no space in between shots. Look at 17 and 18, where there is space... ? 

1 hour ago, lmans said:

Another way that might cause scratches, at least on one roll.... is if you rewind the film all the way into the film canister. Even though the felt looks like it might be 'easy' on the film, it isn't always. Perhaps dust got into the film roll via the felt and stayed there. Just an idea. And to tag onto that....if you pull the film out of the canister to wind onto the spool when developing, it can also cause scratches if you pull thru the felt. I have seen film felt causing issues. Now, if you have several rolls of film that are scratched and all in the same place, well...it is the  camera then. 

But no....I am not 'blaming the customer'...but we all know how easy it is to blame the company, as opposed to looking at oneself. 

No, because again, four rolls of different film with the exact same fault.  I am directly and completely blaming the company.

10 minutes ago, Huss said:

No, because again, four rolls of different film with the exact same fault.  I am directly and completely blaming the company.

In that case…. I agree. 4 rolls of film = camera issue. Makes you want to wish you kept the other copy:) ha! … hey, best of luck on this. In today’s work environment, I don’t believe we can blame companies as the work ethic of many, in all countries , is less then in prior years. Competition to survive is so fierce and the pool of qualified candidates for employment has fallen. It seems that people now have little ‘true connection’ to a companies mission. A sign of the times. I do believe that Leica itself is committed to quality and do the best they can given population of employee pool to draw from; balanced by necessity of company profits. 

I am a Leica fanboy… as all of us are on this forum, as we all invest thousands of dollars into our gear. The company is still tops in my book as I compare quality of product, service etc… in relation to Canon, Nikon ( barely surviving)… Olympus ( sold out) etc. My sage is for you to accept this issue ( as I feel you are) and move forward knowing that Leica is still the best out there….:)

• Like 1