Using Minolta Rokkor lenses with M-adapter

UliWer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Before I bought my first Leica I had a Minolta X 700 and was very fond of the W-Rokkor 1:2.8/24mm. Every time I looked on old photos taken with this lens I regretted having sold it. Today I found a very good copy and a Leitz 22233 adapter (originally made to use the Minolta lenses with the Leicina).

Though I think there is a problem adapting this lens. The 22233 adapter does its job, but the lens has a small part which pressures on the adapter's flange. It can be seen here in the photo between the red dot and the "24" mark:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This little part is so tight on the adapter's flange that you almost cannot change f-stops. It works with a lot of force though this isn't convenient. I don't think its a "fault" of the adaper, since the flange's surface is just flat. 

Anybody using Rokkor lenses with adapter on the M has had any similar experience? I already thought of filing off the little metal part so that it doesn't apply so much pressure on the adapter's flange, though before taking such radical measures I'd like to know if there is a better solution. 

I see similar metal parts on the aperture ring of all my Rokkor lenses (17/4, 45/2, 50/2 and 58/1.4).

I use them on my M246M with a K&F MD to M adapter and this metal part on all my lenses runs free from the adapter.

The metal part is probably there to communicate the aperture from the lens to certain Minolta SLR's and for use on your M cameras I think filing it off so it doesn't rub to your adapter is probably fine, but you might jeopardise the operation when the lens gets mounted back on a Minolta SLR.

Edited by pegelli
  • Thanks 1

I have the 24mm MC and use it with a nameless adapter (MD -L/M) in manual mode. The black metal part of the lens runs free from the adapter. I have no idea what the function of this part is.

Edited by jankap
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, jankap said:

I have no idea what the function of this part is.

Meter coupling tab, similar the the Ai tab found on Nikkor lenses. I think that a good adapter will be machined so that the tab runs free. Why the 22233 binds is baffling since Minolta MC and MD lenses will have this tab. Personally I'd try to source a better adapter than the Leica one. 

• Like 1