Brand new MP/M-A/M6 film scratches [Merged]

Are you sure you checked the manual properly? Maybe you are supposed to put the camera in a film loading dark bag, open the back door and cock the shutter and repeat for each shot...

Jokes aside, I hope they will fix it or replace it for you very quickly. I am planning to buy a new M one day, I'll make sure to follow your advice and test for scratch before paying for it...

Edited by Aryel

1 hour ago, TheBestSLIsALeicaflex said:

Leica often has issues with new bodies.  Never be first in line.  Absent brand loyalty they's get roasted, but usually the issues can be fixed.  Scratching oil though, you'd think they learn from the R8 days.  

Ah, yes, I recall now owning an R8 that scratched the film. Fun camera to use for the short time I had it other than that. 

And my new black paint M10-R had a way out of whack rangefinder out of the box. It does seem sometimes that Leica's QC dept only works on  Monday mornings...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

44 minutes ago, andrew01 said:

Huss, that is very disappointing to read.  In circumstances like this I would email the CEO directly.

https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-12132

Thanks for that link Andrew, very interesting!

As Leica NJ already has it I will first see how that goes.

11 hours ago, Sunyforreal said:

I know everyone wants the hot newness, but with Leica’s QC as of late (with film bodies)…

You haven’t seen the new 35mm FLE II shipped with defective aperture blades?

Or when they first shipped the 50 Apo M and forgot to put the anti flare coating inside the lens body?

30 minutes ago, Huss said:

You haven’t seen the new 35mm FLE II shipped with defective aperture blades?

Or when they first shipped the 50 Apo M and forgot to put the anti flare coating inside the lens body?

I wasn’t around for the 50 APO situation but I’ve definitely been paying to the FLE II craziness. The big difference is Leica has been making M analog cameras for almost 70 years. Just seems kinda crazy to me to be having issues like scratching film with a new camera.

Since the 1960s I've used hard black Arkansas stones on problem pressure plates. They are used to sharpen surgical blades and can provide a mirror finish. Probably close to 9,000 grit equivalent. Flat stone on the flat plate keeps it flat and can remove any protrusions that could scratch.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Huss said:

Otherwise people would have just been standing around holding camera bodies wondering what they were supposed to do with them.

Well you *could* put the LTM lens on... with full RF coupling at that.

Edited by Al Brown

1 minute ago, TomB_tx said:

Since the 1960s I've used hard black Arkansas stones on problem pressure plates. They are used to sharpen surgical blades and can provide a mirror finish. Probably close to 9,000 grit equivalent. Flat stone on the flat plate keeps it flat and can remove any protrusions that could scratch.

I could see perhaps using that on an old camera bought used.  But this is a brand new fresh out of the box warrantied camera.  And some of the scratches appear to come from the pressure plate screws.  

Anyone deciding to get the new M6 should be glad someone bought one and immediately put it to use. Too many times a new release will end up with a collector who may decide to sell it years later after the warranty has expired. Hopefully, Leica will look at this as more than a one time occurrence and make the correction. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Musky said:

I don’t shoot film. So to make it clear for me, what area are we talking about that can scratch the film? 

The most common place seems to be the Film Pressure Plate (see the label at the top left of the photo).

The pressure plate should actually barely touch the film, as it rests on the outer higher rails and the film rides between these rails on two lower rails making a channel for the film under the plate. I wonder if the height of rails is an issue on the new cameras.

• Like 1

• andybarton changed the title to Brand new MP/M-A/M6 film scratches [Merged]